• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beating Norovirus......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    Hi LRR

I understand why you do this - once bitten, twice shy.

For myself, I scrub my hands a lot when on a cruise and that works for me.

Annie

Frequent hand and washing and gelling works for me too.

Our news just just reported an outbreak in a local university residence and referred to it as 'cruise ship disease' as if it never occurred anywhere else.

Sheila

Comment

We have never had it but have friends who have , pretty grim , one reason we like having a balcony cabin , if you are not allowed to leave your cabin you always have a bit of fresh air ,

Comment

Originally posted by Jenkin, EA View Post
        Hi all. I contracted the virus on a Princess ship, after being very, very careful to wash hands, use the gel, etc. etc. When the nurse came to our stateroom to give me an injection to stop the vomiting she informed us that the virus is also airborne, therefore, it is difficult to avoid if another passenger has it and is mixing with the rest of us. Jen
        It is not an airborne virus as such, unless your nearby, as has been said wash hands and don't stick them in your mouth, really quite simple.

When someone vomits outside of a closed-in room (such as a bathroom) the act of vomiting produces a mist or spray that can send airborne particles into the mouths and noses of anyone nearby. As well, vomit particles may land on all surfaces in a bathroom such as flusher handles, taps, counters, even toothbrushes or cups. These are highly contagious. Similarly, diapers and clothing with fecal matter are highly contagious. Cleanup immediately all surfaces with a bleach solution. Wear a mask.

The virus can be active outside a host (person) on surfaces such as counters, toilets, faucets, doorknobs and even clothing. It is unknown exactly how long the virus can live on such surfaces, as this depends on the number of viral particles, temperature, and the nature of the environment. Remember that you cannot catch it by just touching a doorknob. You would have to put your hand into your mouth. Therefore, hand-washing is imperative to prevention of transmission.

The main reason for all Norovirus outbreaks is poor hygiene, i.e., people defecating and not washing hands afterward, then contaminating surfaces or foods Note: Alcohol-based hand gels do not kill Norovirus!

Comment

Thankfully neither of us have had experience of NV. However my BIL went on a cruise with us and became ill within 24 hours. As a cancer patient still receiving treatment he was highly susceptible and always took extra care with hygiene. The doctor on board was convinced he had picked up the illness on board the airplane saying it was quite common for this to happen. No other cases were reported and he was confined to the cabin for 48 hours. Thankfully he was fit to enjoy the cruise from the first poc on.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
            It is not an airborne virus as such, unless your nearby, as has been said wash hands and don't stick them in your mouth, really quite simple.

When someone vomits outside of a closed-in room (such as a bathroom) the act of vomiting produces a mist or spray that can send airborne particles into the mouths and noses of anyone nearby. As well, vomit particles may land on all surfaces in a bathroom such as flusher handles, taps, counters, even toothbrushes or cups. These are highly contagious. Similarly, diapers and clothing with fecal matter are highly contagious. Cleanup immediately all surfaces with a bleach solution. Wear a mask.

The virus can be active outside a host (person) on surfaces such as counters, toilets, faucets, doorknobs and even clothing. It is unknown exactly how long the virus can live on such surfaces, as this depends on the number of viral particles, temperature, and the nature of the environment. Remember that you cannot catch it by just touching a doorknob. You would have to put your hand into your mouth. Therefore, hand-washing is imperative to prevention of transmission.

The main reason for all Norovirus outbreaks is poor hygiene, i.e., people defecating and not washing hands afterward, then contaminating surfaces or foods Note: Alcohol-based hand gels do not kill Norovirus!
            Hard to avoid when people are vomiting in a ship's restaurant ........ but I did

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
              Gentlemen

You are both better than this - JMO.

Annie
              Its entertaining though. lol

Comment

With regard to the restrooms. On Celebrity during main dining times, they tend to put a member of crew on duty who will not only constantly clean but act as the door monitor and open/close it so you dont have to touch anything and I recall some of the doors are automatic.

Comment

Can't remember which line but I do recall automatic doors with a large panel to the side you could just press with your elbow on the way out to open the door
                  It is pretty difficult to get your elbow in your mouth

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                    With regard to the restrooms. On Celebrity during main dining times, they tend to put a member of crew on duty who will not only constantly clean but act as the door monitor and open/close it so you dont have to touch anything and I recall some of the doors are automatic.
                    I never saw that at all during my December cruise.

We had one really rough day at sea. It was estimated half the passengers were ill and during that period, I was not aware of any extra cleaning.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                      Its entertaining though. lol
                      Must be the English SOH

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                        Plus 2

Also agree with Wilba.

I often think those who insist on cleaning there cabin or avoid touching certain parts of the ship, are more likely to finish up with a virus, because they have very little immune system.
                        i have a very good immune system built up over many years of working with children. It's not my immune system I worry about its the filthy personal hygiene habits of some people who we come in to contact with, without realising, I'm afraid to say that it's the elderly who are often the worse.

My nan refused to wash her hands at the door to the ward of a hospital when visiting my Aunt because she had washed them at home before she left. When I pointed out she had travelled in a taxi, held on to the hand rail in the lift, pressed the lift button and picked up a newspaper in the waiting room she was oblivious to the concerns I raised. I refused to help her any further until she washed them, we had a stand off so I shamed her with a passing nurse!

On Indy a few years ago with a Noro outbreak an elderly lady shouted at a staff member when he asked her to sanitise her hands before entering one of the shops. She really laid into the poor bloke and carried on her way without washing.

I once read on CC about a couple who always used the top drawer in their cabin as their dirty underwear storage.

If if my obsession with Dettol and hand washing/sanitising helps back up my immune system then I'm all for it. Much better than the alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
                          i have a very good immune system built up over many years of working with children. It's not my immune system I worry about its the filthy personal hygiene habits of some people who we come in to contact with, without realising, I'm afraid to say that it's the elderly who are often the worse.

My nan refused to wash her hands at the door to the ward of a hospital when visiting my Aunt because she had washed them at home before she left. When I pointed out she had travelled in a taxi, held on to the hand rail in the lift, pressed the lift button and picked up a newspaper in the waiting room she was oblivious to the concerns I raised. I refused to help her any further until she washed them, we had a stand off so I shamed her with a passing nurse!

On Indy a few years ago with a Noro outbreak an elderly lady shouted at a staff member when he asked her to sanitise her hands before entering one of the shops. She really laid into the poor bloke and carried on her way without washing.

I once read on CC about a couple who always used the top drawer in their cabin as their dirty underwear storage.

If if my obsession with Dettol and hand washing/sanitising helps back up my immune system then I'm all for it. Much better than the alternative.
                          So the bad hygiene habits of a few elderly people and you tar the elderly as being the worst to observe good hygiene habits.

I could say the same about all the men I see walk out of public toilets without washing their hands and tar them the same, especially when visiting packed motorway toilets.

Bad hygiene habits are not restricted by age or gender, they happen in all walks of life.

As an elderly person I regularly wash my hands and follow the guide lines given re personal hygiene, I also use the hand sanitisers provided when visiting public areas such as hospitals, hotels, restaurants, cruise ships etc, etc.

But like Wilba I let my immune system handle the rest and like Carol I think people are far too clinical these days which in my opinion has the affect of reducing our immune systems.
                          Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Hi,
                            I know its controversial but i think its poor hygiene particularly with Brits and Americans. The main cruise lines to suffer it are the ones catering for said clientele. We had to sign a health disclaimer to say you havent been ill to get on NCL, with MSC the ships are clean and there are fewer Brits and Americans, plus never heard of NV on board when we have been. We are always careful to gel our hands and wash, plus we tend to go back to the room to go to the bathroom.

I also think the cleaning regime on board is important. We've never had to clean the room as its always been done prior to arrival and if we find anything unclean its a quick call to the steward.

Plus Gin is a great disinfectant :-)

Andy

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                              Blimey, I'm not sure whether Noro is the problem or Paranoia reading this

In over 100 cruises I have never experienced Noro.

I don't enter the cabin in a forensic suit, clean everything in sight, delouse the TV remote, worry about handrail contamination or anything else.

I wash my hands when I leave the loo, gel on entering a restaurant and gel when reboarding at ports.

That's it! I let my immune system handle the rest.........Wilba
                              Hi Wilba, Perhaps if & when you experience the noro you will change your mind. Being continuously sick and running to the toilet for the other. Feeling absolutely terrible and being confined to your cabin for 4 days during your long awaited cruise and having all your meals brought to the cabin. Doesn't sound like much fun and it isn't plus loosing well over half a stone in the process. Does that sound like Paranoia. You can take it from me Noro was the problem. Hope your immune system continues to serve you well. By the way the alcohol gel is a waste of time as far as the noro is concerned read the NHS report on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                                So the bad hygiene habits of a few elderly people and you tar the elderly as being the worst to observe good hygiene habits.

I could say the same about all the men I see walk out of public toilets without washing their hands and tar them the same, especially when visiting packed motorway toilets.

Bad hygiene habits are not restricted by age or gender, they happen in all walks of life.

As an elderly person I regularly wash my hands and follow the guide lines given re personal hygiene, I also use the hand sanitisers provided when visiting public areas such as hospitals, hotels, restaurants, cruise ships etc, etc.

But like Wilba I let my immune system handle the rest and like Carol I think people are far too clinical these days which in my opinion has the affect of reducing our immune systems.

Delboy me saying that in my opinion based on what I have witnessed it's OFTEN the elderly is by no means TARRING them. It certainly wasn't my intention anyway. I'm quite aware it's not restrictive to any age, I was mearly giving an example.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X