• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Is it Cheaper to fly to the USA & Cruise and than it is to sail from southampton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Why Is it Cheaper to fly to the USA & Cruise and than it is to sail from southampton

    Please can someone tell my why it is so much cheaper to book a cruise that sails from a port in the USA(Miami ect..) that includes flights and pre night in a hotel than to book a cruise that sails from Southampton with no flights or hotel.

    I have checked through the cruise lines and taken cruises from southampton many times on different cruise lines and yet when I use the same cruise lines in the USA it is cheaper.....same duration, same stateroom grade????????

    Ciao Rocky

    #2
    Originally posted by rocky, London View Post
    Please can someone tell my why it is so much cheaper to book a cruise that sails from a port in the USA(Miami ect..) that includes flights and pre night in a hotel than to book a cruise that sails from Southampton with no flights or hotel.

    I have checked through the cruise lines and taken cruises from southampton many times on different cruise lines and yet when I use the same cruise lines in the USA it is cheaper.....same duration, same stateroom grade????????

    Ciao Rocky
    I think we suspect what the answer to that is!

    Comment


      #3
      Because the British have paid through the nose for Southampton sailings since cruising began. The Americans don't/wont pay what we are prepared to pay, they have more choice, more ports to sail from, more lines operating the same routes, all vying for business.

      You can reduce that US package even further, quite significantly if your on the ball, by booking your own flights, hotels and transfers.

      Myself, I don't complain about it, I just no longer cruise ex UK.
      Wilba

      Comment


        #4
        Not hard to see

        Originally posted by rocky, London View Post
        Please can someone tell my why it is so much cheaper to book a cruise that sails from a port in the USA(Miami ect..) that includes flights and pre night in a hotel than to book a cruise that sails from Southampton with no flights or hotel.

        I have checked through the cruise lines and taken cruises from southampton many times on different cruise lines and yet when I use the same cruise lines in the USA it is cheaper.....same duration, same stateroom grade????????

        Ciao Rocky

        Comment


          #5
          It is certainly cheaper to fly cruise from the Med that it is to go ex UK.

          I think this has historically been through P and O and Fred Olsen, who have had a large proportion of the UK market for years, both having very loyal fan clubs. Also, there being a lot of folk in the UK who don't like to fly and prefer to cruise from a home port. Supply and demand says if there are a lot of people wanting to sail from UK and not so many ships/lines then prices will be comparatively higher.

          However this might be set to change now that there is so much choice and so many cruise lines/ships to be sailing from the UK in 2011.
          Cruising my way through life!

          Sue

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
            It is certainly cheaper to fly cruise from the Med that it is to go ex UK.

            I think this has historically been through P and O and Fred Olsen, who have had a large proportion of the UK market for years, both having very loyal fan clubs. Also, there being a lot of folk in the UK who don't like to fly and prefer to cruise from a home port. Supply and demand says if there are a lot of people wanting to sail from UK and not so many ships/lines then prices will be comparatively higher.

            However this might be set to change now that there is so much choice and so many cruise lines/ships to be sailing from the UK in 2011.
            All but two of our cruises have sailed from UK ports. A short drive to Dover or Southampton with as much luggage as we like; disembark and home well before lunchtime; no airport hassles - that's how we like it!

            Comment


              #7
              Cruising is like;

              Being in The Garden of Eating

              Comment


                #8
                If you go to Princess.com site and compare prices with Princess.co.uk site you will see how much more Brits are willing to pay!.

                Watch that you get the right site....the .com site will try to direct you back to the .co site, to hide the USA prices from you.

                Comment


                  #9
                  The difference you pay for the same cruise if you pay in Pounds or Euro is disgusting.
                  I always pay in dollars. Of course when I phone they always tell me I cant pay in dollars and I just say "do you want my money or not, because if you dont take the payment in dollars, it will just be going to a rival company."
                  They usually give in. You can save as much as 50% doing this.
                  Even if im booking a European cruise, or ex UK, I will pay in dollars.
                  Brits and Europeans are ripped off. Never pay in Pounds or Euro.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Dave, Whitstable View Post
                    All but two of our cruises have sailed from UK ports. A short drive to Dover or Southampton with as much luggage as we like; disembark and home well before lunchtime; no airport hassles - that's how we like it!
                    Totally agree, Southampton is soooo easy...
                    P&O Artemis/Oceana/Aurora/Azura/Britannia
                    RCI - Independence/Anthem/Ovation of the Seas
                    Celebrity Eclipse
                    Cunard QM2/QE/QV
                    Royal Princess/Caribbean Princess

                    Comment


                      #11
                      How an earth can you save money paying for a cruise in dollars rather than pound sterling or Euros ?

                      Unless of course you bought a few thousand when they were 2/1 and pay the conversion charge ?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Funky Face Painter, Pershore View Post
                        Totally agree, Southampton is soooo easy...
                        yes it is if you live south of the border or should that be south of the Watford Gap. we have an 8 hour drive and an overnight stay if we sail from Southampton, which again adds to the expense of the cruise.
                        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by jamesbilden, Dublin View Post
                          The difference you pay for the same cruise if you pay in Pounds or Euro is disgusting.
                          I always pay in dollars. Of course when I phone they always tell me I cant pay in dollars and I just say "do you want my money or not, because if you dont take the payment in dollars, it will just be going to a rival company."
                          They usually give in. You can save as much as 50% doing this.
                          Even if im booking a European cruise, or ex UK, I will pay in dollars.
                          Brits and Europeans are ripped off. Never pay in Pounds or Euro.
                          James, do you mean you buy from the .com site? I didn't think it was possible to do this?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I thik I know what this topic is aiming at....If you look at prices to travel from Southampton they look proportionately dearer than cruises from the USA although the Cruiise lines are the same ie Celebration, Princess The cruising experience is cheap for the Americans if they do not have far to travel

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Ah depends on the cruise but yes I have also found USA cruises much cheaper than UK specially if one does cruise only . I think however that some UK agents offering similar priced USA deals now .

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X