• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beware Theft onboard Sapphire Princess

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• princess, s glos
    started a topic Beware Theft onboard Sapphire Princess

Beware Theft onboard Sapphire Princess

Recently returned from a 28nt cruise and all my jewellery items were taken from my hand luggage. The theft took place either when they were unlocked in our cabin on our last evening, or when we put them out (definitely locked) ready to be collected and put in the hold until our disembarkation, where we collected them from the dockside. From this time on we kept our cases as hand luggage so the airport cannot be blamed. I have raised my complaint with Princess who have advised they will look into it and get back to me within 28 days . Not good enough as I have been the victim of a crime either by the cabin steward or baggage handlers onboard. Although we had a great cruise it is a great shame this has happened. You put your trust in these people and now I am left utterly disappointed and disgusted by this event.
    Has anyone else been a victim of a theft?:mad:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
    I don't think any of us have missed the point and no one has attempted to condone theft.

Is there a thief on Sapphire Princess? The OP does say ' where we collected them from the dockside' so that immediately encompasses the stevadores as well: hardly all onboard the ship then.

Anyway JC, glad to see you upholding the principle of the underdog, even though plausability looks a bit thin.
    Hi Richard
    Always have done + always will do.
    BTW,have you not seen OSDs post on "Laws" thread?not like you to let that one get past.
    JC

Leave a comment:

• Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent
    replied
    Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi all
    All these replies seem,as usual,to miss the point.
    If the poster is to be believed,and theres no reason not to believe.
    The pertinent point is,,,,,
    There is a thief/thieves on Sapphire Princess.
    Surely you are not saying if bags are open/unlocked thieves have a right to help themselves.
    Dont shoot the messenger
    JC
    I don't think any of us have missed the point and no one has attempted to condone theft.

Is there a thief on Sapphire Princess? The OP does say ' where we collected them from the dockside' so that immediately encompasses the stevadores as well: hardly all onboard the ship then.

Anyway JC, glad to see you upholding the principle of the underdog, even though plausability looks a bit thin.

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Hi all
    All these replies seem,as usual,to miss the point.
    If the poster is to be believed,and theres no reason not to believe.
    The pertinent point is,,,,,
    There is a thief/thieves on Sapphire Princess.
    Surely you are not saying if bags are open/unlocked thieves have a right to help themselves.
    Dont shoot the messenger
    JC

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by ShipShape, Coventry View Post
    Of course you're right. It's a question of rights and responsibilities, but it's also true that these cut both ways.

Most of the responses scolded the OP for allowing her hand luggage out of her sight, but if in so doing she was taking advantage of a service offered by the cruise line, then she has every reason to feel aggrieved. If such a service was offered, then the cruise lines should know what sort of items people keep in hand luggage, and take appropriate steps to safeguard it.

If no such service was in place and hand luggage was treated like hold luggage, then of course your sympathy would be correctly withheld.
    Quite right, and in making my point I reiterate these types of posts should give a little more detail to support such serious accusations: instead of members dragging it out by drip feed.

Somehow though I cannot see any cruiseline offering such a service without the usual caveats.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
    Unfortunately these pages are littered with these type of posts, firing direct accusations at the cruise lines or attempting to shift blame onto cruise staff while accepting no responsibility for one's own actions.

I sometimes honestly wonder what each poster of such threads is really trying to achieve.

Show me common sense and I'll show sympathy.

Of course you're right. It's a question of rights and responsibilities, but it's also true that these cut both ways.

Most of the responses scolded the OP for allowing her hand luggage out of her sight, but if in so doing she was taking advantage of a service offered by the cruise line, then she has every reason to feel aggrieved. If such a service was offered, then the cruise lines should know what sort of items people keep in hand luggage, and take appropriate steps to safeguard it.

If no such service was in place and hand luggage was treated like hold luggage, then of course your sympathy would be correctly withheld.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by ShipShape, Coventry View Post
    The way I was reading this is that the main luggage was left out on the last night but the said hand luggage was then taken to left luggage cabin until a later disembarkation, why not in safe I do not understand.

You are quite right in 4 lines and they will be lucky to be succesful with a Insurance claim,in failing to take reasonable care of the items.

While it is always disappointing, indeed annoying, to loose items, have you not considered that you yourself were partly responsible through lack of normal care.

If it was hand luggage why was it put out to go into the hold?

but surely if your hand luggage was NOT locked in your room, but LOCKED when they were taken to left-luggage before departure, and no tampering is evident, then the loss was from the cabin.
    But be sure of your facts before making any accusations I would trust cabin stewards 99.9% of the time.

[COLOR="Cyan"]The cruise line always say keep all your valuables and medication in your hand luggage, and keep that with you at all times. How did your hand luggage manage to get put out with your suitcases? Was it put out by mistake? Never put valuables in your suitcase, as unfortunately people are not always what they seem.[/COLO

Wow - what a tough lot! Whatever mistakes the original poster made, it can't be much comfort to read the responses.

Isn't it the case that whatever system the poor people took advantage of (Leaving hand luggage in the care of the ship to be collected at dockside) it was a service offered by the ship? Are passengers not entitled to rely on such a service if it's offered?

The people may have made mistakes, but the tone of the responses seems to suggest the cruise line bear no responsibility. Do we really believe that?
    Unfortunately these pages are littered with these type of posts, firing direct accusations at the cruise lines or attempting to shift blame onto cruise staff while accepting no responsibility for one's own actions.

I sometimes honestly wonder what each poster of such threads is really trying to achieve.

Show me common sense and I'll show sympathy.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by VinnyTurner, Dukinfield View Post
    My Wife is the same. She doesn't even take her engagement ring off the ship. Sad state of affairs really.
    Oh I wear them. I just turn rings round when ashore but, as wimps [possibly savvy ] we're careful where we visit. Anywhere slightly dodgy and it's a ships tour and stick with the masses.

Leave a comment:

• Pete, Caerphilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
    Apparently house-burglars pick houses with alarms as this indicates that there is something worth steeling!
    Interesting thought.

I wonder if it would apply on my newish estate where all the houses were built with alarms as standard (over 1500 houses to choose from)

Pete

Leave a comment:

• VinnyTurner, Dukinfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
    Quite right. I do take jewellery with me, but only stuff which has no irreplaceable sentimental value.
    My Wife is the same. She doesn't even take her engagement ring off the ship. Sad state of affairs really.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by SandieA, Torbay View Post
    It may appear to be unsympathetic to the original poster but this forum also serves as a place of information to new cruisers. If I came on and read that the cruise ships were rife for theft - I may think twice.

However, we know that is not the case the majority of the time. You have responsibility for your own personal effects, ie jewellary in this case, and the majority were pointing this out - not attacking the OP.

I hope that whatever was taken did not have any significant personal value - no matter if the insurance paid out - it can never replace the sentiment attached to an item. For that reason - I do not take any pieces of jewellary that I have inherited over the years and..........when travelling in the Caribbean or the Far East.........I have been known to only take fake bling ;)
    Quite right. I do take jewellery with me, but only stuff which has no irreplaceable sentimental value.

Leave a comment:

• SandieA, Torbay
    replied
    It may appear to be unsympathetic to the original poster but this forum also serves as a place of information to new cruisers. If I came on and read that the cruise ships were rife for theft - I may think twice.

However, we know that is not the case the majority of the time. You have responsibility for your own personal effects, ie jewellary in this case, and the majority were pointing this out - not attacking the OP.

I hope that whatever was taken did not have any significant personal value - no matter if the insurance paid out - it can never replace the sentiment attached to an item. For that reason - I do not take any pieces of jewellary that I have inherited over the years and..........when travelling in the Caribbean or the Far East.........I have been known to only take fake bling ;)

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm, Essex
    replied
    Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
    The only reason I do lock mine up is to stop the zipper coming apart whilst its being chucked around. Many times I have seen bits of clothing hanging out of half opened cases swirling around the luggage carousel.
    If you have an expensive case (with better locks) someone might just steal the case, for the case!

Fabric cases can be easily cut open with a stanley-knife, locks are not a barrier.

Apparently house-burglars pick houses with alarms as this indicates that there is something worth steeling!

Leave a comment:

• spartan, kent
    replied
    Ships security will run back the tapes of the corridor and storage area(if the cameras were working)

I think the insurance company will refuse to pay out and unfortunately the cruise line will take the same view.

I cannot see why anyone would put out their hand luggage to be collected

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
    Hmmm yes, a lot of unsympathetic replies. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    ...Or replies, unfortunately, from the wearily realistic.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X