• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beating Norovirus......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
    Like Neil, I try when I can to avoid holding onto the stair rails. If I have to - its gingerly one thumb one finger. I don't obsess about the cleanliness after all a little but of dirt does everyone good as it builds up the immune system.
    But I use the hand was stations whenever I see them, I carry a travel bottle of anti-bac hand wash gel in my bag in the daytime.

I do think its a good idea to wipe the remote over but if you saw the state of the one we have at home its probably a death trap to others lol.

Loo door, yes I try to nip out when others are holding the door or put my back into in rather than hand.

The predicament of the pink ponk machine and the hand gel always a problem. You have card in hand, just gone through security but ready to put into the dink machine, shopping in the other, girl insist you get a squirt of gel so where does the card go. More often than not as others have said between my teeth whilst I get rid of the gel, that or occasionally between the bra strap.
    Where does the card go when you get a squirt of gel?

It gets gelled too. I gell it on purpose a few times a day.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
      I actually think you should get some germs. People are way to clinical these days, with bleaches etc that kill everything. Then when they are subjected to a 'germ' they catch something!

If your going to clean remote controls, door handles, stair rails. Then you need to do light switches, air conditioning switch, backs of wooden chairs when you move them, sun loungers, trays that you pick up in the buffet. The list goes on and on......................Carol
      I do get germs. I'm constantly surrounded by horse sh*t, mud, animals, sneezing snotty kids, etc. I'm just hyper alert in hospitals, on cruise ships etc anywhere were there is a high concentrate of people.
      Hubby not so much and he went to visit his Dad in hospital before Christmas and I swear he bought a bug out with him. He was vomiting and the other within an hour of being home. Yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
        You can touch as many surfaces as you like just don't stick your fingers in your gob ..

Regards
        Garfield
        I don't have a "gob" although you obviously do....... putting infected fingers anywhere on the face is liable to allow cross-infection; worse still is around your eye/s and worst of all .....up your nose (especially for passengers in sight of you) . .....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
          With you Neil, apart from I have to hold hand rails on the stairs when descending, and Cunard often have main restroom doors propped open and also some have 'electronic squares' to elbow.
          Can't be bothered with this 'wiping down/disinfecting as much of the cabin as you can' lark. Washing hands thoroughly many times has worked for us over the last twenty five years of cruising and if I can avoid noro in school, when actually catching 'product' in my unprotected hands, through hand washing...I think I'll just stick to personal hygiene.
          Cunard normally only fasten the "Restroom" doors when they have cases of NV aboard either on this cruise or the last one so it is a sign to be even more attentive to hygiene. .....Neil

Comment

Blimey, I'm not sure whether Noro is the problem or Paranoia reading this

In over 100 cruises I have never experienced Noro.

I don't enter the cabin in a forensic suit, clean everything in sight, delouse the TV remote, worry about handrail contamination or anything else.

I wash my hands when I leave the loo, gel on entering a restaurant and gel when reboarding at ports.

That's it! I let my immune system handle the rest.........Wilba
            Wilba

Comment

I actually think you should get some germs. People are way to clinical these days, with bleaches etc that kill everything. Then when they are subjected to a 'germ' they catch something!

If your going to clean remote controls, door handles, stair rails. Then you need to do light switches, air conditioning switch, backs of wooden chairs when you move them, sun loungers, trays that you pick up in the buffet. The list goes on and on......................Carol
              Plus 1

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                I don't have a "gob" although you obviously do....... putting infected fingers anywhere on the face is liable to allow cross-infection; worse still is around your eye/s and worst of all .....up your nose (especially for passengers in sight of you) . .....Neil
                Coming from the forum member with the biggest and most obnoxious one I find that ironic....stick that up your nose...or where the sun don't shine...I don't care which.

Regards
                Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

I don't enter the cabin in a forensic suit, clean everything in sight, delouse the TV remote, worry about handrail contamination or anything else.

I wash my hands when I leave the loo, gel on entering a restaurant and gel when reboarding at ports.

With you all the way Wilba,if I did not hold onto the handrails i would fall down the stairs(an old seamans saying,,1 hand for the ship and one for yourself)

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

Thanks for the voice of reason Wilba. Seabourn supply small bottles of sanitiser for trips ashore and I take hand wipes. We drink only the bottles of water from the ship and don't eat ashore. Basic common sense really. Judith

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                      Coming from the forum member with the biggest and most obnoxious one I find that ironic....stick that up your nose...or where the sun don't shine...I don't care which.

Regards
                      Garfield
                      Gentlemen

You are both better than this - JMO.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                        Cunard normally only fasten the "Restroom" doors when they have cases of NV aboard either on this cruise or the last one so it is a sign to be even more attentive to hygiene. .....Neil
                        Really?

Well there you are, I assumed it was because the couple of restrooms with propped doors were next to areas with a very high traffic count eg the theatre and MDR on QM2 and thus were propped for ease of access.

I would have thought if that was a noro inspired prop, most doors would be treated in the same way.

You live and learn!

Edit
                        Some HAL ships had the best door handles on their restrooms. They were huge so you could get your arm through and pull open the door with the crook of your elbow.
                        Last edited by Mrs M; 31st January 2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Plus 2

Also agree with Wilba.

I often think those who insist on cleaning there cabin or avoid touching certain parts of the ship, are more likely to finish up with a virus, because they have very little immune system.
                          Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 31st January 2017, 03:41 PM.
                          Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                            Gentlemen

You are both better than this - JMO.

Annie
                            Hi Annie

Sorry if this has upset you but enough is enough.

Regards
                            Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
                              When we arrive at our cabin the first thing we do is clean the following with All Purpose Cleansing Wipes:-

TV Remote
                              Door handles
                              Drawer handles
                              Telephone
                              Shower Room (All)

Some people may not agree with this but we repeat the process at least every 3 days. The main reason is the person who enters your cabin, apart from yourselves, is the cabin steward. He/She also enters other cabins for cleaning purposes. These other passengers may not be as cautious as you are and the stewards, unawares, could transfer viruses into your cabin. Better to be save than sorry. We have had the dreaded virus and would not wish this on anyone.
                              Hi LRR

I understand why you do this - once bitten, twice shy.

For myself, I scrub my hands a lot when on a cruise and that works for me.

Annie

Comment

Hi all. I contracted the virus on a Princess ship, after being very, very careful to wash hands, use the gel, etc. etc. When the nurse came to our stateroom to give me an injection to stop the vomiting she informed us that the virus is also airborne, therefore, it is difficult to avoid if another passenger has it and is mixing with the rest of us. Jen

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X