• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cunard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cunard

A particular itinerary means that we may book a Cunard cruise after some five years away from them. However, reading reviews there are some scathing remarks about what is seen as Cunard's greed and lowering of standards - $3US for any small bottle of water + 15% with no other sources, some ports having no shuttle buses, ultra high drinks prices, indifferent food etc. We are happy to pay a fair price to begin with for a good quality cruise but do not expect to then pay extra for any and every 'extra'. What say the Cunarders on here?

The are only a few differences that I have noted; the free "champagne" at the receptions is now Spumante, and, contrary to the rest of the world, in the Grills, Cunard has changed the water bottles from glass to PLASTIC.

Comment

I have only done two Cunards, both on QM2. The first was five or six years ago, and last year we did a two nighter out of Southampton.

On my first cruise I didn’t think their charges (drinks) were any more excessive than the likes of Celebrity, RCI at the time, but last year I felt I was involved in an armed robbery every time I handed my cruise card over for a drink.

I know two nighters are never a good example of any cruise lines true form, but the food in the Britannia MDR was nothing special compared to any other populous cruiseline.

I enjoyed Cunard, but I think they have seen the last of the inside of my wallet.

I get the impression Cunard think they are more special than they really are……………Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

Hi all
        Incoming!!!!
        JC
        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

I have sailed on QM2 3 t imes and QV once in recent years. The food is OK but not particularly good in my opinion.

On my last Cunard cruise (last year), I felt as though I had been mugged when I bought a round a of drinks and the service in the bar was poor too.

The drinks order was not only wrong but doubles were charged for when they were not ordered.

I complained to the bar manager who did put the matter right but the experience left me feeling that I won't be in a hurry to do another Cunard trip any time soon.
          Jill

Comment

Cunard seems to be very subjective.
            I am a dyed in the wool Victorian and am totally biased so my opinion is worthless in this instance.

Someone like CC would be good to ask as she went on Victoria earlier this year, possibly expecting the worst after their disastrous QM2 experience, and they had a wonderful time.

On all cruisevlines, I find the tap in the bathroom a pretty good source of water and always take a small bottle with me, to refill when needed.

Comment

I’m not a Cunarder but when I read your post, in particular “$3US for any small bottle of water + 15% with no other sources, some ports having no shuttle buses, ultra high drinks prices, indifferent food etc” it could easily be Royal Caribbean or potentially any other cruise line. I hope this isn’t the future of cruising.

Comment

Our only Cunard experience was two years ago when we did a 15 night T/A on QM2......we were totally underwhelmed with food and service.....after being charged for doubles when we ordered singles we had no more alcoholic drinks for the remainder of the crossings. I was so disappointed as the trip was on my must do bucket list ! It is the one cruise (out of over 40) that we regret doing!!

Comment

Never been to a port where a Cunard shuttle bus, when needed, wasn't provided.

Some fares might require payment for the shuttle but then the fares will be lower than the regular fare so that's OK in my book.

Compared to the P&O experience I had on Arcadia, drink prices are definitely higher on Cunard. How they compare with other lines, I don't know, but then the price of drinks is just a part of our cruise and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have had no problem with any of the service, on any of the three ships

Comment

I have never purchased water on any cruise. I buy large bottles onshore plus a couple of small bottles which we top up and keep in the fridge. I do not see the point of spending a fortune on water if not necessary. I would not use tap water either! On Princess the water tasted like soap as I discovered when cleaning my teeth. On Explorer last year it ran brown for the first three days! Fortunately we had taken several bottles of both water and soft drinks on board on embarkation.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser, Larne View Post
                      I have never purchased water on any cruise. I buy large bottles onshore plus a couple of small bottles which we top up and keep in the fridge. I do not see the point of spending a fortune on water if not necessary. I would not use tap water either! On Princess the water tasted like soap as I discovered when cleaning my teeth. On Explorer last year it ran brown for the first three days! Fortunately we had taken several bottles of both water and soft drinks on board on embarkation.
                      Cunard have water dispensers in the Lido so one could fill up there. However, had no problem with any tap water on any cruise ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                        Cunard seems to be very subjective.
                        I am a dyed in the wool Victorian and am totally biased so my opinion is worthless in this instance.

Someone like CC would be good to ask as she went on Victoria earlier this year, possibly expecting the worst after their disastrous QM2 experience, and they had a wonderful time.

On all cruisevlines, I find the tap in the bathroom a pretty good source of water and always take a small bottle with me, to refill when needed.
                        Yep, I never buy bottled water either on sea or on land.

Jill

Comment

I love QM2, you can get water free from the buffet anytime. Also iced water with your meals in the MDR you don't pay any extra. The food is good if you like that sort of thing in the MDR, bit fussy for my liking, but you can ask for extra of anything you do like. The buffet food is lovely. The Golden Lion does 'pub' food included, and the fish and chips are legendary.
                          Yes drinks are rather high, but then it keeps the stag and hen parties away. You can't have everything .................................................. ........Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                            I have sailed on QM2 3 t imes and QV once in recent years. The food is OK but not particularly good in my opinion.

On my last Cunard cruise (last year), I felt as though I had been mugged when I bought a round a of drinks and the service in the bar was poor too.

The drinks order was not only wrong but doubles were charged for when they were not ordered.

I complained to the bar manager who did put the matter right but the experience left me feeling that I won't be in a hurry to do another Cunard trip any time soon.
                            It did sound as if your waiter wasn't on the ball but when mistakes are made, it's all about how they're rectified.

Cunard have done us proud with past forum cruises and I think we all had a great time.

Comment

Our love of Cunard started with QE2 - I loved that ship however it was getting old and the new modern ships were offering balcony cabins at very affordable prices and having our own outdoor space really appealed to us so we 'jumped ship' and didn't sail with Cunard again for ten years until 2010, I wanted to book a cruise for a 'special birthday' for my husband and Cunard were ticking all the boxes so I booked the QM2 ... all I can say is the moment I stepped on board I thought why did I leave it 10 years, it just got better and better and I couldn't wait to book the next one.

There have been small changes we've noticed over the last nine years but overall we are very happy with them and it would take a lot to entice me away again, Queen Victoria is my favorite Queen but I'm happy to go on any of them if they are going where I want to go at the time I want to go.

Jo

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X