• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise industry defends its cleanliness record

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise industry defends its cleanliness record

The cruise industry is vigorously defending the standards of hygiene on ships following the release of research which said that less than half of bathrooms on cruise ships are cleaned daily.

A statement put out today by the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), which represents operators, responded to the study by the Boston University School of Medicine, reports USA Today.

It said that health and sanitation procedures on-board cruise ships go "above and beyond this study's focus on the disinfecting of public restrooms" and pointed out that the study did not examine or draw a direct causal relationship between hygiene standards on ships and norovirus outbreaks.

The statement also pointed to CLIA's vessel sanitation programme, which ensures that a minimum standard of cleanliness is met at regular, and sometimes unannounced, inspections.

USA reported its comments: "The cruising industry takes the sanitation of its vessels and the mitigation of all gastrointestinal illnesses, including norovirus, very seriously."

"We welcome any and all recommendations, including those derived from this new research, on how to further strengthen our policies to guarantee the well being of our passengers."

In July, a cruise aboard the Marco Polo had to be abandoned after more than half its passengers contracted norovirus, who subsequently received full refunds.

Are you convinced about the standards of cleaning and hygiene on-board cruise liners?

Well, compared to the loos in Gib, Monte, Livorno....YES!- Jo
    Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker, Seascale View Post
      Well, compared to the loos in Gib, Monte, Livorno....YES!- Jo

We could have the worst loos thread ! :p

Comment

We have cruised with P&O, Thomson, NCL and Fred Olsen and have always had bathrooms cleaned and towels changed daily, sometimes twice daily. Bed linen was changed often too. We have the utmost admiration for the cabin stewards/esses that looked after us on all the ships we have used.
        Any virus infection is usually caused by lazy passengers, not by crew laxity.
        No, we have no connection to any crew member!

Comment

No mess on OUR ships!

Not that I have any huge cruise experience..
          but we've(wife and I) have always found that our cabin stewards
          do pretty darned immaculate jobs, everywhere!

Would be nice to know which ships/lines
          are dragging down the statistics of the far-better ones!

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

I agree the the cabins AND Bathrooms are always kept spotless after all most are checked regularly the stewards wouild lose their jobs if they are not up to scratch, and yes its the passengers who cause the trouble, such as someone passing when you are serving yourself at the buffet and reaching in and taking chips with their hands where had they come from!!
            cornish girl
            sigpic

Comment

Toast

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
              I agree the the cabins AND Bathrooms are always kept spotless after all most are checked regularly the stewards wouild lose their jobs if they are not up to scratch, and yes its the passengers who cause the trouble, such as someone passing when you are serving yourself at the buffet and reaching in and taking chips with their hands where had they come from!!
              cornish girl

Comment

Regarding changing the towels twice a day. There is always a notice saying we should be green and save the planet by re-using towels, and I am happy to refold and then re-use my towel (I do it at home all the time) but always found they are changed not matter what I do. I have mentioned it to the cabin steward and they smile politely but carry on replacing them.. Carol

Comment

Un-real!

Originally posted by spartan, kent View Post
                  At breakfast a man pushed in front of the queue
                  then ignored the tongs, rummaged through the toast that was neatly laid out
                  to find a couple of slices that pleased his eye.:mad:
                  When I challenged him he grunted that..
                  -they're clean!
                  The too-scientific concept of microscopic germs on his hands
                  is 'beyond kis ken', poor chap.

There are too many people like this, people who have somehow
                  fallen thru the science-education cracks in the system!
                  It's like their intellects are still stuck, back in the Victorian era.

These are the ones who bring Noro-virus on board!

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

You've hit the nail on the head there Spartan. Examples of poor personal standards and hygeine are always on display, sometimes from those who you would obviously expect to know better, no matter what the line. One reason why I try to avoid the buffet areas like I do the plague.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X