• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VAT when in Port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT when in Port

Do all cruise lines charge VAT when alongside in UK, so does it appear as an additional charge when buying drinks at the bar?

As far as I'm aware it is only when in Spanish waters that VAT is charged as extra.

The American lines will add a service charge to your drink which will appear as an additional charge, ie Celebrity, Cunard, RCL, Princess, but P&O and Fred Olsen don't.

Mind you I haven't cruised for over 2 years, so things could have changed

Comment

Originally posted by karenm, karenm View Post
      Do all cruise lines charge VAT when alongside in UK, so does it appear as an additional charge when buying drinks at the bar?
      As far as I am aware Cunard and P&O prices are the same when on board in Southampton on embarkation day as when at sea.

Comment

I have recently returned from a Marella Med cruise where all ports were Spanish bar one.
        No additional VAT was applied at any point..........Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

I am sailing on Virgin from Portsmouth and apparently when alongside they add 20% to the drinks prices. I don’t understand why some cruise lines do this and others don’t.

Comment

Just because some ships don't itemise VAT does not mean it is not getting paid.

some may just absorb the cost, some it won't apply as they are AI prepaid.

There was some legislation when UK in the EU that allowed UK cruise to be VAT free if they did a foreign port, St.Peter Port was popular.
            There was other legislation dealing with exemptions for ferry business to keep them running.

No idea what the current situation is now we are out.

Probably still depend on the ports.

Comment

Originally posted by karenm, karenm View Post
              I am sailing on Virgin from Portsmouth and apparently when alongside they add 20% to the drinks prices. I don’t understand why some cruise lines do this and others don’t.
              Virgin only started trading post-Brexit.

Probably this has been agreed with HMRC.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X