• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATOL Protection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATOL Protection?

I hope someone can help with this conundrum. When going long haul, cruise, land or both, with very few exceptions, I have always booked my own flights, with ‘cruise only’ direct with the cruiseline or agent.

I recently asked for a quote via an agent for a two week cruise and long haul flights. Naturally I was asked if I had already got a price in mind, to which I replied yes, the cruise via the cruiseline website and air via the airline website, and was looking for a discount on both.

I negotiated a fair discount on the cruise and she would call me back with a total price on the airline, times and airport of my choice. Transfers were not required.

Ten minutes later I got the call back and was gobsmacked that the price was over £300 more for the two of us than I had anticipated. Why? Because when the two elements were wrapped in ATOL Protection, there is a price to pay. I stupidly expected ATOL to be a free service/agent requirement.

So my question is.

What does ATOL give me over and above my overpriced comprehensive travel insurance, which covers me for flight and hotel/cruise failure?

I resent paying twice over for the same thing, so c’mon guys and gals tell me where my assumptions are misguided……………Wilba

Wilba

Good point Wilba. Something we have never questioned, just asked Sam to e-mail the ATOL document before we leave. I suppose belt and braces is a good thing. I'll be interested to know if anyone can enlighten us. Judith

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
      I hope someone can help with this conundrum. When going long haul, cruise, land or both, with very few exceptions, I have always booked my own flights, with ‘cruise only’ direct with the cruiseline or agent.

I recently asked for a quote via an agent for a two week cruise and long haul flights. Naturally I was asked if I had already got a price in mind, to which I replied yes, the cruise via the cruiseline website and air via the airline website, and was looking for a discount on both.

I negotiated a fair discount on the cruise and she would call me back with a total price on the airline, times and airport of my choice. Transfers were not required.

Ten minutes later I got the call back and was gobsmacked that the price was over £300 more for the two of us than I had anticipated. Why? Because when the two elements were wrapped in ATOL Protection, there is a price to pay. I stupidly expected ATOL to be a free service/agent requirement.

So my question is.

What does ATOL give me over and above my overpriced comprehensive travel insurance, which covers me for flight and hotel/cruise failure?

I resent paying twice over for the same thing, so c’mon guys and gals tell me where my assumptions are misguided……………Wilba

I have had a similar experience Wilba.

My understanding is ATOL protection is free to the consumer but costs the agent £2.50 pp

http://www.caa.co.uk/ATOL-protection...rs/About-ATOL/

Annie

Comment

We found this anomaly between Expedia and agent pricing, years ago and were told it was the ATOL protection. No problem for us as it’s a given we book some sort of ATOL protected deal when travelling long haul, having been lucky enough to get all my money back during the Ash Crisis.
        i can only think, the costings include paper work and rearrangements which be required should action be required. It’s an insurance after all and we all know, insurance costs!

Comment

ATOL never really concerns me as I always pay for travel (flights and cruises) with my Amex credit card, which provides me with a considerable amount of travel support, including delayed baggage and flight delays etc. Plus of course the standard credit card protection the card provides. When I bolt that lot onto my standard travel insurance I’ve got all the protection I need. I’ve been travelling for the best part of 50 years and I’ve never had an issue that required ATOL protection. Hopefully that will continue.

Comment

Ultimately you want to go on the cruise so build in contingency in the travel schedule that give alternatives if the first bit fails.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
              Ultimately you want to go on the cruise so build in contingency in the travel schedule that give alternatives if the first bit fails.
              I always try and arrive at least 2 days before our cruise. It also allows us to relax after a flight, especially if it’s a Caribbean itinerary.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                I always build in contingency, very often at no cost at all, just simple logistics such as you have mentioned, even if that means a dash and sprint to a nearby airport.

My question is why should I pay twice over for ATOL and Insurance? If I'm paying twice I want the right to claim twice. No such luck as Insurance never pay out if a claim has been made elsewhere.

Wilba

Comment

I always build in contingency, very often at no cost at all, just simple logistics such as you have mentioned, even if that means a dash and sprint to a nearby airport.

My question is why should I pay twice over for ATOL and Insurance? If I'm paying twice I want the right to claim twice. No such luck as Insurance never pay out if a claim has been made elsewhere.
                  Does all travel insurance cover all the ATOL bases? Will the insurance company source the flights if the airline /travel company goes bump whilst the customer is abroad?

Mr and Mrs Smith stuck abroad might not be capable of dealing with such problems on their own, even if they had travel ins.

It bugs us we have to pay hundreds more for a ''packaged'' flight, even though the flights are of our own specification , but we go with it, especially if the ship leaves a port and is at sea for a few days, and that's with the added protection of a couple of nights in the departing city.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Does all travel insurance cover all the ATOL bases? Will the insurance company source the flights if the airline /travel company goes bump whilst the customer is abroad?

Mr and Mrs Smith stuck abroad might not be capable of dealing with such problems on their own, even if they had travel ins.

It bugs us we have to pay hundreds more for a ''packaged'' flight, even though the flights are of our own specification , but we go with it, especially if the ship leaves a port and is at sea for a few days, and that's with the added protection of a couple of nights in the departing city.
                    That was my original question. What are the differences, if any?...................Wilba
                    Wilba

Comment

“ATOL may cover you if your holiday company goes bust, but it won’t cover you for lots of other things that give you peace of mind when you travel – things like losing your bags, getting injured or ill abroad or having to cancel your plans because of a family emergency or other unforeseen events”

So getting travel insurance for any trip, especially if you’re heading abroad, is highly recommended.

https://www.comparethemarket.com/tra...ol-protection/

Seems to to be self explanatory in regards to your question Wilba

Comment

It is not always more, more often than not the packages with RCI, Celebrity, Princess have been cheaper than I could source myself(except using miles) and you can choose the dates you fly even use different airports to where the cruise is, like cruise into Florida fly out of Boston a week or 2 later.

Easy(but tedious sometimes) to check online what flights they have(unless booking too far out) checking dates around the cruise.

When the cruise line does not have the flights I can get or something close I do my own.

I prefer cruise line packaging over a TA package so make sure when asking for flights through a TA they check the cruise line package flights as well as their own.

One ways can be a stumble as they are often easier to source using foreign suppliers the TAs probably can't use.

​​​​​​Remember your cruise is already covered by package regs even without a flying, adding the flight helps as the protection starts earlier for being unable to travel due to package failure.

Double dipping has always a insurance exclusion.
                        Eg most medical cover requires you to have EHIC card cover.

Comment

My question would be if ATOL only costs an agent £2.50 pp to buy why is the uplift in pricing over £300 for two people??

Transparency ??

Annie
                          Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 27th August 2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

In some cases it will be the booking portal the TA is using just doesn't have the cheaper flights/hotels so can't compete.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                              “ATOL may cover you if your holiday company goes bust, but it won’t cover you for lots of other things that give you peace of mind when you travel – things like losing your bags, getting injured or ill abroad or having to cancel your plans because of a family emergency or other unforeseen events”

So getting travel insurance for any trip, especially if you’re heading abroad, is highly recommended.

https://www.comparethemarket.com/tra...ol-protection/

Seems to to be self explanatory in regards to your question Wilba
                              I disagree.

My comprehensive Travel Insurance will cover all those things, so why pay for ATOL?
                              Wilba

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X