• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you mind!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you mind!

We, in particular Ida, have a real hate.

It concerns the modern fad of people wearing rucksacks. Without exception these wearers seem to be totally oblivious of anyone to their side or behind them. Ida is a little short in stature and has been biffed and bashed by these rucksack wearers in the streets, on transport, in shops, in lifts in fact almost everywhere and often with her they are facial bashes.

Is it just us or are others affected by this menace and does anyone have a reasonable answer as to how to make the wearers aware or even how to avoid being splatted by them? ..... Ida and Neil

I always use a rucksack when walking into the village to do some shopping. I have yet to ''splat'' anyone.

Comment

Have to say I have never been bashed by a rucksack in the face or anywhere else, though being almost six feet tall helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
        I always use a rucksack when walking into the village to do some shopping. I have yet to ''splat'' anyone.
        As always..... Considerate to a fault ......Neil and Ida

Comment

Unfortunately Neil, some people have no spatial awareness. I don’t need a rucksack to bump into anybody as I can be very clumsy. I tend to use a tote bag and I have a tendency to knock things over with it, rather like the proverbial bull in a china shop. You may just have to advise these people to watch where they are going when you and Ida are around.

Take care, Helen

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
            We, in particular Ida, have a real hate.

It concerns the modern fad of people wearing rucksacks. Without exception these wearers seem to be totally oblivious of anyone to their side or behind them. Ida is a little short in stature and has been biffed and bashed by these rucksack wearers in the streets, on transport, in shops, in lifts in fact almost everywhere and often with her they are facial bashes.

Is it just us or are others affected by this menace and does anyone have a reasonable answer as to how to make the wearers aware or even how to avoid being splatted by them? ..... Ida and Neil
            Not often I agree with you Neil but I am with you on this one. It doesn’t happen out in big spaces but surely does in busy spaces.

Another one that annoys me is the plastic baskets on wheels with long handles in some stores people trail behind them, completely oblivious as to how much of the aisle it it taking up making it difficult to pass at times.

Comment

I'm in agreement on this one. I am frequently bashed by inconsiderate rucksack wearers. How hard is it to carry the wretched thing in confined spaces and hoist it on your back when there is room to do so?

Comment

I often wear a rucksack when shopping or when ashore on a cruise. I am very careful not to splat anyone.

Like wise, if I am not wearing a rucksack, I give those that are a wide berth.
                Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                  Hi Mrs M
                  Is your village Main Street like Liverpool?Not much room for a rucksack here...

image.jpeg
                  JC

​​​​​​​
                  C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                  "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Interesting.

I've visited Liverpool twice, on Queen Victoria trips. Rucksacks 'r me each time.

Had no trouble! Obviously, they knew rucksack quality when they saw it and the crowd parted before me and allowed me to sail through, rucksack and all.

Comment

That pic was probably taken during the Christmas period, I was in Liverpool yesterday (and most days) not crowded like that at all.
                      never had a problem with folk and rucksacks!

Comment

Absolutely spot on Neil.

Rucksacks are a modern way that inconsiderate users can inflict great inconvenience and pain on others. They seem totally oblivious to the extra lump on their back, especially when in confined spaces like buses, trains and, worst of all, in the aisle of a plane when boarding. They insist on wearing them right to the seat and then perform a contortion act to get it off, causing total mayhem. And as for that inevitable rush to stand up on arrival and grab your bags from the lockers they have the obvious right to repeat their contortion in reverse despite there being ten people occupying the immediate space around them.

They should be banned in any area except the real outdoors, or worn to the front of course.

Cheers

Tony B

Comment

For me it’s not just rucksacks that bang into you. Ladies with big handbags, men with work tool bags, people with shopping bags etc are all dangerous.

PS I very rarely use a handbag. 😀
                          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

I have considered getting a small rucksack for using ashore but would be worried someone could access it without me noticing, I always carry my bag tightly under my arm wary of pickpockets.

I have seen people wearing them on their fronts but that isn't something I fancy doing.

Anyone who has used them ashore had any problems and are there rucksacks that offer good security?...Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                              I have considered getting a small rucksack for using ashore but would be worried someone could access it without me noticing, I always carry my bag tightly under my arm wary of pickpockets.

I have seen people wearing them on their fronts but that isn't something I fancy doing.

Anyone who has used them ashore had any problems and are there rucksacks that offer good security?...Carol
                              I did on one occasion Carol when in Prague. Fortunately, I was very aware of the dangers of pickpockets and heard someone trying to open the zip. When I turned round, a group of lads backed off because they knew that had been rumbled.

I am now very wary as to when NOT to use a rucksack and instead, I take a bag that goes over my shoulder so that I can tuck it under my arm. I wouldn't take a small rucksack instead of a bag in any big city but I think the opening post was referring to bigger rucksacks.

Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X