• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delayed Iona's Adventures continue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delayed Iona's Adventures continue

Hi All

I think John R is sailing on this cruise??

After the delayed departure, I understand high winds prevented the ship docking in Alicante. Gibraltar may have also been skipped for same reason.

Iona was diverted to Palma where at least 2 Covid passengers have been offloaded and quarantined. Most of their luggage will remain on board to be collected at SOTON.

Annie

Doesn't exactly make you wish you were on board does it?

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
      Doesn't exactly make you wish you were on board does it?
      The Med in the winter is not warm enough for me - I know I am getting old!

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
        Hi All

I think John R is sailing on this cruise??

After the delayed departure, I understand high winds prevented the ship docking in Alicante. Gibraltar may have also been skipped for same reason.

Iona was diverted to Palma where at least 2 Covid passengers have been offloaded and quarantined. Most of their luggage will remain on board to be collected at SOTON.

Annie
        I understand yes it is in Mallorca instead of Alicante, the two covid passengers were originally meant to be offloaded in Alicante, they posted on Facebook from their cabin..

we are the couple in isolation at the moment and are being removed tomorrow and left in Alicante. As stated the crew and medical staff have been fantastic but sadly we still somehow picked it up. We are tested regularly at home via PCR tests 2-3 times a week due to being careers abs key workers ourselves but had no symptoms at all when we boarded. We also passed the LFT however it appears the LFT’s are not accurate so are I guess a waste of time. Yes I agree people do have coughs etc however the cough my partner has abs which I am now starting to get is a barking, chesty cough and sadly we can tell the difference in that and other coughs. We have been honest and went for help/advise and posted on the fb sites to advise others but not to cause any alarm. We hope those who are showing similar symptoms would do the honest thing aswell and go to medical for advise to protect the wonderful staff and other passengers on board. It is heartbreaking and a big financial concern to us and we would never had put ourselves or others in this position has we known we had it previously.
        Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 3rd December 2021, 04:22 PM.
        Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

I understand yes it is in Mallorca instead of Alicante, the two covid passengers were originally meant to be offloaded in Alicante, they posted on Facebook from their cabin..

we are the couple in isolation at the moment and are being removed tomorrow and left in Alicante. As stated the crew and medical staff have been fantastic but sadly we still somehow picked it up. We are tested regularly at home via PCR tests 2-3 times a week due to being careers abs key workers ourselves but had no symptoms at all when we boarded. We also passed the LFT however it appears the LFT’s are not accurate so are I guess a waste of time. Yes I agree people do have coughs etc however the cough my partner has abs which I am now starting to get is a barking, chesty cough and sadly we can tell the difference in that and other coughs. We have been honest and went for help/advise and posted on the fb sites to advise others but not to cause any alarm. We hope those who are showing similar symptoms would do the honest thing aswell and go to medical for advise to protect the wonderful staff and other passengers on board. It is heartbreaking and a big financial concern to us and we would never had put ourselves or others in this position has we known we had it previously.
          Ships need to stop using LFT testing and start using PCR testing. This would save people unknowingly take covid onboard and put others health and enjoyment in jeopardy.
          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

What capacity is the ship operating.

Comment

Booking a holiday in the next few months seems fraught with ifs, buts and maybes to me. A negative view I know, but I'd rather wait to see what happens and not be turned away at the port or worse, put ashore somewhere. Having said that, I have booked a few days in Rotterdam in May, not a cruise, Eurostar, and shall wait and see.

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post
                Booking a holiday in the next few months seems fraught with ifs, buts and maybes to me. A negative view I know, but I'd rather wait to see what happens and not be turned away at the port or worse, put ashore somewhere. Having said that, I have booked a few days in Rotterdam in May, not a cruise, Eurostar, and shall wait and see.

Barb
                I don't think this is a negative view at all, just pragmatic in current circumstances. I don't blame any government for changing the rules as things develop, so any booking is going to be on the basis that you may or may not be allowed to travel, may or may not be subject to changes etc. Personally, when I buy something it is on the basis that I will definitely receive the product in question, exactly as ordered. Would anyone order a carpet, for example, on the basis that it might not come at all, or might be a different colour or quality to that which was ordered?

Comment

Sad for the couple concerned.

Comment

I am willing to take a chance on being in the Carribean in February aboard Aurora. Can't stand another cold winter here!

Comment

It's about risk mitigation, the precruise requirements weed out asymptomatic, anyone with symptoms should not be getting on the ship.

LFT do a good enough job.

On board protocols should be avoiding close contacts at least as good as you can exercise on land where most will have not had any test.

As soon as you let people off you have reset to noone tested till the next on cruise test.

My current cruise the crew get regula PCR and have very restricted shore access easy to maintain social distancing mask wearing is very compliant most of the time.

Case rates on ships are still very low although that could change.
                      ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                        It's about risk mitigation, the precruise requirements weed out asymptomatic, anyone with symptoms should not be getting on the ship.

LFT do a good enough job.

On board protocols should be avoiding close contacts at least as good as you can exercise on land where most will have not had any test.

As soon as you let people off you have reset to noone tested till the next on cruise test.

My current cruise the crew get regula PCR and have very restricted shore access easy to maintain social distancing mask wearing is very compliant most of the time.

Case rates on ships are still very low although that could change.
                        ​​​​
                        Let us hope it stays that way as another event like the Diamond Princess last year could send the cruise industry into another tail spin. And nobody wants that.

I suppose many of us have cruises booked for next year hoping that things will normalise in the meantime.

Fingers crossed. 🤞🏻

Comment

Another port missed, this was posted on Facebook.

‘Captain has announced Valencia is off tomorrow. We're staying in Barcelona for another night.

Weather is too poor to dock in Valencia apparently.’

The couple who were put off the ship due to covid posted this on Facebook.

‘Just so you all know apparently now we are off the ship the time we were on isolation on Iona doesn’t count. The 10 nights start from when we set foot on Spanish land. Therefore as long as we are both well enough we will be able to fly home on Monday 13th December’ 🤞
                          Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 4th December 2021, 06:50 PM.
                          Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                            Another port missed, this was posted on Facebook.

‘Captain has announced Valencia is off tomorrow. We're staying in Barcelona for another night.

Weather is too poor to dock in Valencia apparently.’
                            Hi Del
                            Mmmm!! I wonder…
                            Weather forecast for Valencia tomorrow is wall to wall sunshine,,,15deg with a gentle breeze.

JC
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post

Hi Del
                              Mmmm!! I wonder…
                              Weather forecast for Valencia tomorrow is wall to wall sunshine,,,15deg with a gentle breeze.

JC
                              Hi JC

This question was asked on Facebook.

‘So with late departure (24 hours) and now THREE ports missed Iona’s latest cruise plus missed port on previous cruise do p&o need to reconsider if the physical size of the ship she should only sail in calmer waters during the winter months Caribbean for example?

Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X