• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beware Theft onboard Sapphire Princess

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware Theft onboard Sapphire Princess

Recently returned from a 28nt cruise and all my jewellery items were taken from my hand luggage. The theft took place either when they were unlocked in our cabin on our last evening, or when we put them out (definitely locked) ready to be collected and put in the hold until our disembarkation, where we collected them from the dockside. From this time on we kept our cases as hand luggage so the airport cannot be blamed. I have raised my complaint with Princess who have advised they will look into it and get back to me within 28 days . Not good enough as I have been the victim of a crime either by the cabin steward or baggage handlers onboard. Although we had a great cruise it is a great shame this has happened. You put your trust in these people and now I am left utterly disappointed and disgusted by this event.
    Has anyone else been a victim of a theft?:mad:

The cruise line always say keep all your valuables and medication in your hand luggage, and keep that with you at all times. How did your hand luggage manage to get put out with your suitcases? Was it put out by mistake? Never put valuables in your suitcase, as unfortunately people are not always what they seem. Sorry that you have had this disappointment after having such a lovely time. I hope that you have taken out insurance to replace your things. I don't think you will get them back now.
    EDNA

Comment

Sorry about your loss,

but surely if your hand luggage was NOT locked in your room, but LOCKED when they were taken to left-luggage before departure, and no tampering is evident, then the loss was from the cabin.
      But be sure of your facts before making any accusations I would trust cabin stewards 99.9% of the time.
      Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

A lesson to be learned.

If it was hand luggage why was it put out to go into the hold?

Quite simply always leave valuables in your cabin safe until the very last minute, then transfer to your hand luggage which should be then kept with you at all times.

Comment

hand luggage?

Originally posted by princess, s glos View Post
          Recently returned from a 28nt cruise and all my jewellery items were taken from my hand luggage. The theft took place either when they were unlocked in our cabin on our last evening, or when we put them out (definitely locked) ready to be collected and put in the hold until our disembarkation, where we collected them from the dockside. From this time on we kept our cases as hand luggage so the airport cannot be blamed. I have raised my complaint with Princess who have advised they will look into it and get back to me within 28 days . Not good enough as I have been the victim of a crime either by the cabin steward or baggage handlers onboard. Although we had a great cruise it is a great shame this has happened. You put your trust in these people and now I am left utterly disappointed and disgusted by this event.
          Has anyone else been a victim of a theft?:mad:

I'm confused by your understanding and terminology of 'hand luggage'.

I would not have thought that, by any 'stretch of the imagination' hand luggage would be left outside a cabin to be disembarked out of the owners sight.

While it is always disappointing, indeed annoying, to loose items, have you not considered that you yourself were partly responsible through lack of normal care.

Incidentally, I would not dream of removing my valuables from the safe until the last possible moment of stateroom vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
            A lesson to be learned.

Quite simply always leave valuables in your cabin safe until the very last minute, then transfer to your hand luggage which should be then kept with you at all times.

You are quite right in 4 lines and they will be lucky to be succesful with a Insurance claim,in failing to take reasonable care of the items.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss, but most on suitcases the locks are worth 50p and offer ZERO protection. I never lock my case, what's the point? (Locking also advertizes that their is something Worth taking).

Valuables should only live in the ships safe or in your hand luggage, on your person.

Personally I never travel with anything of high value anyway. If you wear a Rolex in some part of the world (and many cities) they might just kill you for it!

Originally posted by princess, s glos View Post
              You put your trust in these people and now I am left utterly disappointed and disgusted by this event.
              Unfortunately, you have to DISTRUST everyone! All ships are full of crew on minimum wages.
              Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 4th December 2010, 12:00 PM.
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                Sorry to hear of your loss, but most on suitcases the locks are worth 50p and offer ZERO protection. I never lock my case, what's the point? (Locking also advertizes that their is something Worth taking).

Valuables should only live in the ships safe or in your hand luggage, on your person.

Personally I never travel with anything of high value anyway.
                I quite agree, most of the locks on suitcases are no better than those that come out of christmas crackers. I have accumulated over the years a nice little bunch of suitcase keys, all of which will unlock any padlock whichever key I put into it, failing that a hairgrip or a paperclip always does the trick.

The only reason I do lock mine up is to stop the zipper coming apart whilst its being chucked around. Many times I have seen bits of clothing hanging out of half opened cases swirling around the luggage carousel.

Comment

The way I was reading this is that the main luggage was left out on the last night but the said hand luggage was then taken to left luggage cabin until a later disembarkation, why not in safe I do not understand.
                  Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

With P & O anyway...........you are given labels that seal the padlock case lock before you place them outside your cabin for collection. Nobody - not even you yourself - can get into that case lock without cutting the label away - something that took me ages once we got home.

Valuables that you carry in hand luggage - left in the cabin safe until the last minute.
                    We did lock and leave hand luggage in the theatre due to a delay in disembarkation but, once again, this was signed in and signed out again when it was time to go. However, passports, wallets etc taken with us and stayed with us the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post

Personally I never travel with anything of high value anyway.
                      Excellent advice as usual.

Insurance companies demand valuables [monetary] should be kept in a safe/safe deposit box or on your person at all times. In our case that goes for documentation too.

Comment

The way I was reading this is that the main luggage was left out on the last night but the said hand luggage was then taken to left luggage cabin until a later disembarkation, why not in safe I do not understand.

You are quite right in 4 lines and they will be lucky to be succesful with a Insurance claim,in failing to take reasonable care of the items.

While it is always disappointing, indeed annoying, to loose items, have you not considered that you yourself were partly responsible through lack of normal care.

but surely if your hand luggage was NOT locked in your room, but LOCKED when they were taken to left-luggage before departure, and no tampering is evident, then the loss was from the cabin.
                        But be sure of your facts before making any accusations I would trust cabin stewards 99.9% of the time.

[COLOR="Cyan"]The cruise line always say keep all your valuables and medication in your hand luggage, and keep that with you at all times. How did your hand luggage manage to get put out with your suitcases? Was it put out by mistake? Never put valuables in your suitcase, as unfortunately people are not always what they seem.[/COLO

Wow - what a tough lot! Whatever mistakes the original poster made, it can't be much comfort to read the responses.

Isn't it the case that whatever system the poor people took advantage of (Leaving hand luggage in the care of the ship to be collected at dockside) it was a service offered by the ship? Are passengers not entitled to rely on such a service if it's offered?

The people may have made mistakes, but the tone of the responses seems to suggest the cruise line bear no responsibility. Do we really believe that?

Comment

Originally posted by ShipShape, Coventry View Post
                          Wow - what a tough lot! Whatever mistakes the original poster made, it can't be much comfort to read the responses.

The people may have made mistakes, but the tone of the responses seems to suggest the cruise line bear no responsibility. Do we really believe that?
                          Hmmm yes, a lot of unsympathetic replies. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                            Hmmm yes, a lot of unsympathetic replies. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
                            ...Or replies, unfortunately, from the wearily realistic.

Comment

Ships security will run back the tapes of the corridor and storage area(if the cameras were working)

I think the insurance company will refuse to pay out and unfortunately the cruise line will take the same view.

I cannot see why anyone would put out their hand luggage to be collected

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X