• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I just been unlucky

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have I just been unlucky

Went on the Queen Elizabeth in July on a Round Britain Cruise , on the way home I started to feel really awful with a sore throat , turned out as my doctor said to be full blown flu. ill for 3 weeks , Came home on the 29th December from a cruise on the Queen Victoria , on the way home started again to feel ill , turned out his time to have the Winter Vomiting Bug, then got a cold and have ended up with a really nasty cough,
    Been on many cruises and have never so much even had a headache ,
    Think I have been unlucky , has this happened to you ?

Originally posted by mauden, billingham View Post
    Went on the Queen Elizabeth in July on a Round Britain Cruise , on the way home I started to feel really awful with a sore throat , turned out as my doctor said to be full blown flu. ill for 3 weeks , Came home on the 29th December from a cruise on the Queen Victoria , on the way home started again to feel ill , turned out his time to have the Winter Vomiting Bug, then got a cold and have ended up with a really nasty cough,
    Been on many cruises and have never so much even had a headache ,
    Think I have been unlucky , has this happened to you ?
    Sorry to hear this. Nothing worse than feeling ill when you're on holiday.
    There were some dreadful coughs when we were on part of QV's World Cruise two years ago. Some friends of ours who were on one of the segments we were on were quite poorly with the virus.
    Luckily, we didn't catch anything. Were we lucky or they, unlucky, I don't know.

Comment

Oh bless you, what a horrible end to your holidays. I know there is an awful flu bug going around at the moment with people being laid up all over Xmas.

Bugs do seem to spread easily on ships, touch wood, so far I have been alright, but my other half tends to sneeze a lot when ever we are on board any ship, we just put that down to the air conditioning.

Think you will have to go away again (for research purposes) just to make sure you are alright next time ...........................Carol

Comment

I was on a Christmas cruise last year and developed a cough and sore throat, was ill for amonth after.

This year I returned from a cruise on December the 23rd and thought here we go again and I am still recovering from a cheat infection yet again.

So, I was thinking the same as you and concluded I was just unlucky and my resistance must be low.

Also, so much of it about I would probably have caught it at home anyway.

Comment

Seems quite common. I developed a cough on our Christmas cruise last year, but shook it off quite quickly. I've had coughs on previous cruises, I think the aircon gets to me. I try to spend as much time as possible on deck.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
            Seems quite common. I developed a cough on our Christmas cruise last year, but shook it off quite quickly. I've had coughs on previous cruises, I think the aircon gets to me. I try to spend as much time as possible on deck.
            And you sail on smaller vessels Judith.

I cruised on the NCL Epic 2 years ago and I think approx 25% ship were coughing at one point. Common sense suggests some of the passengers must have boarded with the symptoms. Add 4000 passengers, some of whom may not practise good hygiene and the rest is history.

BTW on that cruise, the gel dispensers were invisible on entry to the MDR. I did comment at the time.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
              And you sail on smaller vessels Judith.

I cruised on the NCL Epic 2 years ago and I think approx 25% ship were coughing at one point. Common sense suggests some of the passengers must have boarded with the symptoms. Add 4000 passengers, some of whom may not practise good hygiene and the rest is history.

BTW on that cruise, the gel dispensers were invisible on entry to the MDR. I did comment at the time.

Annie
              Yes, small ship's Aircon is every bit as drying as bigger ones. I keep a bottle of water by the bed, but still seem to get a dry throat. Perhaps more champagne would help?

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                Oh bless you, what a horrible end to your holidays. I know there is an awful flu bug going around at the moment with people being laid up all over Xmas.

Bugs do seem to spread easily on ships, touch wood, so far I have been alright, but my other half tends to sneeze a lot when ever we are on board any ship, we just put that down to the air conditioning.

Think you will have to go away again (for research purposes) just to make sure you are alright next time ...........................Carol
                That could be the problem......all those passengers touching wood

Comment

Originally posted by mauden, billingham View Post
                  Think I have been unlucky...
                  Yes you have been very unlucky. Being in a confined space like a ship, train, plane or airport etc. must be a prime location to catch some sort of bug. The only solution is to never leave your home!

(...and have a flu jab each year, if you do not already.)
                  See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

First two cruisers suffered with a cough ,now I turn aircon off, leave balcony doors open both night and day, even just a little bit and I have been so much better

Comment

We got onto QV on the 29th as you must have got off. Luckily no problem with anything health wise when on the ship or since so looks as though you were just unlucky.

Hope you are feeling better...Carol

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
                        That could be the problem......all those passengers touching wood
                        Ha Ha, yes I see what you mean .................................................C arol

Comment

Started to feel unwell on 31st December. Went out for a meal in the evening then came straight home, about 9p.m. I have hardly left the house since and still have a niggly cough. We were not on any cruise ship, so it can happen anywhere. My wife has always been very adamant that we couldn't go away over Christmas period, then ....... to my astonishment she announced to the family that this was the last family Christmas and New Year together as we would be away somewhere next year !!! Could it be a cruise ? Anywhere warm would suit me.

Comment

With several thousand people from all over, statistically, a number of them will have a cold/flu at any time of the year. Mix everyone together and it is not surprising the infections spread. The older rather than younger age profile of those cruising outside school holidays does not help.

Comment

We both got colds prior to our cruise this Christmas, I suffered "Dry Eye" down to the Aircon I think, and my wife continue to cough the entire cruise,
                              We were delayed due to the ship having a deep clean, but this did not stop the spread of both Flu and NV ,we had restrictions for the entire cruise, some crew suspected that passengers were not reporting the NV as they were cabin bound for 48 hours.
                              Most people avoided getting anything ,but a large amount of our fellow coach traveler where coughing and wheezing al the way home...Taffy
                              ​Taffy

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X