• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bugs on board... is it the fault of passengers or crew?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bugs on board... is it the fault of passengers or crew?

    Just putting this out there, but from much of the news and rwviews it seems as if the issue of 'bugs on board' such as noro or gastro seems to be confined to certain lines - Fred, P&O and Carnival.

    You see in reviews about the dreaded red tape around cabin doors, people confined to their room, the hacking cough spreading round.

    A new review of Carnival Vista talks about passengers man-handling the food in the buffet, going in straight from the pool and dripping water on the food etc.

    This has got me wondering, is this the fault of the line or the passengers that germs are spread? All kinds of nasties will live in pool water, but then again shouldn't the buffet staff be telling people not to go in in their pool clothes soaking wet and not to touch the food?

    touch wood we've never experienced any issues on MSC (but then again we don't use the buffet) and have never seen cabins cordoned off

    #2
    I mainly use the buffet when the MDR is closed. The only poor practices that I have seen are passengers walking in bypassing the sinks or the gel. The crew really shouldn't allow that.

    I like to go to the Q&A sessions. At one, someone queried why so much food was thrown away. It was explained that it is only left out for a certain amount of time. If not consumed, then it will be removed. There still needs to be a good choice for passengers right up until the buffet closes, so that is another waste. Old food shouldn't be a reason for bugs.

    Not everything is what it seems though. I was cleared by my GP to sail after a nasty respiratory infection. I was no longer infectious, but couldn't get rid of the cough that hung around. People kept giving me 'funny looks'. I cough a lot naturally.
    2018-
    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

    2019 -
    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

    2020 -
    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Magellan - Panama Canal

    Comment


      #3
      Most of the cruises I have been on have shown great practice on keeping the ship clean, So, alas, I tend to blame the passengers, The amount of times folk coming from the toilets and not washing hands is disgraceful. Jan.

      Comment


        #4
        Since noro virus seems endemic not just on cruise ships, but in hospitals and care homes, it is up to the individual to safeguard themselves as much as possible. The more slovenly will always be amongst us. We tend to avoid the buffets, choosing room service when in port and the MDR is closed. Years ago, on Ocean Majesty, afternoon tea was served by white gloved waiters. Seabourn have recently gone back to this and it works well. Perhaps afternoon tea is an ideal breeding ground for bugs due to the nature of the food served.

        Comment


          #5
          I wont say 100% down to the passengers but its very close, if you had been ill recently would you admit it on the pre boarding medical form?

          Perhaps more precautions are needed, at the height of the "bird flu crisis" when entering some countries they checked your body temeperature prior to imigration, would that help prevent or slow down the spread of these viruses?

          Comment


            #6
            Been on lots of cruises and have never ever seen people not wash their hands after using the toilet , if I did I would certainly challenge them, never had problems ourselves but have friends who have had and they said it was horrendous , Just try to look after ourselves on cruises.

            Comment


              #7
              I worked in a school with a nursery, which was always under attack from the winter sickness bug. It turned out there simply weren't enough staff to be constantly checking how well tiny hands were being washed after loo visits, and a new gel was produced and the children trained in using it after washing. The virus didn't seem to be as bad afterwards, but I think it was possibly more vigilant staff being at the washbasins.
              I remember visiting the loos on the lido deck, when there were lots of children swimming in the pools, It was a nightmare, without any parental supervision, and not a single child washed- or even flushed- just rushed to be back in the pools.
              I'm not blaming all children, but if you were raised to believe that you couldn't leave a toilet without washing, it would become 2nd nature.
              Jo.

              Comment


                #8
                We usually travel with Celebrity and I can safely say they make every effort to ensure passengers observe good hygiene with toilet attendants standing by the doors and staff at the entrance of every dining area. I have seen people who have refused to allow the staff to squirt them with the alcohol gel and those who will bypass the hand dispensers but overall Celebrity they do their utmost to target everyone even those going into the theatre and bars. There are people who lift bread, squeeze it, then put it back and I would definitely challenge anyone I saw doing this, but I have not seen people using the buffets in wet swimwear or bare feet. I have never had any kind of illness after cruising with them or RCI, the only thing I have suffered from is sniffling as a result of the air conditioning.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Just putting this out there, but from much of the news and rwviews it seems as if the issue of 'bugs on board' such as noro or gastro seems to be confined to certain lines - Fred, P&O and Carnival.

                  Noro hits ships a lot more often that people realise some just don't hit mainstream news others get contained quickly

                  Have a look at the CDC list for this year so far.

                  CDC - Vessel Sanitation Program - Cruise Ship Outbreak Updates

                  and that only the reported cases, a lot don't have to be because they don't trigger the limits or are not required to report to the CDC.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The the only time we had Noro on a ship we knew exactly how we got it. The friend we were cruising with had come on a different flight and she told us the person in the seat next to her was sick. The next day she was ill and the day after we were, in spite of washing our hands at every possible opportunity. Celebrity quarantined us for 24 hours after the last symptom, gave us free medical care and a future cruise credit for the two days we were quarantined. We didn't hear of any other cases, but there might have been some.

                    Some people will not accept quarantine and continue to go about the ship spreading the problem. We thought we were treated very fairly.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I have spent many decades in the classroom and have encountered scores of children's bugs. I have cuddled children who have been ill; I have caught vomit in my hands. I have been coughed at, sneezed over, watched lice having a field day on children's heads. I have held hands with children subsequently having been found to have scabies ...and the list goes on. I caught Chicken Pox from one little scamp, head lice [once, I thought the world had come to an end!] from another who was determined to climb on my lap and cuddle close and Slapped Cheek from another. Apart from my first two teaching years being continually full of a cold or cough, I have been pretty healthy.

                      One thing I have never caught is a tummy bug.

                      I admit my immune system must be sky high but even so, I think it must have something to do with the fact I am continually washing my hands.

                      We spend weeks on board QV at times and cannot avoid the fact some passengers are ill with tummy problems and/or 'the' cough. We tend to avoid places where we might be in a confined area and have yet to pick up anything [touches wood here]. Two of our table mates earlier this year, despite the small baggies of vitamins they brought to the table to have with their meals, caught a respiratory bug but kindly kept away until they considered themselves clear. We appreciated their thoughtfulness.

                      I'm not apportioning any blame passengers and/or ship because I don't know. I DO know we all have a duty to look after ourselves and that means being sensible with our personal hygiene and respecting others if we are unlucky enough to 'catch' anything.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by cruiser, Larne View Post
                        We usually travel with Celebrity and I can safely say they make every effort to ensure passengers observe good hygiene with toilet attendants standing by the doors and staff at the entrance of every dining area. I have seen people who have refused to allow the staff to squirt them with the alcohol gel and those who will bypass the hand dispensers but overall Celebrity they do their utmost to target everyone even those going into the theatre and bars. There are people who lift bread, squeeze it, then put it back and I would definitely challenge anyone I saw doing this, but I have not seen people using the buffets in wet swimwear or bare feet. I have never had any kind of illness after cruising with them or RCI, the only thing I have suffered from is sniffling as a result of the air conditioning.
                        I would agree with you regarding Celebrity ,they certainly have the best visible cleaning regime of any cruise line we have been on.

                        Having said that in May we had an horrendous outbreak of NV on Eclipse ,The Captain mentioned it every day in his midday chat that id you got it stay in your cabin ,they will send medical help and it was free .But there were suspicions among the crew that passengers were not reporting it ,we were all left questioners at the end of the cruise,On the departure they had taken the mattress off the bed airing it.
                        And you could still see people trying to dodge the gel,they even gelled us going into and out of the casino ...Taffy
                        ​Taffy

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
                          I worked in a school with a nursery, which was always under attack from the winter sickness bug. It turned out there simply weren't enough staff to be constantly checking how well tiny hands were being washed after loo visits, and a new gel was produced and the children trained in using it after washing. The virus didn't seem to be as bad afterwards, but I think it was possibly more vigilant staff being at the washbasins.
                          I remember visiting the loos on the lido deck, when there were lots of children swimming in the pools, It was a nightmare, without any parental supervision, and not a single child washed- or even flushed- just rushed to be back in the pools.
                          I'm not blaming all children, but if you were raised to believe that you couldn't leave a toilet without washing, it would become 2nd nature.
                          That was something I noticed when I used to go to the gym on the way home from work. Children were left to go to the toilet on their own, although they must have been accompanied by someone in the changing room. Many didn't flush the toilet, and sometimes I went into 3 or 4 cubicles before I found one that had been flushed. Many did not wash their hands, and some couldn't even reach the taps.
                          2018-
                          Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

                          2019 -
                          NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                          Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

                          2020 -
                          Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                          Magellan - Panama Canal

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                            I have spent many decades in the classroom and have encountered scores of children's bugs. I have cuddled children who have been ill; I have caught vomit in my hands. I have been coughed at, sneezed over, watched lice having a field day on children's heads. I have held hands with children subsequently having been found to have scabies ...and the list goes on. I caught Chicken Pox from one little scamp, head lice [once, I thought the world had come to an end!] from another who was determined to climb on my lap and cuddle close and Slapped Cheek from another. Apart from my first two teaching years being continually full of a cold or cough, I have been pretty healthy.

                            One thing I have never caught is a tummy bug.

                            I admit my immune system must be sky high but even so, I think it must have something to do with the fact I am continually washing my hands.

                            We spend weeks on board QV at times and cannot avoid the fact some passengers are ill with tummy problems and/or 'the' cough. We tend to avoid places where we might be in a confined area and have yet to pick up anything [touches wood here]. Two of our table mates earlier this year, despite the small baggies of vitamins they brought to the table to have with their meals, caught a respiratory bug but kindly kept away until they considered themselves clear. We appreciated their thoughtfulness.

                            I'm not apportioning any blame passengers and/or ship because I don't know. I DO know we all have a duty to look after ourselves and that means being sensible with our personal hygiene and respecting others if we are unlucky enough to 'catch' anything.
                            It just seems to be good or bad luck as to who get's it (NV) we shared a table with a couple he got it his wife who was confined in the same cabin stayed virus free? She ended up with the "ship's cough" on Arcadia he remained healthy.
                            I have had it on shore but never on a ship,my wife has never had it .
                            We both like you take extra precaution's when sailing just in case....Taffy
                            ​Taffy

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I agree Fred's ships get bad publicity about Norovirus. Some of the "more so elite" ships also suffer from it but don't seem to get the same bad press.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X