• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damaged luggage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damaged luggage

Hi all, have you ever had your luggage damaged?

I bought a new set of Antler Saturn luggage last year, and Air France have damaged the large case heavily today, with big dents in it. We have a set of six matching cases and they won't replace it like for like. I'm far from happy!

Sorry to hear about the damage. Not surprised that Air France won't replace like for like unfortunately. I not sure any airline would - most frustrating. I think you would have to rely on your travel insurance for this but of course excesses would probably make that not a viable option.

Having seen how the luggage gets handled I am surprised and delighted that they appear in one piece at all.

Commiserations Tim.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
      Sorry to hear about the damage. Not surprised that Air France won't replace like for like unfortunately. I not sure any airline would - most frustrating. I think you would have to rely on your travel insurance for this but of course excesses would probably make that not a viable option.

Having seen how the luggage gets handled I am surprised and delighted that they appear in one piece at all.

Commiserations Tim.

Bill
      Hi Bill, I'm not necessarily meaning like for like as in the same set, but would expect a product of the same quality and price bracket, as they don't stock Antler they'd offer a cheaper brand

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post

Hi Bill, I'm not necessarily meaning like for like as in the same set, but would expect a product of the same quality and price bracket, as they don't stock Antler they'd offer a cheaper brand
        Sorry Tim, I got the wrong end of the stick.

That's totally unacceptable - I have Antler and they have always proven to be rugged and dependable. I choose screaming orange colour - so much easier to find on the carousel!

Is it a case of like it or lump it? Not sure how you could take that forward.

Rotten end to your holiday though.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

We treat luggage as a disposable item. Replace them about every 18 months based on a loss of about £5 or £6 per case per trip.........Wilba
          Wilba

Comment

Yep - I buy cheapish luggage, it's a consumable item. The trend for lightweight luggage is not going to result in the creation of strong cases anyway.

I did hear of a guy that found his clothes going around on the airport carousel. Somebody had stolen his expensive case!
            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Sorry Tim, I got the wrong end of the stick.

That's totally unacceptable - I have Antler and they have always proven to be rugged and dependable. I choose screaming orange colour - so much easier to find on the carousel!

Is it a case of like it or lump it? Not sure how you could take that forward.

Rotten end to your holiday though.

Bill
              That's why we went with Antler, and funnily enough of the two matching cases it's the lighter one (16kg) compared to the heavier (21.5) that's been damaged so clearly they've tried to throw it about. Just seems like in this life you can't have anything without some idiot wanting to ruin it

Comment

Think Antler may have dropped the saturn range.

In the last sale I think the 3pc set was £165 my notes are not complete.
                I went Prism

if not split some dents should push out but ABS is not as forgiving as PC or PP.

Underpacking flexible lightweight hard side increases risk of damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                  Think Antler may have dropped the saturn range.

In the last sale I think the 3pc set was £165 my notes are not complete.
                  I went Prism

if not split some dents should push out but ABS is not as forgiving as PC or PP.

Underpacking flexible lightweight hard side increases risk of damage.
                  It was full, couldn't get more in, just lighter than the other

Comment

I must admit,although most of our luggage matches,it's fairly cheap and wouldn't be mortified if a piece was damaged beyond repair.

Comment

This was from last year

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/201...ught-on-video/

Comment

I wouldn't buy hard sided - I don't like them and feel they could get easily damaged. We have had the normal Antler luggage for years and still look fine. I guess the material gives, to any knock it receives. They are always full too, so padded out to withstand bangs. A quick wipe down and we are always ready to go.

Comment

You might be lucky trying Amazon or Ebay to replace your case, or possibly TKMaxx who carry end of lines.

Comment

Most luggage has some sort of gaurantee, my guess though is it wont cover damaged caused such as yours but there are some burgandy Saturn ones on ebay atm

Comment

Hard is actually a bit of a miss description as they are far from being hard the newer cases are very tough and flexible.
                              Aim for polycarbonate or polypropylene over ABS.

a rubbish program but does show how flexible cases can be, start at around 2:10 intro or 2:30 test start to 3:58
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WdDGp35SOw

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X