• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fracas at Sea.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fracas at Sea.

Hi all.
    Maybe Fracas is the wrong word,,,,,assault maybe.
    Reading a review of P&O Britannia maiden voyage.it seems there was a 'fracas' in the pub one night.
    It resulted in the perpetrators being turfed off the ship in Barcelona (i only read this on one review so maybe its not true).

The question is,what criteria does the crew (Master) use to either......throw them off the ship,or hand them over to police?
    Is it Common Assault,,,,ABH or GBH maybe?

Or maybe cruiselines don't want the hassle or publicity,,,,and just wash their hands of any responsibility and throw them off.
    Is there a law that covers this?

JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

I was told by the head of security when my 8 year old daughter was assaulted in the pool by an adult passenger (so it could be wrong, so don't quote me, and without checking ... )

If the ship is in international waters when the offence occurs then it's the law of the country that the ships registered to "the flag of convenience" that is used.

In any event the Capt. decision is final and the perpetrators either disembarked or handed over to the police at the next port, depending on whether the captain wants to press charges.

Comment

Hi Rosebaskets.
      Thats what i thought,
      When i read your post i remember, i think, was it a murder on board a ship,and before Italian police could board,the ship weighed anchor a beat a hasty retreat out to sea?
      The Italians may have kept her in port whilst making inquiries,questioning suspects etc.
      JC
      C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
      "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Never seen a fight (Fracas) but the odd worse for wear drinker ,They were politely told they needed to go to bed?

We did have someone a few years ago saying it was him and his family that had been put off an RCI Ship .
        He had been in front of Captain who was holding an inquiry as to there behavior,they were put of the ship at the next port .
        There are reports of passengers being put of ships this usually involved fighting or extremely bad behavior,and i would think involved the passengers getting a warning first....Taffy
        ​Taffy

Comment

Never seen anything like that thankfully,But,Yes a few worse for ware passengers,I find it more worrying when the guests are very rude and ignorant when they are sober though! Jan.

Comment

A group of about 10 started brawling during karaoke on the Carnival Legend while I was on board in 2013 on the way back from SPB. Glasses were thrown, a female member of the bar staff and the entertainments host were both hurt (minor injuries thank goodness) The Captain put them off in Helsinki. I understand they were all from the same family!

Comment

I don't know the circumstances, but on one cruise on the second day a security guard was posted outside the door of a cabin two down from us. He was there until the next port, then our cabin steward told us that the passengers had been disembarked. I never heard what the offence was, but it must have been quite serious although there was no chat about it a around the ship.

Comment

I don't know whether I have been lucky all these years, or it's the ships I prefer to cruise on or just the time of the year, but I have only ever witnessed one incident that eventually turned into nothing.

On a RCI Med cruise, early May, sunny day but a chill wind in the ships slipstream a crowd of 20/30 year olds were congregated around the pool bar. Some decided on a sunlounger and pulled them into the centre of the deck to avoid the chill slipstream.

At midday the sound crew guys arrived to set up the lunchtime band equipment and the team leader announced politely, " Thank you, can I ask you all to move to the side as we need to set up the equipment".

One lone voice, eyes closed on the sunlounger announced, "I'm not moving".

The sound man assumed he was just joking so asked him again to move. "I've told you I am not moving"

I don't know whether these guys have a panic button on their radios, or whether the barman made the call, but within seconds a big black security guard the size of Mike Tyson appeared, leant over this guy who still had his eyes closed and said, "Sir, I'm going ask you to one thing and I won't be asking again. Take yourself and the chair to one side".

The guy opened his eyes, saw the size of the guard and sheepishly rolled off the side of the chair and dragged it to the side.

The guy was taken aside and it was wonderful to watch him squirm as the guard gave him a dressing down with the threat of ejection at the next port........Result.........Wilba
                Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                  Hi all.
                  Maybe Fracas is the wrong word,,,,,assault maybe.
                  Reading a review of P&O Britannia maiden voyage.it seems there was a 'fracas' in the pub one night.
                  It resulted in the perpetrators being turfed off the ship in Barcelona (i only read this on one review so maybe its not true).

The question is,what criteria does the crew (Master) use to either......throw them off the ship,or hand them over to police?
                  Is it Common Assault,,,,ABH or GBH maybe?

Or maybe cruiselines don't want the hassle or publicity,,,,and just wash their hands of any responsibility and throw them off.
                  Is there a law that covers this?

JC
                  Hi JC, We sat with a lady one evening, who knew everything that was going on and she told us that a lady had been thrown of the ship. She had stood in front of some-one in the Live Lounge and when they asked her to move she got very abusive.
                  Some-one else was thrown off because they had stolen some items from the shops and then attempted to take them back to get the cash for them. Not quite sure how they thought that was going to work!!
                  Also some-one that had been shoplifting in Cittevechia was followed back to the ship by the police, arrested and taken away.

It was certainly all going on and there was me quite oblivious! .................................................. ......................................Carol

Comment

we had this on RCL passengers watching a important football match on a tv in on of the bars ended up fighting and RCL off loaded them at the next port. we were not present but it was talk of the ship next day.

would the ins pay for the trip home

Comment

Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
                      would the ins pay for the trip home
                      Would be flabbergasted if it did!

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
                        Would be flabbergasted if it did!
                        Me too Rosebaskets. Insurance firms will fight legitimate claims so I think they had to paddle their own canoe.
                        Ta ra,
                        Alan

Comment

I saw a comedian turned off the Eclipse for a criminal act, and believe me, his really was a criminal act.

Comment

I've often picked up a rumour of a fight taking place and someone being turned off the ship, and the rumour has even started with teens setting fire to decorations and has ended up being the infamous Christmas tree lighting on Ventura in her first year.
                            However, we did meet people who claimed to have witnessed a fight in a bar - a young lad, travelling with parents. After listening with half an ear, my husband broke in to say he's just watched a young lad going down the gangway with his luggage, and seemingly accompanied by security.
                            The earlier mention of someone being interviewed by the captain and his whole family- I think it was 4 children- having to leave the RCI ship was a review of Indy on this site, 3 or 4 years ago. He was indignant about being left in Vigo, when they could have stayed on board till Southampton.
                            Jo.

Comment

In my daughters case we were asked by the head of security how far we wanted to take the matter. Did we want him thrown off the ship or police involvement at the next port. We said neither and we would let the incident drop.

We were later told that the Capt. threw him (and his wife) off at the next port as the Capt. deemed the incident too serious to be let go.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X