• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid on Ventura

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid on Ventura

Hi All

The case numbers in the UK are declining however I picked this up:

OUTBREAKS ON CRUISES AFFECT STOPS AND DROP PASSENGERS IN FUNCHAL - Madeira Island News Blog

It is reported that 12 passengers were ofloaded in Las Palmas.

Annie

P&O like to pack them into t heir ships been at 70%.

1/2 capacity is around 1500, 12 that's about 800/100k

probably with close to 100% testing

UK sits at around 400/100k

with test coverage(~1m/67m) under 2%

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
      Hi All

The case numbers in the UK are declining however I picked this up:

OUTBREAKS ON CRUISES AFFECT STOPS AND DROP PASSENGERS IN FUNCHAL - Madeira Island News Blog

It is reported that 12 passengers were ofloaded in Las Palmas.

Annie
      Hi Annie
      Going by your post headline you give the impression that 12 passengers were offloaded in Funchal,,,,,Ventura never docked in Funchal.

Another ship docked in Funchal but someone on board said everyone that was counted pre docking was the same as the count on leaving.

JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
      "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
        Hi Annie
        Going by your post headline you give the impression that 12 passengers were offloaded in Funchal,,,,,Ventura never docked in Funchal.

Another ship docked in Funchal but someone on board said everyone that was counted pre docking was the same as the count on leaving.

JC
        Hi JC

My understanding is that the Madeira stop was cancelled because of the positive tests in Las Palmas. Smart move as the ship or some passengers may have been quarantined?? Insurance ramifications.

The rumour mill states that another ship which skioped Madeira was a FO ship with allegedly 35 cases. FO has history with covid cases in Madeira.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
          P&O like to pack them into t heir ships been at 70%.

1/2 capacity is around 1500, 12 that's about 800/100k

probably with close to 100% testing

UK sits at around 400/100k

with test coverage(~1m/67m) under 2%
          I think I have said it before, whatever occupancy P&O are running their ships at will be strictly in line with UK government rules and regulations, Carnival UK and Carnival Corp and the cruise lines association's current rules and regulations. Not a single employee would dare break them and potentially put "cruising" back into deep trouble, particularly as occupancy rates seem to be in the public domain.

The first few minutes of Don's Family Vacations, Cruise News - Covid on my Cruise at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuP52DxZnrE is perhaps of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

I think I have said it before, whatever occupancy P&O are running their ships at will be strictly in line with UK government rules and regulations, Carnival UK and Carnival Corp and the cruise lines association's current rules and regulations. Not a single employee would dare break them and potentially put "cruising" back into deep trouble, particularly as occupancy rates seem to be in the public domain.

The first few minutes of Don's Family Vacations, Cruise News - Covid on my Cruise at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuP52DxZnrE is perhaps of interest.
            Of course they will follow the rules, some lines just take more cautious approach than the greedy ones that pack their ships.

Comment

Of course they will follow the rules, some lines just take more cautious approach than the greedy ones that pack their ships.
              Hi TD
              I can’t imagine any cruise line considering the need for finance voluntarily selling less than Govnt recommended numbers.
              Maybe others are just not selling,,,I believe Marella sailed a while ago with 300 passengers,I dont think for one minute that was Marella’s decision.

JC

Comment

Hi all
                From elsewhere…….

Posted 48 minutes ago
                I am currently on Ventura N123.
                There has been a lot of incorrect speculation on this thread, so here are the facts…

we were in Lanzarote two passengers were identified as needing medical assistance onshore. The illness wasn’t specified by the captain (but I suspect it was Covid)

As there are no suitable hospital facilities on Lanzarote the Spanish authorities instructed the captain to sail south to Gran Canaria to disembark the passengers. This was done with a quick stop and go around midnight the same day.

Due to the extra time taken to do this there was insufficient time to make Madeira as scheduled, therefore it was cancelled and we are now heading direct to Vigo (due to arrive around 9am tomorrow)

We have been sailing at normal speeds throughout, currently 17 knots.

I am one of those onboard who is bitterly disappointed at not reaching Madeira as that was the main reason for me booking this particular cruise, but the captain had no other option.

As far as I am aware there are no further cases onboard, and the protocols onboard have been excellent and it has been a superb trip so far.
                JC

Comment

Hi TD
                  I can’t imagine any cruise line considering the need for finance voluntarily selling less than Govnt recommended numbers.
                  Maybe others are just not selling,,,I believe Marella sailed a while ago with 300 passengers,I dont think for one minute that was Marella’s decision.

JC
                  P&O were quick to drop their prices to the historic sell off price of £50pppd when capacity increases were allowed.
                  ​​​​

Comment

P&O were quick to drop their prices to the historic sell off price of £50pppd when capacity increases were allowed.
                    ​​​​
                    Hi TD
                    You have been giving us Marella not much more than that price including All Inclusive and flights for the last few weeks.
                    And they are still sailing with half the load of P&O ships.
                    They are not selling.

JC

Comment

Hi TD
                      You have been giving us Marella not much more than that price including All Inclusive and flights for the last few weeks.
                      And they are still sailing with half the load of P&O ships.
                      They are not selling.

JC
                      those are the select few, and E2 that got relocated to the med and just gone under £70pppn,

Most have been stubbornly staying over £80pppn some are still over £100.
                      Be interesting what the Xmas + NY capacity is on the canaries ones as they have been taken off the website

Comment

Hi TD

JC
                        Hi JC,
                        It is not very often that we agree but I am in agreement with you on this one.

My thoughts are that cruise lines are not philanthropic institutions and after a disastrous 1 1/2 years will surely be aiming to maximise income not to give just a few passengers a warm feeling. Those sailing with many less than the permitted numbers are either not selling or cannot meet the isolation/health/cleanliness protocols for a fuller ship

Comment

PS JC,
                          I guess your Ventura cruise has 6 or more sea days. Do you know if they running the choir and the watercolour classes.

We are on Iona in a couple of weeks and my wife sings in the choir and I do the watercolour class.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                            PS JC,
                            I guess your Ventura cruise has 6 or more sea days. Do you know if they running the choir and the watercolour classes.

We are on Iona in a couple of weeks and my wife sings in the choir and I do the watercolour class.
                            Hi John
                            From memory I saw something about a choir but nothing about a watercolour class.

I used to bring the daily planners home but stopped years ago,,,every draw in the house was full of them.

JC

Comment

Hi John
                              From memory I saw something about a choir but nothing about a watercolour class.

I used to bring the daily planners home but stopped years ago,,,every draw in the house was full of them.

JC
                              Hi JC,
                              Thanks for a very prompt response, much quicker than anything from P&O.

Now put your iPad away and get stuck into today's activities on your cruise.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X