• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much longer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much longer?

Getting REALLY fed up now, just how long are we going to be kept down... The lockdown isnt working, people that dont abide by it are not all of a sudden going to change their minds and say " oh I need to wear a mask and socially distance" that includes the government, they seem to be spreading it faster than anyone, and this stupid idea of banging elbows ( boris ) you have to get closer than you would if you were shaking hands, and god knows what sort of germs are on those jackets! Our ten days of lockdown has grown now to FIVE weeks....ludicrus, was OH 70 b'day and had our cruise cancelled so booked hotel in tenby, the next day we went into lockdown........... bought a train ticket for half term to see my family, am I going to be able to use it??? and if not will I get my money back ? Now been advertised we can look forward to rolling lockdowns through the winter...Surely we just have to let it run now, people that are taking precautions will carry on doing so and the others just wont, We have protected the nhs as asked but now have to live, at the moment you cant make any plans at all............... rant over............ take care heather x x

Hope you feel better now. Try being a bit less selfish. Take a deep breath and tell yourself this is the new normal and we have to live with it until a reliable vaccine becomes available.

I’m suffering from terminal bile duct cancer and have had several hospital stays with no TV, radio or visitors. My chemo, which has now been withdrawn, meant .i was alone, connected to a drip for seven hours every Thursday. I was shielded during the first lockdown and not supposed to leave the house. This is not how I thought my life would end.

Comment

Originally posted by ev'n'clive, HENGOED View Post
      Getting REALLY fed up now, just how long are we going to be kept down... The lockdown isnt working, people that dont abide by it are not all of a sudden going to change their minds and say " oh I need to wear a mask and socially distance" that includes the government, they seem to be spreading it faster than anyone, and this stupid idea of banging elbows ( boris ) you have to get closer than you would if you were shaking hands, and god knows what sort of germs are on those jackets! Our ten days of lockdown has grown now to FIVE weeks....ludicrus, was OH 70 b'day and had our cruise cancelled so booked hotel in tenby, the next day we went into lockdown........... bought a train ticket for half term to see my family, am I going to be able to use it??? and if not will I get my money back ? Now been advertised we can look forward to rolling lockdowns through the winter...Surely we just have to let it run now, people that are taking precautions will carry on doing so and the others just wont, We have protected the nhs as asked but now have to live, at the moment you cant make any plans at all............... rant over............ take care heather x x
      I agree. I put posted this on another thread

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

People will die of this virus today, tomorrow and will continue to do so. There's no way round that. Those who are vulnerable have no choice but to shield/be extremely wary but, those who aren't are going to have to get used to the idea the virus is with us, either as is, in a weakened state or until an effective vaccine is found.

As I have said before, the powers that be are damned if they do and damned if they don't but I am coming round to the thinking we either exist, or start to live a little again. The elderly should be able to hug their relatives; the terminally ill should be able to spend what they have left of their lives with their loved ones by their side and that's plural loved ones, not singular which I think is allowed at the moment. Partners should be allowed to be at the birth of their children and all seriously ill and cancer patients should have the treatment they would normally have had pre bloody Covid. No Matt Hancock ifs, buts and we'll see. Treat the ongoing seriously ill patients.

In short, we need to be sensible, live with this virus but within our personal parameters. Our choice.
      The Great Barrington Declaration makes interesting reading. I can't post a link as it goes to unapproved if I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
        Hope you feel better now. Try being a bit less selfish. Take a deep breath and tell yourself this is the new normal and we have to live with it until a reliable vaccine becomes available.

I’m suffering from terminal bile duct cancer and have had several hospital stays with no TV, radio or visitors. My chemo, which has now been withdrawn, meant .i was alone, connected to a drip for seven hours every Thursday. I was shielded during the first lockdown and not supposed to leave the house. This is not how I thought my life would end.
        Yes that puts everything into perspective, and while I agree with the top post, I still do what I can to protect others, wearing a mask and keeping away from others.

It must be horrible for you, and my heart goes out to you .................................................. ..Carol xx

Comment

I am certainly not selfish, I have seen my family once this year, cant remember what it feels like to have a loving hug... my point is that NOTHING has improved, we are all still walking on eggshells, ( well most of us ) from what started out as a three week lockdown it has gone on for an awfully long time with no improvements in fact it has almost gone backwards, I am sure the politicians think " thats ok we will just have another lockdown" its not the way you can run the world, and I am sure you would prefer to have people around you. I really cant make out what makes you think I am being selfish, I just want the right to be able to see loved ones when I want to, we have just got another weeks lockdown so are not supposed to work even... Its for people like you that I want answers, ie when is test and trace going to work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

I agree. I put posted this on another thread

The Great Barrington Declaration makes interesting reading. I can't post a link as it goes to unapproved if I do.
            Here we go........
            https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...Zrmgbkn27JxJCJ

And just for balance another that argues the opposite......

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...fpyW72lnLCbqlK

JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

The majority are abiding by the social distancing rules, do agree with the various localised "lockdowns" and recent surveys have shown many want more rather than less measures to be introduced. Others are more selfish and say let us do what we want and effectively saying "bu66er the old folks and those with underlying health issues, let's not bother about them getting infected by us, let them just curl up in the corner and die".

Surprise, surprise to many, most/all other countries have had exactly the same issues as us all along the way, infections are now increasing everywhere, track and trace systems are not performing as expected, (The Netherlands system described yesterday as "dismally failing to meets demands") and some folk getting fed up with the restrictions being placed upon them.

All elements of of the media focus on shock, horror, scare, incompetence aspects with little or no balanced view of the tremendous challenges facing politicians, public servants and NHS staff, the great logistics successes being achieved in both manpower and materials during a once in generations worldwide pandemic. Of course mistakes have been made along the way but that happens in even the smallest of endeavours let alone one of the current magnitude.

The virus will eventually diminish just as the Great Flu Pandemic of 2018 did after 500 million had been infected and 50 million died, including my paternal grandparents orphaning my father at the age of 10. Until then we are going to have to live with restrictions and uncertainties and get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post

I feel for you. Two years ago now I was just starting what the oncologist described as a very aggressive chemo regime. At least I had my wife sat with me for the 6 hours whilst the chemicals were being pumped into me and was able to go home after each session and be looked after by her. Following the chemo and major internal plumbing modifications by skilled surgeons I was told I was "clear", in as much as anyone can be at an instant in time.

Very best wishes to you, do your best to keep your spirits up and keep on posting when you have something you wish to say.

Comment

As has has been said many times this is not an easy situation to deal with.However,that is not reason to just accept things cannot improve and not learn lessons.
                  In my view,the idea that we couldn't have handled this better has no basis in fact. Some media may revel in drama,but many have also done a great job in pointing out errors and some, not all have been acted on.There is enough data now to show that very few of the local lockdowns are working so instead of putting more areas into them,why not change the nature of the lockdowns?
                  .Weve been in this crisis 8 months now and yet only a couple of weeks ago the Prime Minister couldn't state the right lockdown measures when in the North East and tweeted a correction .
                  Maybe you could understand that at the beginning of this,but not now.
                  Be better,be more organised, serve your country properly.
                  People are cheesed off and that's understandable, but to beat this second wave we will all have to make sacrifices.
                  A particular outcome is not inevitable. Italy suffered terribly in the first wave but look at them now.

Comment

We're struggling, no doubt about it, but so is most of Europe. Are we all doing the same things because if so, it's not working is it? Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to come up with an effective course of action. In our area, Nottinghamshire, we've gone from one of the lowest infection rates to one of the highest, with the city itself the highest in the country. Our two main universities have a total of about 65,000 students, and 75% of infections are said to be in the 18-25 age group. Who thought it was a good idea to bring thousands of young people from all over the country and let them loose in our city? It surely can't be a coincidence that the surge coincided with students going back to Uni.

Comment

I believe that we just have to live with this not so wee timorous beastie as best as we can. If that means wearing masks when outside, washing hands more often and using hand gels so be it. We need to get back to some normality but safely. Everyone needs to take responsibility in protecting each other.

Before seeing grandchildren, visiting elderly family/neighbours, going on holiday, travelling on public transport or car we just need to do a quick risk assessment ie will we all be safe, do we really need to visit/travel etc and if the answer is yes then just do it but as safe as possible. If you want a cuddle from family then just have that cuddle even if it means your still wearing a mask and washing hands/using hand gel before and after that very needed cuddle.

Ev’n’clive you are not being selfish, You just want to see your family and life to get back to normal. Everyone has people/things they want to see and do and we will one day, I know it’s hard but we just need to be patient.

don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                        We're struggling, no doubt about it, but so is most of Europe. Are we all doing the same things because if so, it's not working is it? Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to come up with an effective course of action. In our area, Nottinghamshire, we've gone from one of the lowest infection rates to one of the highest, with the city itself the highest in the country. Our two main universities have a total of about 65,000 students, and 75% of infections are said to be in the 18-25 age group. Who thought it was a good idea to bring thousands of young people from all over the country and let them loose in our city? It surely can't be a coincidence that the surge coincided with students going back to Uni.
                        I agree about the upsurge in numbers happened when the universities went back. The same happened in the 3 Glasgow university halls and they were put in a two week lockdown but they had signs put up in windows saying they were in prison! The staff at the universities had since March to figure out the safest way to teach the students. Remote learning should have been implemented. The OU has been teaching remotely for years so why couldn’t the universities?

Comment

The Universities are teaching remotely in virtually all cases except practical courses.
                          They have put a lot of time and effort into preparing for teaching remotely.
                          Its not the teaching. Its forcing people from all over the country to share living spaces.
                          My daughter has just started University most students that she has come across are taking the restrictions seriously but a few aren't and are quite blatant about it.

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                            The Universities are teaching remotely in virtually all cases except practical courses.
                            They have put a lot of time and effort into preparing for teaching remotely.
                            Its not the teaching. Its forcing people from all over the country to share living spaces.
                            My daughter has just started University most students that she has come across are taking the restrictions seriously but a few aren't and are quite blatant about it.
                            If remote learning is up and running Then uni students shouldn’t have been allowed to move into halls of residence and foreign students should have been told to stay in their own countries/homes and study remotely. I think a large amount of students are not following the rules as they think they’re immune to the virus.

Comment

Thank you JC for post #6

. I have no idea why but I can't quote you without going unapproved.

This shows what a cleft stick the authorities are in. Which camp is right? I have no idea and to be honest, I don';t think some of the experts do either.

All I'll say is, I have the deepest respect for one of the signatories to the Barrington document. Professor Karol Sikora. I have been following his Twitter account just recently. Talks a lot of sense.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X