• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valid review removed - why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valid review removed - why?

Can someone please explain to me why my review of my recent cruise on NCL Epic was removed? Was it because there were some nasty personal attacks on me? Why am I punished? I put an honest review of a bad experience which I believe others should be aware of, why therefore have you deemed to remove it? Why didn't you just remove the nasty remarks? I am really perplexed

Whilst I wouldn't call the pathetic comments nasty, just...pathetic, I'm positive you aren't 'being punished' for anything and there's a rational explanation why your review isn't 'up' at the moment. Hopefully, all will become clear.
    Do you have it saved so you can reproduce it on the forum? If not, I have it on a 'screen shot'.

Comment

Hi there
      It may just have been temporarily removed for moderating...it's difficult to take out the nasty remarks and for the rest to remain in context.
      Personally I don't normally read or write reviews for this very reason..
      If I was Cruisedot I would only allow persons who are registered on the site to comment..that way they could check IP addresses and if necessary ban the perpetrators.
      It won't stop it but it will certainly make it more difficult for those people who feel the need to make those kind of comments.
      Regards
      Garfield

P.S. Best wishes for a positive outcome in your communication with NCL
      Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 19th February 2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Hi if you read the recent how to improve cruise dot thread, we had broached the subject of mean comments to reviews on the main site. Dave had said to bring them to his attention if we ever saw them. So earlier today or last night I posted a comment saying that you had given your opinion on your recent cruise and that some of the comments you had received had been unnecessary and mean. Go read the thread to see my exact words. I was defending you and your right to post your review without being attacked. Dave replied to say he was going to go and look at it. Maybe that's what he's doing? Why don't you pm him and ask?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
          Hi if you read the recent how to improve cruise dot thread, we had broached the subject of mean comments to reviews on the main site. Dave had said to bring them to his attention if we ever saw them. So earlier today or last night I posted a comment saying that you had given your opinion on your recent cruise and that some of the comments you had received had been unnecessary and mean. Go read the thread to see my exact words. I was defending you and your right to post your review without being attacked. Dave replied to say he was going to go and look at it. Maybe that's what he's doing? Why don't you pm him and ask?
          I'm sure there's a good reason for it to be MIA for the moment and Garfield and yourself have made valid points.

If there IS any moderating being done, whilst I think some comments WERE unkind, I do hope there's no knee jerk reaction to over moderate [similar] remarks. I think the like/dislike thumbs show where folks thoughts lie on pathetically unnecessary comments. Nasty comments? Yes, remove but comments from twits who somehow seem to almost enjoy being pathetic, leave them in and let the thumbs do the talking!

Comment

Hi again Norfolkgal,

I am sure you kept a copy of your review, but in case you didn't, here is a copy for those who can no longer read it.

Best Wishes, Lizzie

Family dream holiday? Disaster from start to finish

We had decided to use our life savings to treat the whole family to a truly memorable dream holiday…..a once in a lifetime Caribbean cruise to remember long after we are gone. Well it will certainly be remembered, but for all the wrong reasons!

Our complete family of five children, their respective partners and two grandchildren had been excitedly looking forward to this trip for a whole year, planning the journey, the destinations, the trips out and the luxury cruise. They had all saved their spending money and bought new clothes in anticipation of this wonderful adventure. I cannot put into words my feelings of utter desolation at the memories and experiences we have all encountered.
            NCL EPIC DISASTER
            Embarkation was relatively easy and we were all appointed our cabins. During the original booking process I had stressed the ages of the children and their requirements, stating that although the rest of the party had outside balcony cabins I was concerned about the safety of the children and therefore felt inside ‘family’ cabins would be more suitable. I asked for cots to be provided and assumed as the cabins were described as ‘family’ cabins and cots could be provided, they would be suitable for purpose. WRONG again. When my children got to the cabins they saw how restricted the space was and asked where the cots were, only to be told none had been requested…..despite the fact that the children were charged for and were listed. My daughter asked if safety rails were fitted to the pull down beds so the children could sleep in them……….they are aged 17months and 22months? The stewards told us that they weren’t suitable for such young children so maybe the children could sleep in the bed below and Mum & Dad could sleep in the bunk beds? I don’t think so! Finally the staff conceded and went off to find cots. They then proceeded to empty furniture out of the cabins in a bid to reconfigure the space to accommodate the cots ( which were obviously not made to fit these cabins) The cots that were brought along first were so tiny that when my daughter demonstrated by putting her 22month son in it, he had to curl up into a foetal position to fit & the staff thought that was ok! They then brought a slightly bigger cot which could only be forced alongside the bed causing it to bulge inwards restricting the sleeping space for the child; not ideal but what could they do? We did ask if we could pay for an upgrade to bigger cabins even if they were balcony as this situation for our dream holiday really wasn’t looking good but were told the ship was full to capacity and no other cabins were available. We were going to have to make do, however……..the nightmare was only just beginning!
            My son went to use the toilet only to find it was full to the brim of dirty, evil smelling yellowish/brown fluid. We immediately reported this to the Guest services and they told us it was in hand and the plumbers were dealing with it; this was at about 1.00pm. So they vacated the cabin until it was addressed as they had a young toddler and it wasn’t pleasant. Then our daughter, who was in the next cabin along, also reported the toilet blocked – it became apparent that the problem was evident in the whole block of cabins. After an hour or so they returned to their cabins only to find the problem had worsened in that the levels in the toilet were rising and the stench was increasing. Again I reported it to Guest services and was met with an assurance that it would be cleared soon. By 4pm and nothing having been done, the raw sewage was now overflowing into the cabin. I visited Guest services yet again only to be told by one of the supervisors, Jonny, that the problem had been resolved and the blockage cleared in the last hour and all was well. I returned to the cabin to find an awful smell, sewage floating on the floor and a very distressed family with their young child. Upon returning to Guest services I asked them to move these two families to other serviceable cabins due to the health risks. I was then told again that no other cabins were available as the ship was running at full capacity. I was totally gobsmacked……….I have never heard of a ship sailing so full that they have not made for provision for emergency cabins to be available. When I questioned this I was told that in an emergency, beds would be made available in the medical centre! So, having paid premium prices for a luxury holiday, we could end up cruising in hospital beds! I asked to be directed to someone in authority but was told no-one was available, I then asked for my complaint to be logged officially and Jonny said he had but would not produce any documentation for me to see or sign. The ship was so busy with passengers embarking and milling through and the lines at Guest services so long it was difficult for us to even speak with anyone. Five, six, seven, eight o’clock and still nothing happening. Fractious babies that needed sleep, anxious parents and grandparents that were tired from traveling and just wanted to get sorted, remaining family members unable to settle into their holiday trying to help sort the children – in fact, we all lost the first day of what was supposed to be our dream holiday but no-one seemed to care. By 9pm, my normally mild mannered and quiet husband was at his wits end…….he stormed into Guest services and told them if they didn’t address this situation immediately, he would bring down the cots along with all our bedding and set up in the main Atrium to sleep for the night and tell every passing guest why he was there. This time they promised to address the situation. It took another two hours to clear the sewage and clean the cabins so my family could finally get into their cabins to unpack and get the children to bed.
            Next day I visited the Guest services again to try to sort the whole sorry situation but was met with what I can only describe as indifference. I asked to speak with an officer as they obviously couldn’t or wouldn’t do anything for me. I was told no-one was available. We tried ringing numbers shown on the onboard television information for staff but none of them were answered. Then, to add insult to injury, bottles of wine appeared with no note of apology in our cabin and that of our two childrens’ cabins. We didn’t want the wine, we wanted an apology. Despite almost daily trips to Guest services to escalate our complaint, nobody wanted to help us in any way. For the rest of our holiday, the families had to sleep in cramped conditions with the babies in their beds ( the cots just ended up being unfit for purpose) unable to enjoy any intimacy – even on Valentines night, in the idyllic Caribbean setting of their dream holiday. We also had problems with warming milk for the babies at night time; my daughter asked for a kettle in her cabin to warm bottles at night but was told you didn’t have kettles only coffee makers and she wasn’t entitled to one in an inside cabin, as they were only available for balcony cabins. It was suggested that she ring room services at night time for warm milk but she would have to pay each time as there was a nightime charge for room service! After much discussion and insistence they found her a coffee maker to use which they said was taken from another cabin ( funny that as they said the coffee makers were only available in balcony cabins and we had already been told there were no spare balcony cabins available on the ship!)
            Just let me remind you this is NCL, who we have never sailed with before and are unlikely to ever sail with again!

Finally in exasperation, I wrote to the Hotel Director in the hope of actually speaking with someone in authority, and posted it within the ship. It took 24 hours to finally get a response from the Assistant Hotel Director ( I guess the Director was busy too) Carolyn Clavijo. She was very apologetic to us and very sympathetic, saying that if she had been aware of the situation earlier in the cruise she could have done more for us but it was rather late by Friday ( we were leaving on Sunday) to move anyone. Does this intimate that other cabins were actually available to move to but the staff didn’t want to accommodate us? I did also point out to her that I had actually spent every day of the cruise trying to get someone in authority to speak with me but her staff would not escalate the complaint. She told us that all of our issues would be logged and forwarded to the head office and offered us by way of compensation a complimentary meal in a speciality restaurant, reduced shore excursion on last day and an onboard credit for each cabin ( which unfortunately caused a lot of upset within the family as I assumed and told all my family, six cabins in total, and she only meant three of them; but we had all been affected and all lost a whole day of our cruise) All in all, NCL have not handled the situation at all well and I shall never cruise with them again.
            I have cruised many times in the past with other excellent cruise companies and had some amazing holidays, which is why I wanted to share the experiences with my whole family – something for them to remember for years to come, long after we are gone. We specifically chose the NCL Epic as it was described as very child friendly…….well only if your children are a certain age it seems. The poor children weren’t allowed in the one large water play area they would have loved, as they had to be toilet trained and were not allowed in with swim nappies ( funny that, as they were allowed in the adult pools with swim nappies?) They were too young for kids clubs, too young for bunk beds, too big for cots, no facilities for bottle warming, no help with pushchairs ( staff actually turned away when they saw us coming) just generally not “child under three” friendly.
            Unfortunately, during the course of an evening out dining in one of the speciality restaurants, Moderno, I suffered a rather nasty fall due to the poorly maintained tiled floor at the entrance to the restaurant. Only another passenger came to my rescue, despite there being restaurant staff further down. Upon inspection of the tiled area, a skid mark was clearly visible where my shoe had slipped on either a greasy or highly polished surface. When I returned to my table and spoke with the other members of my group it transpired that two others had also slipped over on the same spot so I reported it to the restaurant manager. He insisted that I report to the medical centre and get checked over; in fact he had to call them out as the centre was closed. They were obviously not best pleased at being called out and made their feelings clear. I was sent away with ice packs & pain killers and told I had probably only bruised myself and nothing was broken. The following day I received a random basket of fruit in my cabin with no explanation attached and had to visit my favourite place, Guest services, to find out why. Apparently it was from the restaurant manager, however, nobody checked to see if I was ok the next day – not very considerate.
            In all of my 14 years cruising with P&O, Royal Caribbean, Cunard, Celebrity and MSC I have never received such appalling customer service as on NCL Epic. We are all given health questionaires before we board the ship to ensure no germs are brought onboard, we are encouraged to “washy, washy” our hands at every turn, using so much anti bacterial lotion that our skin starts to peel, the Captain even forbids anyone to snack from their plate queuing at the buffet in case germs are transferred from lips to serving tongs along the way but a bit of raw sewage in a cabin with a crawling baby is acceptable?
            We are heartbroken that our family dream holiday was totally ruined. The whole situation caused so much stress and upset that the whole week was tainted & a few random baskets of fruit and bottles of wine did absolutely nothing to make us feel better. We were actually glad to get off the ship & on to the airport to travel home.

Times cruised before: 10+
            Sailed: February, 2015
            Cabin: Balcony
            Occasion: Family holiday
            Lizzie sigpic

Comment

N.G. Did you make any kind of complaint to admin relating to the thread or its comments?

The reason I ask is that in years gone by their policy was.............If someone reported an 'iffy' response they (admin) made the decision to either let it stand or remove it.

But if the Plaintiff made a complaint it was removed immediately without further question.

Now I got that from the horses mouth, albeit some years ago. Their policies may be different now.

If it were me I would be asking for some kind of explanation.............Wilba
              Wilba

Comment

This is the point where Admin should now reply.
                See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Perhaps I'm just thick skinned or so used to seeing much worse content from much worse trolls elsewhere on the internet, but I largely find the comments amusingly pathetic.

As Mrs. M says, people have the right to disagree with your views and if this is the greatest eloquence with which they can express those views then... let the thumbs do the talking!

I'm very anti-censorship, so I hope to see the return of the original review as well as all comments/replies.
                  Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                    This is the point where Admin should now reply.
                    My cue to enter.

You're right! This is a totally legitimate review and should still be on the site. I have someone looking into it now and we should have the review back up on the site today.

I'm really sorry this has happened! I'll update this thread with the link as soon as it has been revived - we're just investigating why it has disappeared. This could be because of a false report filed by someone who did not appreciate the review.

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                      Perhaps I'm just thick skinned or so used to seeing much worse content from much worse trolls elsewhere on the internet, but I largely find the comments amusingly pathetic.

As Mrs. M says, people have the right to disagree with your views and if this is the greatest eloquence with which they can express those views then... let the thumbs do the talking!

I'm very anti-censorship, so I hope to see the return of the original review as well as all comments/replies.
                      In General I would agree with you Duncan ,It does say that All reviews are the personal view of the poster and are not edited.

However personal attacks do put people off posting there reviews ,the internet give the Dick heads in society the opportunity to abuse others 'with no threat of retribution.
                      Good job NG was not on a Cunard ship imagine the comments then...Taffy
                      ​Taffy

Comment

You can disagree with some-one without getting personal, I don't understand why some people are so horrible. I hope the review is back up soon minus the un-helpful comments.......................................... ...........................................Carol

Comment

Hi again everyone!

It looks like this review was pulled because of a report regarding the comments.

We're still working on getting it back up and will update you when I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleet Admiral Dave, Redditch View Post
                            Hi again everyone!

It looks like this review was pulled because of a report regarding the comments.

We're still working on getting it back up and will update you when I can.
                            Thanks for the update...Taffy
                            ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Fleet Admiral Dave, Redditch View Post
                              My cue to enter.

You're right! This is a totally legitimate review and should still be on the site. I have someone looking into it now and we should have the review back up on the site today.

I'm really sorry this has happened! I'll update this thread with the link as soon as it has been revived - we're just investigating why it has disappeared. This could be because of a false report filed by someone who did not appreciate the review.
                              Thank you Dave - let me make it clear it wasn't me that asked for it to be taken down. As said, everyone has a right to an opinion, even if there opinion has no logic attached. I think I answered their 'concerns' in an appropriate manner and will handle any further grumbles that come my way....especially as I am recupperated now from the upset and long travel and 'ready to rummble'

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X