• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I'm bored, I've nothing to do" quote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
    My wife is a teacher and unlike most of her younger colleagues she does not have her mobile phone turned on in the class room. She feels that it sets a very bad example and as you say she is paid to teach.

There was an emergency and I needed to contact my wife. I phoned the school office and asked the secretary to get a message to my wife to phone me urgently with her mobile. The secretary was not impressed and said "why doesn't she keep it turned on like everybody else does?"
    The only time I ever had my phone on in class, was when my father was terminally ill in hospital and even then, I made sure I asked permission from the Head.
    I don't know any teacher who has his/her phone on any other than silent during class.

Comment

Originally posted by gardeners, bracknell View Post
      Hello Southwinds,
      Mobile phones are like hammers, useful when you need to use one. Anyone in business without an office finds mobile phones useful, just like a joiner and his hammer. Unfortunately a lot of insecure people use them beyond need to boost ego or something else. How sad.
      Ta ra,
      Alan
      Honest Alan, I am not insecure or need an ego boost, just worry about my children and once I know they are all ok I'm happy I even like to know our dog is happy!

Comment

Some people tut-tut when the vicar asks, before a wedding or funeral, if people will kindly turn off their phones...
        Just see how many reach to do that- and still a solemn moment is broken by Bugs Bunny or ABBA.....
        Jo.
        Jo.

Comment

Jo, that is disgraceful!

I get really annoyed to hear one going off in a concert or at the theatre, but at weddings or funerals, just makes me wonder where we are heading! That is so disrespectful.
          Lizzie sigpic

Comment

My hubby, children and I always turn ours off for any church service, so disrespectful not to.

Comment

You can now download a ring tone which sounds like a "cough", that way people do not realise that you phone is ringing during a show etc.
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                You can now download a ring tone which sounds like a "cough", that way people do not realise that you phone is ringing during a show etc.

Oh dear...............................why can't they just turn the d----d things off!

I despair, even at my weekly art class/ critique, two hours of tranquility I hoped! Someones phone goes off. Usually a plea for the Grandparent to pick up the 'child' because they are 'busy'!

Yes, I am a Grumpy old woman!!
                Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Oh dear am I the only one who has mine on??

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
                    I was in a Department Store in Bournemouth & had to wait to pay until the Assistant had finished her 'texting', she was oblivious that I was even there!

I would have left it, but as it was the only worthwhile item to buy after a day's shopping, I put up with it!!
                    I did Mystery Shopping for a while. One assignment was in a Tesco Extra store, and I had to buy a cup of coffee. The assistant was on her mobile for the entire transaction; that went into my report!
                    2018-
                    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                    Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

"My wife is a teacher and unlike most of her younger colleagues she does not have her mobile phone turned on in the class room. She feels that it sets a very bad example and as you say she is paid to teach ....."

Though retired, my OH does some supply teaching to top up his pension, and would agree with you implicitly; to do otherwise would be utterly unprofessional. As for me, I have to carry a mobile to run my company, so I can't express how great it is to leave the blasted thing behind when we're away :-) It's pathetic, though, to hear teenagers insisting they MUST have the latest, most powerful model, when all some do is text rubbish - also to see groups of them sitting mute, staring at their little screens as if in homage; sad or what??

Cheers,
                      Lynn

Comment

Hi Lynn,

I witnessed that yesterday, four youngsters sat on the pavement sending texts! If anyone had been careless with driving, their feet would have been run over.

What is it with sitting on the ground and using a mobile device?
                        Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                          The only time I ever had my phone on in class, was when my father was terminally ill in hospital and even then, I made sure I asked permission from the Head.
                          I don't know any teacher who has his/her phone on any other than silent during class.
                          Have you noticed in Hospital there are signs all over the place saying"please switch off all mobile phones"But doctors just wander about using theirs.Once when I was having my morning inspection by the consultant his phone rang and he chatted on for a couple of mins about some meeting later that day,so its dont do as i do ,but do as i say.

jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
                            Have you noticed in Hospital there are signs all over the place saying"please switch off all mobile phones"But doctors just wander about using theirs.Once when I was having my morning inspection by the consultant his phone rang and he chatted on for a couple of mins about some meeting later that day,so its dont do as i do ,but do as i say.

jim
                            Evening again jim

I think that you'll find that most hospitals removed the restrictions on the use of mobile phones quite some time back. (Exceptions being wards like ICU, Dialysis, etc. where there is a lot of equipment.)

cheers
                            Harvey

Comment

The problem is: Everyone finds other people phone ringing/conversations annoying, but think their own calls are important.
                              Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 17th October 2011, 03:39 PM.
                              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Actually being a £10 PAYG user. I used to find it so annoying at lunchtime as most the youngers were on their mobiles in the canteen however , Tesco and Asda banned phones from being taken on the shop floor and reguarly do a staff search to check.CG
                                sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X