• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fred Olsen flights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fred Olsen flights

The cost of upgrading out flights for our cruise from Cairns to Columbo in January next year was too expensive so I asked if I could upgrade the leg from Abu Dhabi to Cairns. The answer was no. I am really regretting booming the cruise with the flights included but am reluctant to change to cruise only even if we can ad I am not sure what the situation regarding columbo will be . It may all be ok by January but if the ship dosnt go tbere and we have booked our own flights we will be in a difficult position.
    So, resigned to flying all the way in economy, today I enquired when we would be able to book our seats on the flights.

I was shocked by the reply. We will not be able to choose our seats. They will be allocated when we check in at the airport and they will try to seat us together.
    I am not at all happy with this arrangement. I have never experienced this on a long haul flight before and we have done lots.
    I was really looking forward to this cruise, we had such a good time on Boudicca last year, but I am seriously thinking if cancelling.

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
    The cost of upgrading out flights for our cruise from Cairns to Columbo in January next year was too expensive so I asked if I could upgrade the leg from Abu Dhabi to Cairns. The answer was no. I am really regretting booming the cruise with the flights included but am reluctant to change to cruise only even if we can ad I am not sure what the situation regarding columbo will be . It may all be ok by January but if the ship dosnt go tbere and we have booked our own flights we will be in a difficult position.
    So, resigned to flying all the way in economy, today I enquired when we would be able to book our seats on the flights.

I was shocked by the reply. We will not be able to choose our seats. They will be allocated when we check in at the airport and they will try to seat us together.
    I am not at all happy with this arrangement. I have never experienced this on a long haul flight before and we have done lots.
    I was really looking forward to this cruise, we had such a good time on Boudicca last year, but I am seriously thinking if cancelling.
    Which airline??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Which airline??

Annie
      I was about to ask the same. Our last few cruise flights have been with BA and Virgin, and we were able to choose our sets directly with the airline. This was chargeable with BA, but free with Virgin.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

I was about to ask the same. Our last few cruise flights have been with BA and Virgin, and we were able to choose our sets directly with the airline. This was chargeable with BA, but free with Virgin.
        I am guessing Etihad??

ILS - you may be lucky and receive a complimentary upgrade - I did but I still would not travel with them again.

Probably just me I like control of my flights.

Annie

Comment

I am guessing Etihad??

ILS - you may be lucky and receive a complimentary upgrade - I did but I still would not travel with them again.

Probably just me I like control of my flights.

Annie
          No it's not just my you. I like don't go of my flights too. I don't kniw what we were tho king of when we booked. It seemed a good idea at the time. We will never make this mistake again.
          We are flyiibg with Ethiad and Qatar. Well we will be if we go!

We haven't flown eith either before. Last time we flew to Australia we were with Quantas and had no problem upgrading one sector of the flight.
          The first time I flew to Australia I was on my own. I flew with Gulf air. I was upgraded on the way back but I don't expect we will be so lucky on this trip. We will be lucky if we even get sat together by the sound of it.

Comment

Which leg does Qatar have??

Annie

Comment

I have some sympathy as we'd never book a cruise and not have control over our flights, even booking twenty two months before a cruise, as we did for trip earlier this year. We didn't know final costs or scheduling but we had a rough idea as non charter airlines don't change these too much, year on year.

Can you cancel the cruise and transfer the deposit, but transfer it to an agent and then book the same cruise again but with the agent booking the flights? If you book it as a package, if anything happens to the scheduling, it's the agent's responsibility to get you onto a relevant flight.

Edit

Or the other way round, cancel, re book and transfer it to an agent?

Double Edit
              and if it's with Etihad, go for it. yet another friend had nothing but praise for the airline.
              Last edited by Mrs M; 4th June 2019, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I have no personal experience with either Etihad or Qatar, but had understood they were highly regarded. Do you have your flight numbers/ airline booking ref? If so, I would either phone them directly or look at their web sites to see if you can upgrade or at least choose your seats. If not, and you decide to go ahead with your cruise, arrive at check in early and you should be seated together.

Comment

Which leg does Qatar have??

Annie
                  We ar flying home with Qatar, Colombo to Manchester

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                    I have some sympathy as we'd never book a cruise and not have control over our flights, even booking twenty two months before a cruise, as we did for trip earlier this year. We didn't know final costs or scheduling but we had a rough idea as non charter airlines don't change these too much, year on year.

Can you cancel the cruise and transfer the deposit, but transfer it to an agent and then book the same cruise again but with the agent booking the flights? If you book it as a package, if anything happens to the scheduling, it's the agent's responsibility to get you onto a relevant flight.

Edit

Or the other way round, cancel, re book and transfer it to an agent?

Double Edit
                    and if it's with Etihad, go for it. yet another friend had nothing but praise for the airline.
                    That is a good idea about getting agent to package the flights. I will look into it tomorrow. Initially we booked on board then transferred the booking to cruise.co when we got home. When we booked we got a price for cruise only and the future cruise consultant said if we were not happy with the flight when we found out who we would be flying with we could change our booking to cruise only but we didn't get this confirmed in writing. We do still have the quote for cruise only but of course prices change and I would suspect we would have to pay the current price. We got various discounts for booking on board and gratuities included and a drinks package, whether this would still stand I don't know.

Comment

What's the point of transferring to a TA if don't get them to sort out the problems.

Tel them what you want and let them make it happen.

Comment

That is a good idea about getting agent to package the flights. I will look into it tomorrow. Initially we booked on board then transferred the booking to cruise.co when we got home. When we booked we got a price for cruise only and the future cruise consultant said if we were not happy with the flight when we found out who we would be flying with we could change our booking to cruise only but we didn't get this confirmed in writing. We do still have the quote for cruise only but of course prices change and I would suspect we would have to pay the current price. We got various discounts for booking on board and gratuities included and a drinks package, whether this would still stand I don't know.
                        Topdeck is right. If you have given it to an agent and you were verbally told you could change the booking, then get them to do so.

If they can't/won't, then cancel and transfer to an agent who will sort it out for you.

Comment

It wasnt the agent who told us we could change to cruise only, it was the future cruise consultant on board Boudicca. We got the quote printed out and still have it but I dont think we will be able to have it for that price now. I have had a loo at the current cruise only price on FO website. It is more than our quote and no drinks package although it does include gratuities. I will see what I can sort out tomorrow.
                          I am sure better flights must be available. I don't remember it taking 30 hours last time we flew to Australia.

Comment

You pay the TA.

Get them to sort out converting your cruise to cruise only retaining your perks at the same price as you were quoted along side the packaged price and package it with the flights you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                              You pay the TA.

Get them to sort out converting your cruise to cruise only retaining your perks at the same price as you were quoted along side the packaged price and package it with the flights you want.
                              Yes I think they is the way forward but I suspect FO will say we have to pay the price the cruise is now, not what it was when we booked. Do you think they will let us have it on the terms we booked at the price we were quoted for cruise only?
                              I really can't believe we can't choose our seats before we check in even if we pay to do so

I had a hospital appointment yesterday and I got talking to the receptionist about cruising. She is going on RCI out of Singapore and had had to pay £600 for her and her husband go sit together. They wasnt for any upgraded seats, just to choose the seats they had already paid for. What a rip off

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X