• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huge money saving tips when crusing with princess

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge money saving tips when crusing with princess

Hello everyone well i' ve recently been on a Princess cruise in Asia which was fantastic the ship Diamond Princess was Fabulous and so were the crew.However the down sides are they ways in which they try and get you to spend money on all the extras here is some tips to help you save those precious dollars.
    1. Dont get tricked into buying water offered to you at the table in the restaurant it appears to be free as they offer you a choice of sparkling or still then before you can take a sip they presnt you with a bill for it maybe $6.00, a jug of ice water is free and just as nice and saves on all those plastic bottles being used.
    2.Take all the local currencies you need while abroad do not use the cash machines on the ship there's a $3.50 charge and the exchange rate is horrendous!!Also the ATM aboard charges $6.50 per transaction.
    3.If you dont drink alcohol buy the soda card just buy one you can always get drinks for others with it but not all at the same time so play it clever, however this is only sodas served from the gun not cans.
    4.If you go to the art Auction remember there is a 15% charge for there handling fee plus a huge shipping fee even if you win there free raffle.We won it while aboard and had a choice of a few cheap prints,we chose one but were not allowed to take it with us we had to have it shipped which was $70 what for a free small print that i could easily fit in my luggage i don't think so!!! keep it.
    5.BINGO!!!! ok this is a huge con trick every time you play bingo there is a roll over jackpot which has to be won in a certain amount of numbers say 50 if not it goes over to the next time.I can guarantee you no one will win it until the last day when the game goes as long as it takes someone to win it so save your dollars and just play it one the last day.After all its $20 ago.
    6.If you buy the internet package aboard BEWARE if you go over your bought time allowance theres no warning so you could end up with a hefty internet bill .Use it in port as the reception is much faster then when your at sea.
    7.Do your own trips if your brave enough a lot of the trips we went on were not worth the money in fact most of the time was spent getting to and fro from the citys.However do remember if you do your own thing the ship will not wait for you if you are late back, where as on a ships tour they have to wait.
    8.The Photo gallery is a huge expense $20-$25 a photo which is a ridiculous amount take your own cameras,an i-phone takes just as good a picture plus there photos are airbrushed beyond belief i thought i was in a scene from cocoon where everyone got younger.Theres an enviroment officer on board ask him whats environmently friendly about throwing away thousands of photos at the end of each cruise when they could sell them if they dropped the price!!!!!!! to a more realistic amount.

I felt that around every corner Princess were after my hard earnt money it was the big sell every where which i found uncomfortable,from the shops to the beauty salon where there was a massage table at every turn on the ship offering back and neck massages for $30 for 15mins,charges for coffee and hot chocolate, certain activities there was far too much nickle and diming for my liking.When you go on a crusie you expect it to be all inclusive with the exception of alcohol and trips.

Having said all that we did enjoy the cruise and the staff were great and the ship was very clean however the food in the horizon court really does need some attention.
    Thanks Mark.

you live and learn by your mistakes,to others if money is no object well spend at your leisure and enjoy,for others look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves

Comment

Originally posted by MWO, Blackwell View Post
      Hello everyone well i' ve recently been on a Princess cruise in Asia which was fantastic the ship Diamond Princess was Fabulous and so were the crew.However the down sides are they ways in which they try and get you to spend money on all the extras here is some tips to help you save those precious dollars.
      1. Dont get tricked into buying water offered to you at the table in the restaurant it appears to be free as they offer you a choice of sparkling or still then before you can take a sip they presnt you with a bill for it maybe $6.00, a jug of ice water is free and just as nice and saves on all those plastic bottles being used.
      2.Take all the local currencies you need while abroad do not use the cash machines on the ship there's a $3.50 charge and the exchange rate is horrendous!!Also the ATM aboard charges $6.50 per transaction.
      3.If you dont drink alcohol buy the soda card just buy one you can always get drinks for others with it but not all at the same time so play it clever, however this is only sodas served from the gun not cans.
      4.If you go to the art Auction remember there is a 15% charge for there handling fee plus a huge shipping fee even if you win there free raffle.We won it while aboard and had a choice of a few cheap prints,we chose one but were not allowed to take it with us we had to have it shipped which was $70 what for a free small print that i could easily fit in my luggage i don't think so!!! keep it.
      5.BINGO!!!! ok this is a huge con trick every time you play bingo there is a roll over jackpot which has to be won in a certain amount of numbers say 50 if not it goes over to the next time.I can guarantee you no one will win it until the last day when the game goes as long as it takes someone to win it so save your dollars and just play it one the last day.After all its $20 ago.
      6.If you buy the internet package aboard BEWARE if you go over your bought time allowance theres no warning so you could end up with a hefty internet bill .Use it in port as the reception is much faster then when your at sea.
      7.Do your own trips if your brave enough a lot of the trips we went on were not worth the money in fact most of the time was spent getting to and fro from the citys.However do remember if you do your own thing the ship will not wait for you if you are late back, where as on a ships tour they have to wait.
      8.The Photo gallery is a huge expense $20-$25 a photo which is a ridiculous amount take your own cameras,an i-phone takes just as good a picture plus there photos are airbrushed beyond belief i thought i was in a scene from cocoon where everyone got younger.Theres an enviroment officer on board ask him whats environmently friendly about throwing away thousands of photos at the end of each cruise when they could sell them if they dropped the price!!!!!!! to a more realistic amount.

I felt that around every corner Princess were after my hard earnt money it was the big sell every where which i found uncomfortable,from the shops to the beauty salon where there was a massage table at every turn on the ship offering back and neck massages for $30 for 15mins,charges for coffee and hot chocolate, certain activities there was far too much nickle and diming for my liking.When you go on a crusie you expect it to be all inclusive with the exception of alcohol and trips.

Having said all that we did enjoy the cruise and the staff were great and the ship was very clean however the food in the horizon court really does need some attention.
      Thanks Mark.
      Thanks for the tips Mark much appreciated. We are on the Ruby Princes September 11. We last sailed with Princess on the Sapphire Princess in 2007 and wondered if things had changed much.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
      X