• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antiseptic hand wash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinngg!

Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post
    Yes, issue them to everyone, but will they use them (properly)??

98.765% likely will -but there are still those that walk among us
    who will opt to fiddle the odd bit with their fingers
    (far easier and more convenient, U must admit).

I think this matter will eventually get sorted (give it another year or two?)
    by permanently having staff standing by, to handle the serving tongs!

Paying passengers won't ever again touch publicly-used tongs.

You'll point out to the serving staff what/how much of which dish you'd like
    -staff places it on your plate!

They do this already, when an outbreak occurs.
    So why wait for an outbreak?
    The solution seems clear, no?

On spartans ship it's the revenue that counts. Know it is only a possibillity on others;)
    sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
      Hi Christiaan, I think you could find the 'taste' is the result of the high alcohol content in the gel! I didn't realise it was so high until a recent visit to our local Hospital.

I checked in for an outpatients appointment & went to use the gel which is normally sat on the Counter, not there. I asked the Receptionist & she pointed to dispensers on the wall. It seems people were 'drinking' the gel for the alcohol content! Hence no more bottles on the counter Guess it makes it more difficult for people to drink it when the dispensers are three feet up the wall!

Hard to believe anyone would drink the stuff, but apparently alcoholics do! Imagine if it leaves a taste when it's only been on your hands, what it must taste like neat

Regards, Lizzie.
      that correct Lizzie about the hand gels having to be put into a sealed container because of their high alcohol content, but even then the desperate ones will be able to remove them. anything that is not tied down in a hospital is stolen ie toilet rolls, paper towels. when I used to work in the wards I caught one patient passing a quilt (they were new fangled then '73) through a window to her husband. I've heard of 'workmen' asking about a brand new carpet and telling the member of staff that it was the wrong size and they had the correct size in their van. so they picked up the new carpet and walked off with it!!! another time during visiting someone lifted a new portable TV and walked out of the ward with it
      Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 11th January 2010, 04:18 PM.
      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by the mumfords, Nr. rotherham View Post
        Thats a good idea for more revenue on the good ship 'Spartan' They could be bought in cheap, but think of the mark up! Have someone at the start of the buffet queue and NO-ONE gets in without purchasing them. Carol.
        Where we go others follow :D

Comment

Here's a though for the day: I was once in a cafe and was very impressed how the catering staff all wore gloves to serve the food.

...then I saw a male staff member come out of the gents with his gloves still on!
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Thinking about it:
            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

High Heels

Nothing new under the sun. Here's a pic of me (the one on the left) taken 45 years ago at a Holiday Camp. I tried high heels, but they crippled me - don't know how/why women wear them! I did paint my toe-nails though, but it's a mono photo so doesn't show.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                Here's a though for the day: I was once in a cafe and was very impressed how the catering staff all wore gloves to serve the food.

...then I saw a male staff member come out of the gents with his gloves still on!
                Malcolm- our friend is a cook in a boarding school. She finished chopping tomatoes, rolled off her gloves, and rolled on a new pair to chop eggs. She was given a black mark against her record, for not washing her hands before changing gloves. So some places are watching!!!
                Jo.
                Jo.

Comment

What a gay and festive occasion that was!

Originally posted by Man Friday, Pontardawe View Post
                  Here's a pic of me (the one on the left) taken 45 years ago at a Holiday Camp.
                  I tried high heels, but they crippled me -
                  don't know how/why women wear them! I did paint my toe-nails though,
                  but it's a mono photo so doesn't show. ===> Tsk..great shame!
                  Just lovely -all of you.
                  Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

Originally posted by Walker, Seascale View Post
                    Malcolm- our friend is a cook in a boarding school. She finished chopping tomatoes, rolled off her gloves, and rolled on a new pair to chop eggs. She was given a black mark against her record, for not washing her hands before changing gloves. So some places are watching!!!
                    Jo.
                    In the cafe the lady serving the breakfast wears gloves then she takes your money and gives you the change then serves the next customer

Comment

Originally posted by Man Friday, Pontardawe View Post
                      Nothing new under the sun. Here's a pic of me (the one on the left) taken 45 years ago at a Holiday Camp. I tried high heels, but they crippled me - don't know how/why women wear them! I did paint my toe-nails though, but it's a mono photo so doesn't show.
                      So you don't wear the heels now but still paint the toe nails :D

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                        Thinking about it:
                        Yes it is if I were the assessor! When we were on a cruise and stopped in Dubrovnik, we were having coffee in the square and there was a very shifty looking, scruffy man who kept glancing at us . I told my husband not leave the video camera by his chair in case it was stolen.

The next day I saw the same man on the Celebrity .... a fellow passenger !

Comment

The Norovirus usually only lasts 12-24 hours but you are infectious for a further 48 hours hence ships quarantine you for that period. Hospital staff are not allowed back to work for 48 hours after last symptoms. It's a very infectious bug.[/QUOTE]

A really bad episode of noro virus can leave the patient very fatigued. I work in a school and organise supply staff for absent colleagues. I try to persuade victims to stay away for at least 48 hours after symptoms have disappeared. So far this year we have only had about half a dozen cases out of over 300 staff. Handgels are available, but most people prefer to wash their hands with hot water and soap. Norovirus can be dangerous to the very young and elderly who should take extra care - but often don't. Happy cruising. Judith

Comment

What the professionals say...............

Yes, issue them to everyone, but will they use them (properly)??

98.765% likely will -but there are still those that walk among us
                            who will opt to fiddle the odd bit with their fingers
                            (far easier and more convenient, U must admit).

I think this matter will eventually get sorted (give it another year or two?)
                            by permanently having staff standing by, to handle the serving tongs!

Paying passengers won't ever again touch publicly-used tongs.

You'll point out to the serving staff what/how much of which dish you'd like
                            -staff places it on your plate!

They do this already, when an outbreak occurs.
                            So why wait for an outbreak?
                            The solution seems clear, no?

I couldn't agree more Aplmac. The professionals recommend that all buffet food is served by staff who must be wearing protective gloves as an added precaution to using tongs.(None of these precautions would however protect anyone from people sneezing and coughing in an area where there is uncovered food!) Surely the added cost would be more acceptable to FO in particular because the publicity they are receiving is bound to be harmful to their reputation and therefore their profits. Perhaps FO though are so assured of their loyal customers that they feel it would be an unecessary expense!

Comment

Originally posted by M, Alloa View Post
                              I couldn't agree more Aplmac.
                              The professionals recommend that all buffet food is served by staff who must be wearing protective gloves as an added precaution to using tongs.
                              (None of these precautions would however protect anyone from people sneezing and coughing in an area where there is uncovered food!) ===> Clear perspex 'sneeze-guards' as they call them..

Surely the added cost would be more acceptable to FO in particular
                              because the adverse publicity they are receiving
                              is bound to be harmful to their reputation, and therefore their profits.
                              Perhaps FO though, are so assured of their loyal customers
                              that they feel it would be an unnecessary expense!
                              Yes, the weak link -or certainly one of the weakest links- in the chain
                              would seem to be this business of publicly-handled serving tongs in the buffet!

My wife and I are now resolved to never eat in a buffet again(not on a ship)
                              -not as long as a dining room is open to us! ;)

But then, what do we do at a local Barbados hotel for Sunday Lunch?
                              It's the same buffet-style methodology of self serve!!
                              -although I do notice more and more, many hotels have staff standing by!

..You point ..they serve ..seems to be the sensible way to go!
                              Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

So? Don't use the tongs!

Ever heard of ordering from a Menu?
                                and having your meal brought to you on a plate?

This means... eating in the dining rooms,whenever possible.
                                It's so much nicer, so much cleaner.

Only for Lunch will you need to eat elsewhere
                                and I often get around the tongs thing by ordering two slices of Pizza
                                which are then handed to me on a plate.
                                Again... no tongs.

Moral of the hygiene story:
                                Stay well away from buffet tongs!

But, think of all those hands that must have touched that menu!

I've heard that money is among the most dirty things we're exposed to.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X