• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antiseptic hand wash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry, Hastings View Post
    We all worry about touching surfaces, making use of gel etc. whilst cruising (myself included) but how often do you see the use of gels at land based restaurants where you still have doors to open etc.
    you are quite right. we go to restaurants on shore we don't see hand gels and we don't catch any bugs.......or I hope so.
    the best way to kill any bugs is hand washing in hot soapy water. we have gels in my line of work but I must confess I very rairly use then I would rather wash my hands.......oh and the gels do taste yucky if you make the mistake of touching that bread roll before it dries in.
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post
      Malcolm and I have planned a get-together, out here in Barbados
      to do just that shot, for the amusement of you all. :D

He's wearing the drop-dead-gorgeous stiletto-heeled sandals
      I'm wearing whatever my wife will lend me(I hate to think)

Should be an interesting photo shoot!

you will make sure the sugar babes are in the background, won't you :D
      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post
        Malcolm and I have planned a get-together, out here in Barbados
        to do just that shot, for the amusement of you all. :D

He's wearing the drop-dead-gorgeous stiletto-heeled sandals
        I'm wearing whatever my wife will lend me(I hate to think)

Should be an interesting photo shoot!

So you are a lumberjack at weekends :D

Comment

Alcohol in the gel

Originally posted by Christiaan, Ocean Shores View Post
          On the last cruise I noticed a strange unpleasant taste in my mouth and thinking it was the awful coffee I stopped drinking it. The taste remained until the end of the cruise then disappeared.

Many months later at home I used an instant antiseptic hand wash and noticed exactly the same taste after eating.

Before it is pointed out that people use cutlery
          there were bread rolls which were served with the meals .

I am curious to know if anyone else has had the same experience.
          Hi Christiaan, I think you could find the 'taste' is the result of the high alcohol content in the gel! I didn't realise it was so high until a recent visit to our local Hospital.

I checked in for an outpatients appointment & went to use the gel which is normally sat on the Counter, not there. I asked the Receptionist & she pointed to dispensers on the wall. It seems people were 'drinking' the gel for the alcohol content! Hence no more bottles on the counter Guess it makes it more difficult for people to drink it when the dispensers are three feet up the wall!

Hard to believe anyone would drink the stuff, but apparently alcoholics do! Imagine if it leaves a taste when it's only been on your hands, what it must taste like neat

Regards, Lizzie.
          Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
            Hi Christiaan, I think you could find the 'taste' is the result of the high alcohol content in the gel! I didn't realise it was so high until a recent visit to our local Hospital.

I checked in for an outpatients appointment & went to use the gel which is normally sat on the Counter, not there. I asked the Receptionist & she pointed to dispensers on the wall. It seems people were 'drinking' the gel for the alcohol content! Hence no more bottles on the counter Guess it makes it more difficult for people to drink it when the dispensers are three feet up the wall!

Hard to believe anyone would drink the stuff, but apparently alcoholics do! Imagine if it leaves a taste when it's only been on your hands, what it must taste like neat

Regards, Lizzie.
            Nothing like it clean your hands then sniff saves a lot at the bar ;) :D

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
              Now that would be a photo for Aplmac to publish - he and Malcolm wearing stilettos!!!???
              Well if Christiaan shows me her killer heels I'll show her mine!;)
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                Well if Christiaan shows me her killer heels I'll show her mine!;)

Now that's an idea !:D

Before this happens however , a few tips for you both.

Legs must be hair free , how you achieve this is your choice.

Exfoliate and moisturise the skin then toenails should be painted a pretty colour.

Looking forward to seeing the photos ! Will post mine as soon as I find out how to do it .

Comment

There must be different brands of the hand wash out there. On our last cruise, I have to admit I mostly avoided using the ships own hand gel. It was just too soapy and didnt dry in. Before I get a barage of abuse ( I did carry my own travel bottle with me and a pack of alcohol hand wipes!)

Are we being too over careful. In some respects I do agree with the other post by Tenpin - a bit a dirt never did anyone any harm and I do wonder why we have so many kids nowadays suffering with Asthma and the like - are we just trying to be too clean and not able to build up any resistance and antibodies? Controversial I know!

Comment

I totally agree with you Mrs B.....I remember the meat in a meat safe on the kitchen windowsill for several days with the flies buzzing all around ....milkbottles (remember them) in a bowl of water with a wet tea towel over the top (no fridge) and we didn't ever get upset tummies !!!!

I also think the infection control people think that the best prevention of germs is to keep hand washing, after going to the bathroom and before eating, with soap and water for the length of time it takes to sing 'Happy Birthday'!! Having said that we do carry our tubes of gel for when we're out and about...

Comment

Just a thought,

we clean our hands when leaving the cabin, then again entering the buffet, but who cleans their hands before eating, after all everyone who never washed their hands have been using the tongs you touched. YUCK

I taking 120 pairs of latex gloves with me next cruise. Just call me Marigold from now on.
                      Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Originally posted by Christiaan, Ocean Shores View Post
                        Now that's an idea !:D

Before this happens however , a few tips for you both.

Legs must be hair free , how you achieve this is your choice.

Exfoliate and moisturise the skin then toenails should be painted a pretty colour.

Looking forward to seeing the photos ! Will post mine as soon as I find out how to do it .
                        I will volunteer to do the leg waxing! OUCH!
                        sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
                          Now that would be a photo for Aplmac to publish - he and Malcolm wearing stilettos!!!???
                          White gloves too? and perhaps pearls and a twinset! Hmmmmmmmm

Comment

Voila! No tongs! -it's Magic, I swear!

Originally posted by tenpin, Basingstoke View Post
                            we clean our hands when leaving the cabin, then again entering the buffet,
                            but who cleans their hands before eating?
                            after all everyone who never washed their hands
                            have been using the tongs
                            you touched. YUCK
                            So? Don't use the tongs!

Ever heard of ordering from a Menu?
                            and having your meal brought to you on a plate?

This means... eating in the dining rooms,whenever possible.
                            It's so much nicer, so much cleaner.

Only for Lunch will you need to eat elsewhere
                            and I often get around the tongs thing by ordering two slices of Pizza
                            which are then handed to me on a plate.
                            Again... no tongs.

Moral of the hygiene story:
                            Stay well away from buffet tongs!

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

How to ensure hygiene at on board buffets - but be careful......

I always use the antiseptic gel at the entrance to the dining rooms, but I also carry a small plastic bag containing baby wipes.

Then after getting my grub I wipe my hands and the cutlery with the baby wipes before eating.

I figure if the wipes clean and disinfect a baby's bum after a liberal helping of poo, they should be powerful enough to clean anything I may have picked up from dirty tongs.

Of course you could always take your own tongs in with you......................

I started carrying the baby wipes after our cruise with Royal Caribbean in 2008 (Explorer of the Seas) where there was no gel or anything provided at the entrance to any of the dining areas, and people were coming out of the toilets and going straight in to the self-service buffets.
                              I got by on that cruise with a wet & soapy facecloth to clean my hands.

But I do agree that the reason we are all falling victim to germs and infections is because we are becoming sanitised and losing our natural immunity to the dreaded lurgies.

We never had a fridge when I was a child, and there was no Sunday shopping. Meat bought Saturday for Sunday dinner was kept on a stone slab, even in the midst of a summer heatwave.
                              Butchers had no refrigerated displays, the only protection from the hot sun was the canopy over the shop window. No cool bags to carry the food home on the bus.

Cooked meat and raw meat sat side by side on the slab in the pantry.

Christmas Turkey still being made into stews casseroles, pie, rissoles etc. all week until New Year.

But we never ailed owt.

Have you noticed that kids from mucky houses never seem to get upset tummies or the trots?

My gran used to say "You have to eat a peck o' muck before you die" these days if you eat a speck o' muck you expect to die.....................

It's the same with smoking.

When I was a kid everybody smoked. There was a thick fug of cigarette smoke everywhere you went, but no-one noticed it because it was the norm.

And there was no such thing as childhood asthma.
                              Nor can anyone over 35 recall knowing of any child with asthma.

Now it is estimated that 1 in 3 children have asthma. It is blamed on passive smoking, but how can that be when so few people smoke these days? And this country is now practically smoke-free.

As smoking decreases the incidence of child asthma increases. Where are these kids going for their passive smoke fixes?

My two little grandsons aged 2 and 5 have never been anywhere near cigarette smoke, but both have asthma and use inhalers.

For 50 of my years I lived in a smoke filled world, but it is only since the smoking ban in 2007 that I too have developed asthma!

I now also get gastro-enteritis at the drop of a hat.

We should be very, very, careful of removing everything that could harm us, because we lose the protection given to us by years of evolution and natural selection, plus our acquired immunity, and we leave ourselves wide open to anything nasty that sneaks in behind our guard.

Because these nasties can mutate and develop new strains millions of times faster than we humans can evolve fresh immunity.

Comment

Well said Mother Goose, and all so true.

The association of ideas about the baby-wipes did make me chuckle.:D

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X