• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antiseptic hand wash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antiseptic hand wash

Many cruise lines offer antiseptic hand wash in restaurant and buffet areas.

On the last cruise I noticed a strange unpleasant taste in my mouth and thinking it was the awful coffee I stopped drinking it. The taste remained until the end of the cruise then disappeared.

Many months later at home I used an instant antiseptic hand wash and noticed exactly the same taste after eating.

Before it is pointed out that people use cutlery
    there were bread rolls which were served with the meals .

I am curious to know if anyone else has had the same experience.

Hand-gel? -maybe not..

Last year, I was fortunate to do a behind-the-scenes tour
    on an RCI Radiance Class vessel.

I left impressed by the level of effort and expense
    that he and his vessel go to, to keep the seas as clean as possible.

Their Environmental Officer who conducted the tour was a forthcoming chap
    and since we were a group of hoteliers(myself excepted)
    interested in how systems work
    we had the impression he wasn't holding back.

The stuff we learned,that day!

-and the places we went!

While discussing NoroVirus,etc.
    I pointedly asked about the squirty-gel thing we have so much faith in?
    but it didn't score very high, in his opinion.

I think there's no substitute for a proper washing of the hands -with soap

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post
      Last year, I was fortunate to do a behind-the-scenes tour
      on an RCI Radiance Class vessel.

While discussing NoroVirus,etc.
      I pointedly asked about the squirty-gel thing we have so much faith in?
      but it didn't score very high, in his opinion.

I think there's no substitute for a proper washing of the hands -with soap

I am in total agreement Aplmac, usually I had touched nothing more than a handrail since showering etc in the cabin. But then many hands touched that rail en route to the dining room.

I will experiment with the hand gel one more time just to satisfy my curiosity.

Wonderful photos, by the way.

PS On second thoughts I could wear white gloves until seated at the table ..........brings to mind poor Michael Jackson and his phobias.
      Last edited by Christiaan, Ocean Shores; 6th January 2010, 11:18 PM.

Comment

We all worry about touching surfaces, making use of gel etc. whilst cruising (myself included) but how often do you see the use of gels at land based restaurants where you still have doors to open etc.

Comment

Not using handrails on a moving ship is especially risky for the more mature cruiser! A broken pelvis is infinitely worse than the Norovirus for most.
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
            Not using handrails on a moving ship is especially risky for the more mature cruiser!
            A broken pelvis is infinitely worse than the Norovirus for most.
            Very true.

You and I are not there yet but there may be a day
            when we too cling on like the elderly, going on before us!

Comment

Originally posted by Christiaan, Ocean Shores View Post
              Many cruise lines offer antiseptic hand wash in restaurant and buffet areas.

On the last cruise I noticed a strange unpleasant taste in my mouth and thinking it was the awful coffee I stopped drinking it. The taste remained until the end of the cruise then disappeared.

Many months later at home I used an instant antiseptic hand wash and noticed exactly the same taste after eating.

Before it is pointed out that people use cutlery
              there were bread rolls which were served with the meals .

I am curious to know if anyone else has had the same experience.
              Some hand gels 'taste' more than others. You almost can't help but touch your lips at some point so you are bound to get the gel into your taste buds. Not very pleasant. But, it's the lesser of two evils.

However, and I've said this many times now on the forum - gel does not kill the Norovirus BUT hot soapy water does. The gel will help with other bugs.

Some hospitals, when they have an outbreak of the Norovirus on a ward, remove the hand gel to encourage hand washing.

The Norovirus usually only lasts 12-24 hours but you are infectious for a further 48 hours hence ships quarantine you for that period. Hospital staff are not allowed back to work for 48 hours after last symptoms. It's a very infectious bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post
                Very true.

You and I are not there yet but there may be a day
                when we too cling on like the elderly, going on before us!

Hmmm elderly ..........

I take it neither you nor Malcolm wear drop dead gorgeous stiletto heeled sandals ? Try walking up or down stairs while wearing them without touching , just touching , barely brushing one's fingertips along ,definitely NOT clinging , to the hand rails . :D
                Last edited by Christiaan, Ocean Shores; 7th January 2010, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Not using handrails on a moving ship is especially risky for the more mature cruiser! A broken pelvis is infinitely worse than the Norovirus for most.
                  Of course it is , well said . Back to the white gloves ........
                  Last edited by Christiaan, Ocean Shores; 7th January 2010, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Christiaan, Ocean Shores View Post
                    Hmmm elderly ..........

I take it neither you nor Malcolm wear drop dead gorgeous stiletto heeled sandals ? Try walking up or down stairs while wearing them without touching , just touching , barely brushing one's fingertips along ,definitely NOT clinging , to the hand rails . :D

Now that would be a photo for Aplmac to publish - he and Malcolm wearing stilettos!!!???

Comment

I am in my mature years, not quite elderly, and do still like a nice high heel for formal nights and so it is sometimes necessary to touch the handrails when going down stairs. I know it's paranoia but I keep a paper hankie in my hand then dispose of it. Same with toilet door handles after washing my hands. This is because of the small number of people that I notice do not wash their hands and leave the bathroom only pausing to check themselves in the mirror. My husband tells me that some men are noticably guilty of this (not the mirror bit) Aghhhhhhhhhh!

I totally agree that soap and water is best but as we sometimes can't avoid touching handrails etc the hand-gels should be obligatory at the restaurants and supervised more. Sorry about it tasting but I can't think of another way of minimising the danger to others.

It really worries me that some people just DONT use them. They are then using the serving spoons at the buffet which others have to use afterwards. When I asked one person why he didn't use the gel he said he didn't like the feeling. Another guy wouldn't wait until the empty container was replaced and brushed past the queue of folk waiting for it making some kind of remark that we were keeping him back. :mad:Aghhhhhhhhhh (perhaps this should be posted in that thread).

btw This is not only elderly people as has been mentioned in another thread. :p

Comment

Wobble wobble, poor Malcolm!

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
                        Now that would be a photo for Aplmac to publish
                        - he and Malcolm wearing stilettos!!??
                        Malcolm and I have planned a get-together, out here in Barbados
                        to do just that shot, for the amusement of you all. :D

He's wearing the drop-dead-gorgeous stiletto-heeled sandals
                        I'm wearing whatever my wife will lend me(I hate to think)

Should be an interesting photo shoot!

Comment

You could try this method which served me well during my years on a building site.

Rub hands in dirt, clean out bins, empty dustbag in hoover, trim hedge, then eat sandwiches.

Never had a cold or upset tummy for 30 years, then retired now forever washing hands and getting colds and flu.
                          Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Originally posted by tenpin, Basingstoke View Post
                            Rub hands in dirt, clean out bins,
                            empty dustbag in Hoover, trim hedge,
                            then eat sandwiches.

Never had a cold or upset tummy for 30 years, then retired
                            - now forever washing hands and getting colds and flu.
                            That's because you've gone and upset your natural equilibrium,haven't you!

Comment

Hi
                              Holding handrails is a must when going up/down stairs,just the same as not putting your hands in your pockets.
                              Regard gel dispensers,you dont even have to stop,you just pass your hand under when passing.
                              JC
                              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X