• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Art Galleries at Sea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many years ago we use to attend the art auctions on Royal Caribbean ships. On one occasion we got talking to a guy at the auction who told us he bought a painting from a ships auction and had it shipped to his home address. When he received the painting it was not in the same frame it was at the auction. When he questioned this he was informed it was the painting he bought and you do not always receive the painting in the same frame you saw on the ship. The whole thing sounded very dodgy to us and we have never been to a ship auction since.

Comment

We attended an auction on a Princess cruise once, Stood at the back and not daring to so much as scratch our noses. It was quite interesting but the prices were ridiculously overpriced, IMHO anyway.

We did spot a lovely picture of a woman with her back turned looking out of a window to a beautiful sunset, She had a red dress on pulled around her shoulders and it was quite sensual, When we enquired how much we were told $12,000. !! Where do they get their prices from is beyond me. Jan.

Comment

I'm not remotely arty and rarely give the so called art on ships more than a passing glance. I wouldn't have most of it for free to be honest.

Comment

I would not buy a piece of art onboard. We have an excellent local gallery where we buy our pictures. 15 limited edition enhanced prints and one original to date.

Comment

I just don't understand why art galleries at sea divide opinion so much.

If I was cruising, saw something I wanted at the price I was happy to pay, I would buy it. To me it is no different to any other concession on board, I see the Pandora desk selling loads of charms, all the high street bags and cosmetics but no one say's they would never buy from them.

Cunard has been mentioned and there is a Whitewall gallery near where I live. I saw the same sculpture for sale in there that was also a limited edition on board, and in fact I could have bought it cheaper on the ship than the shop.

Artists these days don't always paint the picture personally and David Hockney uses technology to produce works, which leads to a whole other argument as to what constitutes 'art'

Caveat Emptor..Carol

Comment

I go for the drink ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                I just don't understand why art galleries at sea divide opinion so much.

If I was cruising, saw something I wanted at the price I was happy to pay, I would buy it. To me it is no different to any other concession on board, I see the Pandora desk selling loads of charms, all the high street bags and cosmetics but no one say's they would never buy from them.

Cunard has been mentioned and there is a Whitewall gallery near where I live. I saw the same sculpture for sale in there that was also a limited edition on board, and in fact I could have bought it cheaper on the ship than the shop.

Artists these days don't always paint the picture personally and David Hockney uses technology to produce works, which leads to a whole other argument as to what constitutes 'art'

Caveat Emptor..Carol
                I think it's because when the general cruising fraternity hear the words ''art at sea'', they think ''auctions'' rather than bona fide art gallery extensions, albeit at sea.

I have seen some wonderful original paintings I'd love to have on my walls at home. Maybe one day. Until then, Giclée might be a good alternative...unless I can persuade a good friend to paint ''in the style of''...

Comment

Unfortunately my paint 'in the style of' is...Congo the chimp!. Although to be fair Desmond Morris thought he was talented...Carol

Comment

I am not interested in the art auctions, however I become very annoyed when the Sky Lounge on Celebrity's S Class ships is "taken over" for these art sales. Jen

Comment

I glance at the art work and sculptures as I’m walking through but never look at the prices.
                      Mind you I do get nervous when hubby is with me as while on Costa Sirena he has knocked down all the art work that were sitting on easels. They all fell down in a domino effect when he bent down to look at one. 🙈 I couldn’t move for laughing and one of the sellers was the same but the other informed him if any were damaged he’d need to buy them! Aye right so I will not said hubby!
                      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                        Unfortunately my paint 'in the style of' is...Congo the chimp!. Although to be fair Desmond Morris thought he was talented...Carol
                        I can paint like Lowery..........matchstick men! 🙈😂😂😂
                        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We used to go to the auctions as they always served some fizz 😁🥂. We never really saw anything that floated our boat as they say so we’ve never made a purchase of artwork onboard. We have a collection of prints by Bob Richardson although we still have to get some of them framed. We do have an original watercolour by my hubby’s late boss of a mountain pass in California which has pride of place in our living room.

Take care, Helen

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X