• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATOL Protection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

I disagree.

My comprehensive Travel Insurance will cover all those things, so why pay for ATOL?
    ATOL is free to the consumer.

Why the agent charges more is a question for the agent??

Annie

Comment

I disagree.

My comprehensive Travel Insurance will cover all those things, so why pay for ATOL?
      Our travel insurance is top of the range/pretty well platinum coated, but not every one has the same level of cover. Blanket cover for all may be?

As to agents, maybe the extra is to cover possible admin if things go toes up?

Comment

ATOL is a requirement of package regulations if the package includes flights.

Based on what ATOL costs, the £100s differences are not ATOL fees.

​​​​​​https://www.caa.co.uk/ATOL-protectio...ATOL-licences/

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
          ATOL is a requirement of package regulations if the package includes flights.

Based on what ATOL costs, the £100s differences are not ATOL fees.

​​​​​​https://www.caa.co.uk/ATOL-protectio...ATOL-licences/
          I think that's been established. I can only think the extra is a possible admin premium and definitely on the loaded side of premium. We just absorb it into the overall cost, and grimace and bear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

I think that's been established. I can only think the extra is a possible admin premium and definitely on the loaded side of premium. We just absorb it into the overall cost, and grimace and bear it.
            I suspect your cruise allowance is much higher than ours, if your discounts on the cruise portion are not significant then along with your admin/flight premium I can see why your TA may be on call.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

I suspect your cruise allowance is much higher than ours, if your discounts on the cruise portion are not significant then along with your admin/flight premium I can see why your TA may be on call.
              I am a value cruiser and on a recent quote the cost of the Atol protection effectively doubled the cost of my flight. Whether that was down to the booking portal I do not know but I do know it was not ATOL fees.

Annie

Comment

My guess is, the flights were more and they couldnt get the cheaper flights you wanted within their package so misled you into saying it was to do with ATOL protection

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                  My guess is, the flights were more and they couldnt get the cheaper flights you wanted within their package so misled you into saying it was to do with ATOL protection
                  Let's cut to the chase, they were not honest.

BTW the flights were exactly the same as I was pricing. I dictated the flights.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                    As we don't place any restrictions on pricing, that wouldn't apply in our case.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Let's cut to the chase, they were not honest.

BTW the flights were exactly the same as I was pricing. I dictated the flights.

Annie
                      I agree Annie, and that is made worse by me dictating exact flights and times, even quoting the actual airline prices.............Wilba
                      Wilba

Comment

When dynamic packaging first happened Atol was used by agents to panic travellers into having protection that wasn’t automatically there by packaging separately.

My take on it would be that you know the cost of the flight and you know the cost of the cruise. You’ve asked an agent to package it for you. They’ve added a booking fee of sorts to make some commission and are telling you it’s ATOL to try and hide their packaging procedures and thus their earnings.

Comment

I agree Annie, and that is made worse by me dictating exact flights and times, even quoting the actual airline prices.............Wilba
                          Snap - I quoted the airline prices from their website. The response was as an agent, those 'low' prices are not always available to them - yeah right!

Caveat emptor.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post
                            When dynamic packaging first happened Atol was used by agents to panic travellers into having protection that wasn’t automatically there by packaging separately.

My take on it would be that you know the cost of the flight and you know the cost of the cruise. You’ve asked an agent to package it for you. They’ve added a booking fee of sorts to make some commission and are telling you it’s ATOL to try and hide their packaging procedures and thus their earnings.
                            Thanks cc.

To cut to the chase again, they are 'padding' the package to increase the agency earnings and their commission - JMO.

Reasonable and transparent fees please.

Annie

Comment

One other thing to watch out for booking cruises.

​​​​​​Unless you package(add a component) you are probably not covered by the TAs ABTA membership.

Most sell cruises on an agent only basis so your fall back for package regulations and ABTA cover is the cruise line.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Thanks cc.

To cut to the chase again, they are 'padding' the package to increase the agency earnings and their commission - JMO.

Reasonable and transparent fees please.

Annie
                                There are agents out there packaging cheaper often when the cruise line dump.

Airlines also dump, Virgin fare last year £1k for a late booking(next couple of days) available for £450 once the searches were in.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X