• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taxi Levy ex Mayflower Terminal Southampton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxi Levy ex Mayflower Terminal Southampton

Disembarking at the Mayflower Terminal last Thursday I took a taxi from the rank. The driver asked me for £1 to give to the "taxi controller" He said this was obligatory. This a new one to me and there was no receipt. Does anyone know: Why this is necessary?. Who gets the money? Is the authority ( ABP/Southampton Council) complicit?

Sounds dodgy to me. I haven't come across it before,

Comment

This has been in practice for the last couple of years, I have no idea who the money goes to but would assume the port authority.
      Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
        Sounds dodgy to me. I haven't come across it before,
        I think it was implemented by APB last year. It's to do with improving the marshalling of taxi ranks at all the terminals. I assumed it was in the fare though as we've never had to give an 'extra £1'.
        Last edited by Mrs M; 30th May 2015, 04:40 PM.

Comment

only pay what is on the meter, any argument ask him to call the police.

Comment

While waiting for a taxi at Mayflower Terminal on Thursday we were talking to the controller who was doing an excellent job in directing people to the next available taxi, we commented that this was a big improvement on the last time we took a taxi from Mayflower Terminal when it was a free for all, he explained that if you want to go 200 yards down the road or 200 miles the next available taxi has to accept you. Apparently previously to this taxi drivers were refusing local journeys in favour of long distance journeys. When we paid our taxi driver at the end of our journey £1 was added to the fare for the controller.
            Oriana
            Oceana
            Ventura
            Queen Mary 2
            Queen Victoria
            Queen Elizabeth

Comment

heathrow has had this for years but no surcharge.

Comment

Hi all
                Liverpool Airport had this for years,a £2 levy,they told you it was extra as soon as you got in the cab.
                Its still £2 as they now have to drop you in the drop off car park,which is £2 for everyone.
                Nobody can drop off on the roadway outside of the airport,only buses.
                JC
                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

All though it not an open charge ,getting a taxi in the Caribbean is dearer at the port then outside the port area .
                  I presume its for the people who do the allocation of taxis ...Taffy
                  ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                    Hi all
                    Liverpool Airport had this for years,a £2 levy,they told you it was extra as soon as you got in the cab.
                    Its still £2 as they now have to drop you in the drop off car park,which is £2 for everyone.
                    Nobody can drop off on the roadway outside of the airport,only buses.
                    JC
                    I am having to try hard to restrain myself from making any comment concerning any charge made in the Liverpool area ......Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                      I am having to try hard to restrain myself from making any comment concerning any charge made in the Liverpool area ......Neil
                      now now Neil behave. Stay behind that sofa lol

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                        Hi Neil
                        A bit cryptic that one!!!!! Can you explain?
                        JC
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

As well as seeking an answer on this forum I have formally written to Associated British Ports asking for the background to this. In brief, this guy (un-uniformed) stands and collects £1 cash from every taxi leaving the terminal, and the taxi driver adds it to the customers bill. According to APB's published information there are 1.6 million cruise passengers arriving at Southampton annually. This means that if only 1 in 10 take a taxi form the terminal then some £160,000 per year cash is collected through this little bit of extortion. My questions to ABP are: 1.Where does this money go? 2. Is it declared for tax? . So far ABP are unable to answer following my email and two follow-ups.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X