• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I'm bored, I've nothing to do" quote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today there are some many more forms of communication (mobile phones, Internet, E-Mail, text messages etc.) but there is nothing more so say that there ever was. That's why most mobile phone call conversations are meaningless.

We are now starting to hear mobile calls on board cruise ships: "You will never guess where I am now".

It's a 'generation' thing. Most younger people seem to have an Apple I-phone which require contracts of £35 per month!

I read the other day that our index fingers use to be our most deleterious, now it's our thumbs due to 'texting'.
    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 16th October 2011, 11:57 AM.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

One or two of you seem to be devotees. So who are all these people who walk around with black plastic glued to the side of their head and why is there so much of a fuss when it would appear that. ...... IT'S NOT ME GUV, IT'S THEM 'ORRORS OVER THERE?. ....Neil

Comment

I interviewed a young guy for a job and he came into the interview with his phone switched on and held in his right hand!

Comment

I only had a PAYG phone until the beginning of this year, when I got myself an iPhone on contract.

Having a contract phone means that I tend to text and phone more, as I've paid for it. It does keep me more connected with friends and family.

One thing that does annoy me is people who constantly use their phones when at work. They're paid to work for goodness sake! That seems to have taken over from the complaints about how much time people used to spend outside smoking! One person in my team doesn't even break off her personal conversation if someone comes to her desk to talk about work
          2018-
          Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
          NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
          Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
          Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
          Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
            I interviewed a young guy for a job and he came into the interview with his phone switched on and held in his right hand!
            Seems to be the latest thing - I watched someone juggling with bags, keys and a toddler the other day and all the time the phone was in her hand.
            The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
            T Pratchett.

Comment

Yippee, it's not just me.

I feel so much better for reading these posts. I thought I was becoming a dinosaur, with £10 on my "pay as you go" phone lasting over a year. I receive a phone call on it maybe 5 or 10 times per year and get the occasional text message from my brother. I often don't know where my mobile phone is and sometimes find a message on it that is weeks old, even then the messages are so small that I need to find my glasses first.
              Yesterday, I passed a phone shop with a huge queue outside, of people wanting the latest iphone device - willing to pay around £40 - £50 per month.
              These things are killing the art of face to face conversation, it's no wonder that around 20% of kids leaving school are illiterate.
              I have developed a great dislike for mobile phones - people wander around with them clamped to their ear, shouting to say where they are and what they're doing. It's intrusive and I don't want to know what the man next to me on the train is going to do next or the why the woman in the supermarket is going to be late home. Even during show-time on a cruise ship, these infernal machines are going off or being lit up while the owners video the show.
              When we were young, we were never allowed to get bored, there were chores to do around the house and garden. Bored? - read a book, play sport, go for a walk, exercise, play board games, have a real conversation with someone, take up a hobby....just leave the mobile at home.

Comment

I was in a Department Store in Bournemouth & had to wait to pay until the Assistant had finished her 'texting', she was oblivious that I was even there!

I would have left it, but as it was the only worthwhile item to buy after a day's shopping, I put up with it!!

We cross to France quite a lot & I have lost count of the times I have heard ' We are on the Ferry' etc....... Their family and friends must be riveted by that news! Bit like watching 'paint dry'..................
                Lizzie sigpic

Comment

At my sons house last night he showed me an "app" that enables him to track where his friends and more importantly his son are at any given time. The other participants have to agree and sign up but I can see it is useful for those times when you are gradually letting the apron strings loose and your child is venturing out with friends..Carol

Comment

This is true because I witnessed it myself.

The scene, on thomson spirit two years ago in Iceland, the buffet.

A woman was on her mobile

I am in iceland she says...pause... no i can't get you a paper...pause...because i am in iceland...no... I can't i am in iceland...pause.. ICELAND THE COUNTRY

you have to laugh.

Comment

I suppose mobile phones are a bit like the internet.
                      We all in some respects rely on modern communications.
                      Normally our mobile phones are switched off... but are with us in case of an emergency.
                      They are switched on whilst on a cruise, we need to be contacted for general run of the mill business items that our Daughter needs to deal with. (She looks after it for us) Not many problems and yes it would be great not to even think about home and business, but we have to.
                      Also... We just love to know how their cruise is going... vice versa.
                      We cannot go away together, so it is so nice to be able to stay in touch. I'm enjoying her reports about their present cruise, just as she did about ours.
                      Again, as has so often happened ... Internet goes down, no Cruise dot, no forum
                      We manage, but it is so nice to stay in touch. Especially on here.
                      Last edited by Calgray, Yorkshire; 16th October 2011, 02:56 PM.
                      sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Quite a few people now dont have a land line and use only mobiles.... they really are cut off when the service collapses

Comment

Oh dear, I'm afraid I have to hold my hand up, my mobile is never off!! I don't use it a lot, but am a worrier and have to know I can be reached wherever. My hubby hasn't put any credit on his for months, he is a £10 a year user, only uses it when wants picking up from the golf club! I have mine with me on holiday, just to know I can be reached by my children (adults now!) however I have it on silent but do check it when go to the loo, would never have volume on when eating out etc, as I find that very rude, but I am lost without mine. Recently we were away for a weekend and I dropped mine down the loo in a pub, had to go stright to an o2 shop and buy a cheap one to tide me over,my sim card was fine.

Sad I know!

Comment

Originally posted by Southwinds, South Devon View Post
                            Quite a few people now dont have a land line and use only mobiles.... they really are cut off when the service collapses
                            Hello Southwinds,
                            Mobile phones are like hammers, useful when you need to use one. Anyone in business without an office finds mobile phones useful, just like a joiner and his hammer. Unfortunately a lot of insecure people use them beyond need to boost ego or something else. How sad.
                            Ta ra,
                            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
                              One thing that does annoy me is people who constantly use their phones when at work. They're paid to work for goodness sake!
                              My wife is a teacher and unlike most of her younger colleagues she does not have her mobile phone turned on in the class room. She feels that it sets a very bad example and as you say she is paid to teach.

There was an emergency and I needed to contact my wife. I phoned the school office and asked the secretary to get a message to my wife to phone me urgently with her mobile. The secretary was not impressed and said "why doesn't she keep it turned on like everybody else does?"

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                                My wife is a teacher and unlike most of her younger colleagues she does not have her mobile phone turned on in the class room. She feels that it sets a very bad example and as you say she is paid to teach.

There was an emergency and I needed to contact my wife. I phoned the school office and asked the secretary to get a message to my wife to phone me urgently with her mobile. The secretary was not impressed and said "why doesn't she keep it turned on like everybody else does?"
                                I worked in a school as a TA for 14 years, would always have my phone in my locker, on silent, but we wern't allowed them in class, school policy, which i totally agree with, any emergencies would be contacted via the office. I just always like my phone there with me, especially living in the country, driving etc.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X