• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compare and contrast...............

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compare and contrast...............

Received two brochures this week - both for round the world.

Just cannot imagine being on a cruise for that length of time.

But..........

If I could contemplate such a cruise I know which one I would prefer..............

And if I could afford them..................

Viking Neptune - Depart 22nd Dec.2023. 138 days. Wait for it..............from £42,040 per person.

F.Olsen Borealis - Depart 7th Jan. 2024. 101 nights. Drum roll.............from £11,499 per person.

For the avoidance of doubt Viking every time - now where is that lottery ticket....

Oh, hang on - I said I wouldn't go.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

The longest cruise I've ever done was 77 nights, which was with Fred. I loved it so much that I did another the following year.

I am seriously considering the Borealis in Jan 2024 but not the whole itinerary. I'm waiting for the sectors to go on sale, which won't be for a while yet.
    Jill

Comment

A world cruise/long trip was something we definitely had as a possibility once retired. Now the time-span is available, the reality is, we don't have the time or, more important, the inclination to spend that amount of time away from family and friends.
      A few world segments with some hotel nights is the max we have managed in one go and will do again. A full worldie? The only way I'd manage is if we flew home for a bit and then rejoined the ship after a few weeks at home. Even then, I'm not sure it appeals.

Comment

Still not done my RTW the long way using multiple ships and land stays to get more from trip.
        The Pacific crossing has been the tough link.

Most of the single ship options are too rushed at around 3-4 months as ~60 days are needed to get round.

Oceania have a few 200+

Be interesting if their early 2022 go ahead seems they are still on most others have pulled them.

Oceania RTW thread one of the longer ones...

https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/forum...56-oceania-rtw

Comment

7 to 10 nights is my absolute max these days, albeit my last cruise in 2020 was a 14 nighter, my longest cruise in the past few decades.

By the end of two weeks I am going stir crazy, had my fill of cruise food and bored with the boat by then.

My preference these days are a 7 night cruise with pre and post land stays added on. The thought of 70, 80, 90, 100 plus nights on a cruise ship horrifies me………..Wilba

Wilba

Comment

23 nights was the longest we have done, and I was more than ready for home by then. I missed my family, my friends, and even my home.

A Worldie seems the ultimate but it's not for me (even if I could afford it) ...............................................Car ol

Comment

32 days was my longest longest, and that was just enough. Wouldn't fancy a RTW - too long away from home, and difficulty getting adequate insurance and sufficient meds. - but on reading the various itineraries, I have done most of them in sections.

Comment

17 nights was the longest cruise we have done and we were more than ready for home at the end, even although it was port intensified.

Nowadays 7 nights is the longest we go away Land or Sea and we struggle to work up any enthusiasm for those. We.have had a 7 night cruise cancelled twice due to covid and for us it’s been a
                it is what it is attitude.

We are due to go on a 7 night Land Holiday in September, if it was not for our daughter doing the driving doubt if we would have bothered. .Perfectly happy to chill out at our local seafront 5 minute drive away..
                Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I suppose it’s the ‘romance’ of doing such a cruise that may appeal to some / many.

And if you told someone that you were going on a World Cruise, their response would likely be “how wonderful”,

But privately they may be thinking.....I wouldn’t do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                    Still not done my RTW the long way using multiple ships and land stays to get more from trip.
                    Yes, that would be a great way to do it Topdeck, lots of variety - the spice of life.
                    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

[QUOTE=Mrs M;n1442810]A world cruise/long trip was something we definitely had as a possibility once retired. Now the time-span is available, the reality is, we don't have the time or, more important, the inclination to spend that amount of time away from family and friends.

Ditto for us. It was a thought for our retirement but never got beyond that and the long Covid enforced absences from our family, especially the grandchildren we waited so long for, have killed off the notion for good. Fourteen days is plenty for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                        The Pacific crossing has been the tough link.

Most of the single ship options are too rushed at around 3-4 months as ~60 days are needed to get round.
                        We have sailed around the world one cruise at a time, with stays before and after each. It has taken us twenty years from our first Australia to New Zealand trip to the most recent Vancouver to Tokyo which completed the circuit. I would still like to do the South Pacific section though. For me, a world cruise would be overload, with too many ports in too little time as well as too long away from friends and family.

Sheila

Comment

Not for me. There is too much I enjoy about being at home and doing the things I want to do. 14 nights is my maximum, 10-12 is ideal. There is only so much sight seeing I can tolerate, plus, I'd be like the side of a house after a worldie.

Comment

For us anything less than 12 or 14 days is a no-no. We have to fly regardless of where we plan to start including Southampton so a week really isn't on given the amount of hassle. However, any longer than fourteen days would not be an option given personal commitments so we will stick with that when the notion takes us again!

Comment

We always do xmas/ ny with fred, ( think it used to be 21 nights and now its getting less every year ) we did the arctic for 16 nights and it was fabulous, would have done it again straight away......... My absolute ideal now would be, sail to New Zealand, stay in that part of the world for a min. 6 months then get a boat back when its on its re-run....................

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X