• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fracas at Sea.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
    In my daughters case we were asked by the head of security how far we wanted to take the matter. Did we want him thrown off the ship or police involvement at the next port. We said neither and we would let the incident drop.

We were later told that the Capt. threw him (and his wife) off at the next port as the Capt. deemed the incident too serious to be let go.
    I'm really surprised they asked the victim about the degree of punishment appropriate to the perpetrator, particularly if the Captain was planning to ignore it anyway.

I think you'd be a very rare parent that didn't make an emotional rather than a rational decision, but maybe that forced the captain's hand a little? Maybe he was hoping you'd demand expulsion to give him some cover? Whatever, probably the best result all round.

Hope your daughter got past it as best she can.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
      In my daughters case we were asked by the head of security how far we wanted to take the matter. Did we want him thrown off the ship or police involvement at the next port. We said neither and we would let the incident drop.

We were later told that the Capt. threw him (and his wife) off at the next port as the Capt. deemed the incident too serious to be let go.
      Well done that Captain.

Imagine the earache the man got all the way home...taffy
      ​Taffy

Comment

Only witnessed one indecent and that was on Grandeur of the Seas ,some American youths decided to have food fight in the buffet.
        Security was sent for and the biggest black man I have ever seen bawled at these louts,
        " Clean it up ,and clean it up now or you and your parents are off the ship tomorrow" they cleaned every bit of mess up without a murmurer....Taffy
        ​Taffy

Comment

The question is,what criteria does the crew (Master) use to either......throw them off the ship,or hand them over to police?

Or maybe cruiselines don't want the hassle or publicity,,,,and just wash their hands of any responsibility and throw them off.
          Is there a law that covers this?
          Hi all
          The above was in my OP.
          Going by most of members anecdotes,,,perpetrators of crimes are rarely handed over to law enforcers,,,but mostly just thrown off ship.

I would imagine thefts of bags,from cabins,shoplifting,fighting,assaults etc are going unreported.
          Does that give the wrong impression to passengers that cruise ships are crime free,,,?

JC
          C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
            Hi all
            The above was in my OP.
            Going by most of members anecdotes,,,perpetrators of crimes are rarely handed over to law enforcers,,,but mostly just thrown off ship.

I would imagine thefts of bags,from cabins,shoplifting,fighting,assaults etc are going unreported.
            Does that give the wrong impression to passengers that cruise ships are crime free,,,?

JC
            Hi JC

I think HAL wished they could have covered this up:

HAL Jumps the Gun (Again), Calls Deaths a "Murder-Suicide" : Cruise Law News

On my last cruise, the CD made an announcement that a passenger had mislaid a roll of dollar bills and could they please come and identify themselves.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Max, Warwickshire View Post
              I'm really surprised they asked the victim about the degree of punishment appropriate to the perpetrator, particularly if the Captain was planning to ignore it anyway.

I think you'd be a very rare parent that didn't make an emotional rather than a rational decision, but maybe that forced the captain's hand a little? Maybe he was hoping you'd demand expulsion to give him some cover? Whatever, probably the best result all round.

Hope your daughter got past it as best she can.
              My OH wanted him hung drawn and quartered, and was prepared to volunteer to do it! The security chief asked the question; not wanting to have their expulsion on my conscience I thought it best to draw a line under it. I guess that when the CCTV footage was reviewed the incident / evidence was enough for the captain to come to his decision.

The guy refused to get out of the pool despite staff ordering him out and just carried on with his lengths, which really annoyed the security guards, so much so that he instructed the bar manager to turn up the wave machine to full power which threw him to the side of the pool and they physically "lifted" him out. His attitude towards security probably made the captains decision much easier.

Four years later my daughter refuses to go back on Ventura and will not swim without constant adult supervision, so the incident left its mark. But she'll eventually get past it hopefully, thanks for asking.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X