• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discusting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a very timely and disturbing topic. We were with friends over Christmas who also cruise and we all agreed that corners are being cut. That was very noticeable on a cruise we were on in November. For example, not once did we see cleaning of any kind taking place in any of the public areas. We didn't even see it when we stayed on board at one of the ports of call. The ship was not dirty by any means, but it seemed to us that fewer crew were working longer hours and perhaps it was being done at night. We also noticed that people who had taken breakfast in their rooms were not having their trays picked up from outside their rooms until well into the afternoon. Our cruise was on P&O. Our friends spoke of similar experiences on other cruise lines, one of them quite surprising. For family reasons we have not booked, nor even looked at, any cruises for '16 and whatever we do will probably be at short notice. We've cruised most years since 1999 and whilst enjoyable, it is not an obsession. Perhaps it's time to try something different.
    Logic will get you from A to B.
    Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

My pet hate..people who put trays outside the cabin. If you ring room service they will come and collect the tray..Carol

Comment

Our cleaner told us on the last cruise to leave trays, cup, plates etc outside the door, thought that was accepted procedure.

Comment

Thought we were talking about bed linen and pillows?
          Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
          My pet hate..people who put trays outside the cabin. If you ring room service they will come and collect the tray..Carol

Comment

Have to say I thought the linen & duvets were in need of replacement when on Azura in November this year. Did check that the mattress was ok. From previous responses it seems as though all cruise lines are cutting back in all departments, (even Cunard). It would appear that P & O need to replace their bedding

Comment

I'm surprised you sailed with P & O. Must have been a culture shock to mix with the other half.
              Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
              Well, there you go. Poor & Ordinary cutting corners again. Shame on them.
              When we were on P&O Arcadia world cruise 2013 not only the pillows were disgusting, but the mattress. I had to have housekeeping fumigate the cabin and the bed as we were getting bitten by something! Never had this on a cruise ever but it made me realise that the mattresses need changing quite frequently and the pillows.

Comment

Unless you are up very early you won't see the public area cleaned they start at around 3am, I have seen them, as for pillows I daresay if you checked pillows in any hotel or cruise line you might be surprised, how many of us think to do that, I always put my own pillow in the top of my case it goes cruising with me.CG
                sigpic

Comment

On every RCI ship I have been on, they always seem to have cleaners everywhere especially in the toilets and always the stairways cleaning the rails, on the NCL epic in November I commented to my wife how the ship looked grubby in places, hardly saw any staff cleaning the toilets or the stairways, especially the stairways! maybe they have cut down on staff, it certainly looked like it to me! Our balcony cabin was not cleaned very well either with finger marks always left on the glass mirrors on the wardrobe doors and even coffee bags left after we had made coffee, it was only done to a reasonable standard, something I have not experienced before, I never checked the pillows thankfully

Comment

There does seem to be a difference between cruise lines ,Celebrity,and RCI plenty of visible cleaning ,regular room inspections by Managers plenty of clean toilets regularly checked.
                    Cunard & P&O ,Cunard the ship was clean but I saw very little cleaning going on ,toilets were OK.
                    P&O little visible cleaning and public toilets not very good ,I did see a Management team inspecting the toilets on Oceana and they just stuck there head round the door ,and spent no more than 10 to 15 seconds inspecting .
                    The Captain announced that they had,had the hull cleaned and the could go faster.As one man remarked "try cleaning the windows then we can see how fast your going"....Taffy
                    ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Babs , Hodd. View Post
                      I'm surprised you sailed with P & O. Must have been a culture shock to mix with the other half.
                      Targeting other posters is not a very good idea....Taffy
                      ​Taffy

Comment

I can see loads of passengers now checking pillows and ships now having to re stock on clean pillows. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
                          I can see loads of passengers now checking pillows and ships now having to re stock on clean pillows. Thanks for posting.
                          I will not be one Duetto .
                          Unless it is obvious then I do not go looking for problems ?
                          I got asked once had I looked under the Table to check for Muck??,My answer was I am eating on the top not under the table ,why look for problems...Taffy
                          ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                            There does seem to be a difference between cruise lines ,Celebrity,and RCI plenty of visible cleaning ,regular room inspections by Managers plenty of clean toilets regularly checked.
                            Cunard & P&O ,Cunard the ship was clean but I saw very little cleaning going on ,toilets were OK.
                            P&O little visible cleaning and public toilets not very good ,I did see a Management team inspecting the toilets on Oceana and they just stuck there head round the door ,and spent no more than 10 to 15 seconds inspecting .
                            The Captain announced that they had,had the hull cleaned and the could go faster.As one man remarked "try cleaning the windows then we can see how fast your going"....Taffy
                            Taffy do you not think the 'American' ships might be just a little more cautious with their cleaning regimes due to the litigation culture of their American clientele.

When this thread first appeared my money was on a British cruiseline well before the big reveal.

That said, I had no particular British cruiseline in mind..............Wilba
                            Wilba

Comment

Dscussing this topic with a friend last night she told me about a trip on the Island Escape. She had to ask for new pillows on the first day because of the smell coming from them. She told me they stank to high heaven yet nobody had bothered to either notice or change them. The room attendant happily gave her new pillows, but she should never have had to draw this to someone's attention - surely if it was obvious to her it was so to other people!!

Comment

Had a wonderful pre-Christmas trip on QE....we slept very well and particularly loved the pillows. I removed the pillow slip to see if I could find the brand label of the pillow,there was no label but the pillow itself was pristine. Just what I expect of Cunard !! :-)

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X