• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beating Norovirus......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beating Norovirus......

Avoiding Norovirus is a continuous battle that most if not all cruise lines wage . Most of the emphasis on avoiding catching the virus centres around toilet hygiene ,but how many people realise that the TV remote control is the most germ laden part of the cabin ? This is because it rarely gets cleaned/disinfected . Another source of germs, which many of us carry around with us constantly is your mobile phone. Apparently the average mobile phone contains about 10 times more germs than the average toilet seat.
    Well don't panic ,help is at hand.An enterprising Japanese company have designed a new mobile called a "Germaphone" which claims to be the world's first hand soap-washable handset. The RAFRE , as it is called , can be used with wet hands ,and programmed via an App to be used without touching it . The phone can withstand running water from a tap ,but does not enjoy a hot bath .It is available in three colours ,pink ,blue ,and white.
    Do you have any anti Norovirus tips .Personally I wash my hands thoroughly whenever I handle substantial amounts of money ,particularly notes.

We very rarely eat in the buffet, and if we do it tends to be after an excursion so something quick like a burger that's wrapped, ensuring it's not been touched by others.

Comment

When we arrive at our cabin the first thing we do is clean the following with All Purpose Cleansing Wipes:-

TV Remote
      Door handles
      Drawer handles
      Telephone
      Shower Room (All)

Some people may not agree with this but we repeat the process at least every 3 days. The main reason is the person who enters your cabin, apart from yourselves, is the cabin steward. He/She also enters other cabins for cleaning purposes. These other passengers may not be as cautious as you are and the stewards, unawares, could transfer viruses into your cabin. Better to be save than sorry. We have had the dreaded virus and would not wish this on anyone.

Comment

I have done in excess of 80 cruises and have never had any problems with noro-virus or anything akin to it.

Lucky? Maybe.

Clean? Yes.

Advice: Never hold the hand rails anywhere on the ship, open public loo doors with a tissue or cloth and wash hands after using same.

(Mobile Phones? ....On a ship?.....sorry guys can't afford that and I would never pass my mobile over for anyone else to use ..... Neil

Comment

It's probably good advice to disinfect the cabin, but we don't do it. The best advice is to wash your hands often and thoroughly. Just rinsing them under the tap is useless. Noro virus is not confined to cruise ships, I caught it visiting a terminally ill friend in hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
            I have done in excess of 80 cruises and have never had any problems with noro-virus or anything akin to it.

Lucky? Maybe.

Clean? Yes.

Advice: Never hold the hand rails anywhere on the ship, open public loo doors with a tissue or cloth and wash hands after using same.

(Mobile Phones? ....On a ship?.....sorry guys can't afford that and I would never pass my mobile over for anyone else to use ..... Neil
            With you Neil, apart from I have to hold hand rails on the stairs when descending, and Cunard often have main restroom doors propped open and also some have 'electronic squares' to elbow.
            Can't be bothered with this 'wiping down/disinfecting as much of the cabin as you can' lark. Washing hands thoroughly many times has worked for us over the last twenty five years of cruising and if I can avoid noro in school, when actually catching 'product' in my unprotected hands, through hand washing...I think I'll just stick to personal hygiene.

Comment

I Dettol everything in the cabin before getting anything out of bags or cases. I never touch hand rails or doors with my hands. Sorry it's my little obsession.
              i do not put my sea pass card in my mouth for any reason. Hands in mouth -never.
              Wash hands often.
              and use sanitiser after touching the tongs in the buffet before eating.

You can all laugh now

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
                I Dettol everything in the cabin before getting anything out of bags or cases. I never touch hand rails or doors with my hands. Sorry it's my little obsession.
                i do not put my sea pass card in my mouth for any reason. Hands in mouth -never.
                Wash hands often.
                and use sanitiser after touching the tongs in the buffet before eating.

You can all laugh now
                I love the Lido buffet on QE/QV but NEVER use provided serving tools.

Solution
                Utilise a spoon and fork provided in individually wrapped napkins and you don't have to touch anything already used by others.

I agree re cruise card. It's tempting to hold it in teeth occasionally, but not a good idea!

Comment

You can touch as many surfaces as you like just don't stick your fingers in your gob ..

Regards
                  Garfield

Comment

Like Neil, I try when I can to avoid holding onto the stair rails. If I have to - its gingerly one thumb one finger. I don't obsess about the cleanliness after all a little but of dirt does everyone good as it builds up the immune system.
                    But I use the hand was stations whenever I see them, I carry a travel bottle of anti-bac hand wash gel in my bag in the daytime.

I do think its a good idea to wipe the remote over but if you saw the state of the one we have at home its probably a death trap to others lol.

Loo door, yes I try to nip out when others are holding the door or put my back into in rather than hand.

The predicament of the pink ponk machine and the hand gel always a problem. You have card in hand, just gone through security but ready to put into the dink machine, shopping in the other, girl insist you get a squirt of gel so where does the card go. More often than not as others have said between my teeth whilst I get rid of the gel, that or occasionally between the bra strap.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post

Lucky? Maybe.

Clean? Yes.

Perhaps its the luck of the draw as they say Neil.

Comment

I actually think you should get some germs. People are way to clinical these days, with bleaches etc that kill everything. Then when they are subjected to a 'germ' they catch something!

If your going to clean remote controls, door handles, stair rails. Then you need to do light switches, air conditioning switch, backs of wooden chairs when you move them, sun loungers, trays that you pick up in the buffet. The list goes on and on......................Carol

Comment

In all of our cruises we too have been 'lucky'.

That being said, at no point on an MSC cruise have we seen any cabin doors sealed as reported on other lines, never has the buffet been on a basis where the staff don't allow you to touch the utensils and serve you instead (except the carvery for obvious reasons) and there have been no reports of 'high alert'

I think Andy may have suggested it before, but it does seem to be more prevalent on British lines?

Comment

Not been on as many cruises as some but we have been on a cruise following an outbreak of norovirus on the previous cruise, also stayed at a hotel which caterers for coach party's, following an outbreak the previous week, but have never personally caught the virus.

Dont matter how much you wipe or disinfect areas of the cabin, or avoid the touching of various parts of the ship, none are as affective as making sure your own personal hygiene is in order, such as the regular washing of hands and as Garfield posted avoid putting your fingers in your mouth.
                            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                              I actually think you should get some germs. People are way to clinical these days, with bleaches etc that kill everything. Then when they are subjected to a 'germ' they catch something!

If your going to clean remote controls, door handles, stair rails. Then you need to do light switches, air conditioning switch, backs of wooden chairs when you move them, sun loungers, trays that you pick up in the buffet. The list goes on and on......................Carol
                              Each to their own Carol but I prefer to have the least germs possible. There is nothing wrong with preventative measures when ever possible.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X