• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I'm bored, I've nothing to do" quote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I'm bored, I've nothing to do" quote

Blackberry, the electronic communication thing not the fruit, fell over the other day and thousands upon thousands were so isolated that they began spinning round in circles because the sun had gone out.

What kind of existence do people lead nowadays that their whole life is reliant on a small black box with a screen on it?

How have we managed to arrive at a state of being when people are saying " I am bored" or I have nothing to do" because a piece of equipment fails.

Words fail me but then I live for most of my time without a Blackberry or a mobile, and spend my time hopelessly enjoying life, its freedom and its uninterrupted peace, Ida's requests excepted.

Did you feel the pain of non-Blackberry?

Do you NEED to take a switched on mobile with you on a cruise?

What did we do and how did we manage before the invention of mobile phones and the like?

I can remember when a telephone operator knew us individually and I loved that. .....Neil

I know I'm not up to date Neil. I managed to run a business for 10 years with my mobile in the glove compartment of my car - switched off. Two years after retirement, I still don't want to be interupted by these devices. I know they are vital but what is life coming to when you can't sit down for 2 minutes without the world collapsing because your mobile is switched off.

I don't need modern communications. Or do I?

Sky Sports Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I agree Neil...............it's sad that folks cannot survive without all this.

My mobile is for me to use in an emergency, that's it!!

We do take our mobile phones on a cruise but, except when we take them ashore so as to be able to contact the port agent or ship, in an emergency, they are left in the safe.

Comment

You need to ditch your Blackberry in favour of an HTC, a third of the price with just as many features...............

Comment

Originally posted by Diva18, UK View Post
          I agree Neil...............it's sad that folks cannot survive without all this.

My mobile is for me to use in an emergency, that's it!!

We do take our mobile phones on a cruise but, except when we take them ashore so as to be able to contact the port agent or ship, in an emergency, they are left in the safe.
          I also take the mobile, but it is for any emergencies before we depart (flights, coaches, etc). It is then switched off until we are back in England, then it is switched on to get a cab.

Comment

I hate, hate any phone.....it's always for OH; it's usually to call him out to something, and it's frequently something sad. I have to answer, in case it's an emergency, so the best thing is the caller's name coming up, or at least a phone number so I have a rough idea if it's local.
            Even with all the blocks on, calls from Asia still filter through to see if I want help with money lending/mortgages/claims....and I usually feel awful if I've been a bit terse.
            Luckily we don't have a good signal for mobiles, so our old battered one lies unused at the bottom of a drawer. Apart from the weekly call to family, I doubt I ever make a phone call...but- I do e-mail........
            Jo.
            Jo.

Comment

I still have the mobile I bought about 12 years ago - it makes calls and texts and that's it - all I need. It is on a PAYG contract and I put around £20 a year into it.
              The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
              T Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by Smee, Burntwood View Post
                You need to ditch your Blackberry in favour of an HTC, a third of the price with just as many features...............
                Being illiterate as far as tecnology is concerned, what is a blacberry and what is an HTC?

Comment

A mobile is for emergencies only in our house,although I did read that only a small proportion of people use landlines these days, If it rings by the time I have located it it has stopped and anyway, I can't usually see the number unless I have my readers on. CG
                  sigpic

Comment

I have a cheap mobile phone which I carry around in my bag. Its never switched on so no-one can phone me. But its there for an emergency if I need help and it costs me around £10 to top up every six months or so.

I just cant justify why anyone would want to spend £300 - £400 a year on phone contracts.

Comment

Ours are mainly turned off unless we are out for the day and may need to call the person we are visiting used it twice on the last cruise to see how everything was ,but we do get a fair few text messages from the Ambulance chasers our total usage on PAYG is less than £15 per year for 2 phones.
                      Funny to see people check there phone every few minutes to see if they have a message even in the middle of the Atlantic.
                      ​Taffy

Comment

My brick was almost useless as the damn thing lost its charge after twenty four hours on stand by and I got stick from family and friends... 'Your phone's never on'!!! They even had 'my new phone' picked out for me [ leave the Stone Age behind].

Thank goodness for ebay. I bought a brand new battery...and my brick is as good as new. It's on PAYG, I can text, make and receive calls and use it in the US.

Sorted!
                        Last edited by Mrs M; 16th October 2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Maybe one day gawping into phones as we walk around city centres will become an Olympic sport
                          Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Smee, Burntwood View Post
                            Please elucidate Smee, I really want to know what these things are? If I Google, I wonder if I will understand the answer?

Comment

I have a cheap PAYG which i use ocassionally for phoning a taxi while out or phoning home when on a cruise. Other than that it remains switched off and i can't be bothered to get into this texting business. When I went to the carribbean i was told I needed a fancy new phone but calculated that, for the few calls I was going to make, it was cheaper to use the ships phone in my cabin.

Apparently there was a study done last year? where students were deprived of their phone. Results included withdrawal symptoms just as if they had been deprived of a drug they were addicted to!

some people seem addicted to yacking on their phone, even when it is inconvenient to do so.

It is said that incessant talking means that their brains don't have to work

Mind you i do occassionally check these forums more often than i need to.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X