• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you start to panic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

What I don't understand is how it says on a lift that it takes 18 people, when clearly it couldn't. On the cruise ships, the lift says how many people it takes, but unless every person was about 4 stones maximum, the number is well overstated. On a cruise ship the vast majority are carrying a few extra pounds so the lift can take even less. Also, unless you want to get very close up to people you don't know, which invades your personal space, it is best to avoid the lifts. I very rarely take the lifts on a ship, preferring to run up and down the stairs for exercise. However, when I am dressed up with sky high heels on formal nights, this is when the lift is the safer option than the stairs.
    I thought the lift guideline states a number of pax and a weight limit?? There can be several young children in the lift. It is the weight limit I use.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

I thought the lift guideline states a number of pax and a weight limit?? There can be several young children in the lift. It is the weight limit I use.

Annie
      If you use the weight limit in a lift on a cruise ship, that will be about 2 passengers maximum per lift then and 1 passenger per lift by the time they disembark.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

If you use the weight limit in a lift on a cruise ship, that will be about 2 passengers maximum per lift then and 1 passenger per lift by the time they disembark.
        Don't worry an alarm sounds when the limit is breached.

Some of us actually lose weight on a cruise

Annie

Comment

We entered a lift that had one couple in it, exchanged pleasantries then we stopped and another couple of people got in. The first woman began to loose the plot and said it was too crowded. She became more and more agitated and as we stopped at the next floor announced we had all ruined it for her and she needed to get out!

We all looked at each other in amazement and wondered why she had ever gotten into the lift in the first place when she obviously had a problem..Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
            We entered a lift that had one couple in it, exchanged pleasantries then we stopped and another couple of people got in. The first woman began to loose the plot and said it was too crowded. She became more and more agitated and as we stopped at the next floor announced we had all ruined it for her and she needed to get out!

We all looked at each other in amazement and wondered why she had ever gotten into the lift in the first place when she obviously had a problem..Carol
            I come across that,a lot. Like Annie said, the alarm goes if the lift is unhappy and it won't budge.I don't know about the max number of persons but I would deem anything over ten persons, depending on build, obviously, makes the average ship lift packed.

Like you, I wonder if these people have a touch of claustrophobia?

Comment

Lifts give me the giggles, especially if you get in one that's quite full and no one is speaking. My OH will always break the silence, and greets everyone.

I like the glass ones that you can look out of, Arcadia has a couple that look out to sea, must admit I have missed my floor a couple of times though!! ............................................Carol

Comment

Do you follow lift etiquette? When you get in the lift you face towards the doors or stand at the sides. My OH has a habit of following me in, stands facing me way to close, and it feels really uncomfortable ...Carol

Comment

Having once been stuck in a lift between floors in The Dolmen Hotel in Malta I can reassure you I avoid lifts at all costs.!

However I feel safe in the glass ones that lots of ships have as I think if anything happens I can be seen, (Screaming my head of and frantically waving to all who bother to look up!)

My knees are shot so taking the stairs is a marathon for me but as long as its not TOO many I can cope. Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                    Do you follow lift etiquette? When you get in the lift you face towards the doors or stand at the sides. My OH has a habit of following me in, stands facing me way to close, and it feels really uncomfortable ...Carol
                    Awww that's so cute .................................................. ................Carol

Comment

It takes a heck of a lot of effort to get into a lift if you suffer from claustrophobia. I managed it on a cruise last year - first time in a lift this century! So I can well understand if someone behaves a bit oddly. I just about managed one floor at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

How are the new people getting on supposed to know the floor has not been pressed?

I tend to do the "SHOUT THEM OUT" if near the buttons, but that does not help the deaf people if I am not looking in their direction.

if not near the buttons it a "PRESS X PLEASE"
                        The people getting in the lift with him should have asked him which floor. People seem to think that people in a wheelchair are invisible so do not acknowledge them. Roberts speech is not very good as he had a couple of right sided CVA’s (strokes), but can still be understood if someone listens. he also has double vision but he has the most wicked sense of humour.
                        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
                          It takes a heck of a lot of effort to get into a lift if you suffer from claustrophobia. I managed it on a cruise last year - first time in a lift this century! So I can well understand if someone behaves a bit oddly. I just about managed one floor at a time.
                          Congratulations in getting into the lift. You must have felt so proud of yourself.
                          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

Congratulations in getting into the lift. You must have felt so proud of yourself.
                            More relieved than proud really!

Comment

Lifts don't bother me at all.
                              Generally my policy on ships is to call one and if it takes ages or the first one arrives is full,I walk.
                              Consequently I walk quite a bit!
                              It justifies my over indulging (well in my mind anyway)

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X