• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Cunard have any plans . . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Cunard have any plans . . . .

Does any one know if Cunard has any plans to introduce Freedom Dining, or whatever it is called on other lines?

PS For some unknown reason I had to upload a photo.

They do have freedom dining, but only if you book a Britannia Club Stateroom, Booking "Grills" is freedom anyway in their respective dining rooms.

Comment

I haven't heard of any plans but I certainly wish they would , 6 oclock too early and 8 30 too late for us ,
      We opt for the early sitting as it seems the best option ,
      I suppose they could change at some point after all they never had tea making facilities in the cabins previously but they do now .
      When we fill out the customer review form at the end of the cruise I always say we would prefer freedom dining .

Comment

Originally posted by mauden, billingham View Post
        I haven't heard of any plans but I certainly wish they would , 6 oclock too early and 8 30 too late for us ,
        We opt for the early sitting as it seems the best option ,
        Surely the selling point of Cunard is traditions, such as dressing for dinner and fixed dining times.

I accept that they ARE easing their hard-line, which is very sad.
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Never say never

Comment

Maybe they will trial it on one ship like other lines have?
            Last edited by philhar, wallasey; 10th October 2019, 07:01 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I don’t like freedom dining , I lenjoy meeting up with my table mates most evenings and talking about our days .
              i always go for late dining , and large tables

Comment

Originally posted by spanish lady, torrevieja View Post
                I don’t like freedom dining , I lenjoy meeting up with my table mates most evenings and talking about our days .
                i always go for late dining , and large tables
                If/when Cunard do trial Freedom Dining, it will be partial and not total. The set times are inconvenient for some passengers and so I can see the merit in a partial ''anytime'', which let's face it, Club and the Grills already have.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                  Was
                  If/when Cunard do trial Freedom Dining, it will be partial and not total. The set times are inconvenient for some passengers and so I can see the merit in a partial ''anytime'', which let's face it, Club and the Grills already have.
                  Many years ago Cunard Caronia had Freedom Dining. From what I can remember, you could dine at any time between 6.30 - 9.00pm. Admittedly Caronia was a smaller ship than any of the current Queens. I believe the ship was eventually sold to The Saga Group.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

Surely the selling point of Cunard is traditions, such as dressing for dinner and fixed dining times.

I accept that they ARE easing their hard-line, which is very sad.

I think we should be careful to not confuse tradition with simply provider convenience.

I get the dressing for dinner is a tradition to be enjoyed by the passengers who want that sort of thing, but telling people what time to eat and where is surely nothing of the sort. Otherwise why don't they do it in the Grills?

And anyway tradition in this very short term context only really means preference of a particular demographic. That's changing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post

Many years ago Cunard Caronia had Freedom Dining. From what I can remember, you could dine at any time between 6.30 - 9.00pm. Admittedly Caronia was a smaller ship than any of the current Queens. I believe the ship was eventually sold to The Saga Group.
                      Caronia was slightly different in that it was assigned table single sitting(come when you want), the dining room was a big enough to accommodate every one at the same time

I think there may be a few left that still operate that model MDR*, most ships the capacity of the dining room and the galley won't accommodate everyone so they have to stagger the service either over 2 sittings or over an extended period.

* There are ships with dining capacity to have everyone dining at the same time but across multiple restaurants.

Comment

Cunard have an opportunity to trial the idea on the 4th Queen currently under construction. Perhaps they could use one floor in the MDR for freedom and the other fixed. I always liked the 2nd sitting as it gave me a time to work too but increasingly I have loved the freedom aspect and now choose it if available.

I still really enjoy Cunard and the way they do things and there is a place for retaining it's formality, but it would be interesting to see the takers for freedom dining...Carol

Comment

With Caronia, I do remember that some passengers who were used to a fixed dining time and table, always ate at the same time at the same table. I don’t think you had to book for a specific time. I would dine at 7.30 - 8.00 and often sat with the same passengers. The early diners had long gone. Many senior UK passengers are creatures of habit and very set in their ways, or have medical conditions that dictate their need to eat at a regular time. I noticed on my recent cruise on Celebrity Silhouette the buffet became quite busy in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                            Cunard have an opportunity to trial the idea on the 4th Queen currently under construction. Perhaps they could use one floor in the MDR for freedom and the other fixed. I always liked the 2nd sitting as it gave me a time to work too but increasingly I have loved the freedom aspect and now choose it if available.

I still really enjoy Cunard and the way they do things and there is a place for retaining it's formality, but it would be interesting to see the takers for freedom dining...Carol
                            I think if Cunard are going to trial freedom dining, they won't wait until 2022.

Comment

I would welcome that. It would certainly make Cunard more appealing for us.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X