• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Nasty' cruise ship bathrooms linked to vomiting virus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Nasty' cruise ship bathrooms linked to vomiting virus

Poorly cleaned and downright dirty toilet facilities on cruises could give passengers the vomiting bug norovirus, researchers from Boston University School of Medicine have warned.

The study examined 273 randomly selected bathrooms on 56 different ships operated by nine cruise lines and shockingly found that only 37 per cent of these were cleaned daily.

Nineteen surfaces were not cleaned at all during the five-to-seven-day monitoring period, including some toilet door handles.

The study found that 95 per cent of acute gastroenteritis problems on cruise liners are caused by norovirus. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a US federal agency, 66 ships experienced outbreaks of the virus between 2003 and 2008.

Although the names of the vessels which were examined have not been released, it is understood that 54 of the 56 originated in US ports.

The findings of the study, which is thought to be the first environmental hygiene project undertaken on cruise ships will be published in a medical journal next month. The report criticises "widespread poor compliance" on the part of cruise operators.

Would the researchers' findings make you think twice before using a cruise ship loo?

Very interesting, as we have just been deliberating Norovirus in another thread, and I for one would like to know the identities of the ships concerned,
    It is no use for the Boston Uni School of Medicine stating that they have tested 9 cruise lines and can expose them, and then refusing to do so.

Again it is worth pointing out that passengers also do have an obligation, as it is most important for all passengers in any enclosed space and especially on a ship to wash hands regularly with hot water and soap,including your cruise card, as although the boarding officer uses rubber gloves for personal protection he

Comment

There is certainly joint responsibility here as you say. All the systemic cleaning in the world will come to nought without adequate personal hygiene.
      It does not appear that Boston University School of Medicine, one of the several partners in this environmental study, has refused to name the cruise ships that were examined. I just read the full article on BUSM's website.
      It is merely pointing to this study that was published in the journal of Clinical Infectious Diseases on 1 November, that reported the group's findings of this first study undertaken on environmental disease on ships.
      The link is http://www.busm.bu.edu/busn-news/2009/11/02/poorly-cleaned-public-restrooms-on-cruise-ships-may-predict-norovirus-outbreaks/

Comment

Originally posted by Cruise News, cruise.co.uk View Post
        Would the researchers' findings
        make you think twice before using a cruise ship loo
        Do you have any choice but to use the ship's loos??

Are you going to 'go' over the side, out on your balcony?
        What if you're stuck with an interior cabin?
        :D
        Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post
          Do you have any choice but to use the ship's loos??

Are you going to 'go' over the side, out on your balcony?
          What if you're stuck with an interior cabin?
          If you can wait, you can always use the perfectly delightful facilities ashore in bars and cafes!! Some of these can make your eyes water - let alone spread viruses.

I have never experienced a dirty public toilet on cruise liners but having carefully washed your hands, you are then faced with opening the door and using the same door handle that has been used by the people that cant be bothered to wash. Where's the gel??

Comment

Gel.

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
            If you can wait, you can always use the perfectly delightful facilities ashore in bars and cafes!! Some of these can make your eyes water - let alone spread viruses.

I have never experienced a dirty public toilet on cruise liners but having carefully washed your hands, you are then faced with opening the door and using the same door handle that has been used by the people that cant be bothered to wash. Where's the gel??
            I buy the small hand gels you can get in M&S, (whoops advertising)! But having seen so many 'ladies' walk straight out without even 'nodding' at a wash basin, at least it's some form of protection.
            I also use them on land, because lack of cleanliness is not confined to ships! Regards, Lizzie.
            Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
              Some ships have a paper towel bin next to the door so you can use the towel over the handle when opening the door, it is then simply just a case of holding it open with your foot while disposing the hand towel in the adjacent bin.
              I am not sure how many ships have this set up.
              www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Wansbrough, Weston Super Mare View Post
                Some ships have a paper towel bin next to the door so you can use the towel over the handle when opening the door, it is then simply just a case of holding it open with your foot while disposing the hand towel in the adjacent bin.
                I am not sure how many ships have this set up.
                IIRC Thomsons do or at least they have a box of tissues available apart from the usual drying facilities. Design of access to toilets etc could benefit from some attention to minimise hand contact.

Comment

It,s amazing to think that in this day and age that people still do NOT wash their hands after going to the loo I also use the hand gel lizzie better to be safe than sorry

mrs.m
                  life is great :D

Comment

I assumed the article was about public loos on ship's, not your en suite. I don't think you can catch anything from yourself or your partner?
                    sigpic

Comment

Germs! Aaarghh!

So much borderline paranoia about this...

Only our toilets at home are absolutely perfect -

You should read (on cruisecritic.com)
                      what some American women do when they get to their cabins.
                      The poor things are so completely brainwashed by Lysol advertising..
                      Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

What about washing your hands before you go to the loo?

After all, you have just used the loo door handle and then you are going to touch your private parts :o :o

Paranoia, or what!!!! :D
                        Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. ;)

Comment

I'm just back from a wonderful fortnight on Azamara Journey, which had a huge tub of antiseptic wipes placed strategically by the door in all the 'public' ladies toilets on board. It was easy, therefore, to take one and use it to eipe the handle/open the door to leave the room. Similarly, I've never before been on a ship where you were so vigorously pursued to use gel before entering any dining area or re-boarding the ship. It was most impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post
                            So much borderline paranoia about this...

Only our toilets at home are absolutely perfect -

You should read (on cruisecritic.com)
                            what some American women do when they get to their cabins.
                            The poor things are so completely brainwashed by Lysol advertising..
                            Maybe the 'poor things' don't want to get Noro.

Comment

Originally posted by Castle, Sawbridgeworth View Post
                              What about washing your hands before you go to the loo?

After all, you have just used the loo door handle and then you are going to touch your private parts

Paranoia, or what!!!! :D
                              In my industry you need too, some jointing compounds as we now call them can lead to testicular cancer.
                              I would rather wash my hands before and after

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X