• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damaged luggage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a set of fairly expensive luggage, but wouldn't dream of taking them on a cruise, as this often includes return flights, in some cases 4 flights, and occasionally 6 flights plus cruise ship handlers, which means they can be kicked around up to 8 times.on one holiday.

The only time our 'expensive' cases are used is for city type breaks, handled by ourselves.

As I stated in an earlier post I calculate the cost of renewal at about £5 -£6 per trip, less than the cost of a drink on most cruise ships...............Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

If you want light and cheap IT are OK.
      With most cheaper luggage it is the wheels that go first.
      Often the bracket fail or the wheels split.

Our £30-£40 large IT lightest 4w case has probably done over 30 cruises + other trips.
      The case is fine, the wheels need servicing/scrapping.

There are plenty more robust ones in the £50-£100 bracket.

Comment

We had IT prior to buying these, found they only lasted one or two trips hence thinking we were doing the right thing by upgrading. Completely understand it's the way of the world but why do people not respect other's property

Comment

Sorry to hear that Tim, very frustrating, especially when you invest in a matching set

I have had a soft sided Antler pull along and matching back pack for around 10 years and both are still going strong. the pull along is more holdall than a suitcase and I have only ever seen one other so its easy to spot on the carousel, hope to get lots more life out of it yet.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
            If you want light and cheap IT are OK.
            With most cheaper luggage it is the wheels that go first.
            Often the bracket fail or the wheels split.

Our £30-£40 large IT lightest 4w case has probably done over 30 cruises + other trips.
            The case is fine, the wheels need servicing/scrapping.

There are plenty more robust ones in the £50-£100 bracket.
            Just purchased two IT, one large, one medium, for two reasons. (a) they are the lightest, and (b) they are one of the few makes left that only have two wheels.

The current trend for 4 wheeled luggage is OK for posing in the airport foyer , but they look so damn fragile, i doubt they would survive one trip.............Wilba
            Wilba

Comment

4 wheel with 23kg load can be a lot easier to move around than 2 wheel especialy over distance much less tiring and less strain on arms.
              Medium and cabin less of a problem

The 2 wheel with embedded, skate wheels can be made a lot more robust and can have larger volume for a given set of dimensions which can be an advantage.

Comment

We bought Samsonite hard bodied suitcases approx 11 years ago. Yes they are a wee bit heavier and have scratches but they have stood the test of time and many flights but one was damaged at Southampton port!

I’m guessing my case was handled roughly and our number combination lock was damaged. This was caused at Southampton on boarding P&O. Hubby tried different combinations to try and unlock it with no effect. I then phoned customer relation desk if they had a TSA key to unlock it but the person I spoke to didn’t know what I was talking about. I then asked for someone to come and try and unlock it but it took them over 24hrs and several phone calls later for someone to come to the cabin!
                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
                  Hi all, have you ever had your luggage damaged?

I bought a new set of Antler Saturn luggage last year, and Air France have damaged the large case heavily today, with big dents in it. We have a set of six matching cases and they won't replace it like for like. I'm far from happy!
                  Yes

MSC completely smashed the TSA lock on my Carlton case, the person I spoke to shrugged her shoulders and said "Claim from your insurance. We don't offer any compensation"

and that was it, they washed their hands of it completely. one of the rare black marks against MSC in my book.

Completely different to RCI, who gave me $150 OBC ,for my next cruise (which was already booked with them.) for damage to my luggage, .They also gave me $500 OBC for the problems with the hotel pre cruise and delayed luggage post cruise.
                  $£650 OBC was very handy on the following cruise.

The person , a Vice president to whom I had written, who dealt with the complaint phoned me at home from Miami to ask what I felt they could do for me and then phoned me a second tome to confirm the offer.

Brilliant Customer Service from RCI

Pete
                  Last edited by Pete, Caerphilly; 3rd April 2019, 10:19 PM.
                  Pete

sigpic
                  If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

Comment

I bought a new set of Antler Saturn luggage last year, and Air France have damaged the large case heavily today, with big dents in it. We have a set of six matching cases and they won't replace it like for like. I'm far from happy!
                    Did Air France damage it or thr airport baggage handlers?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

Did Air France damage it or thr airport baggage handlers?
                      My contract is with Air France therefore it's their problem, regardless of outsourcing baggage services

Comment

We flew to Florida as a family of 4 and one of the matching suit cases had been slashed diagonally, obviously to steal the contents but they lucked out as it was the children's clothing. We reported it and were given a baggage claim form. As we were in America we couldn't find a replacement to match we bought a similar sized one and they gave us the cost price, not ideal but we needed the case for the trip home so we accepted the offer.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X