• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise lines testing the waters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Down, Southampton
    started a topic Cruise lines testing the waters

Cruise lines testing the waters

It would appear that one or two cruise lines are ready to dip their bows into the briny and cautiously head out to sea with a relatively small band of tenacious passengers on board. I have no real wish to be a guinea pig at this moment. Not because I would worry about it nor because I do not want to be cruising without ports of call but mainly because I want to see how others manage for a change. Plus I am getting to that stage of being past my sail by date.

I live in a beautiful spot overlooking the needles and regularly walk the cliff tops with my binoculars at hand. All of this past year plus some we have watched the sad sight of up to eight passenger empty cruise liners sheltering from the prevailing seas and winds, tucked into the cliffs or hiding behind a large island/peninsular. They have conjured up wonderful memories, 77 cruises to date and many ships visits here and overseas; thanks cruisedot; but somehow the urge is not to take a trip up the gangway yet.

So am I alone with this cautious approach or are you all busting a gut to get back out there hoping against hope the airline hasn't lost your luggage again (or not), paying (or not) tips, queueing (or not) for food, sneaking that odd bottle, (or not) aboard? Or are you just busting a gut to be there whatever the consequences?

It takes all sorts dunnit......Neil

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi Issy
    As a habitual reader of food labels and also a Carb counter you are right about natural sugars,,,that’s where the ‘no added sugars’ confuse people…..they add Fructose to make the product sweet,,,Fructose is not far off sugar.
    Most fruits are full of sugar.
    I can look at a jar of jam suitable for Diabetics and yet see Carb content between 30/50g per 100g of product.
    I look for Carb content of around 10/20g per 100g of product.

JC
    JC you and my hubby would have a great time together to see who can talk about sugar and cards in food the most. 🍰🍰🙈😂😂😂 If I hear him saying ‘do you know how many sugars there is in that?’ I’m going to scream. 🙄😂😂😂😂

Leave a comment:

• Neil Down, Southampton
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    Current lunchtime menu in the Golden Lion on Cunard

Lunch Beer Battered Atlantic Cod Chips, Minted Mushy Peas and Tartare Sauce Steak,

Guinness and Mushroom Suet Pudding Parsley Fingerling Potatoes, Roasted Chantenay Carrots and Garden Peas

Oven-roasted Cumberland Sausage Bubble and Squeak, Mashed Potatoes and Rich Onion Gravy

Chicken Tikka Masala Saffron and Cardamom Basmati Rice, Onion Bhaji and Naan Bread

Cottage Pie Topped with Double Gloucester Cheese, Mashed Potatoes and a Herb Crumb with Seasonal Vegetables

The Golden Lion Ploughman’s York Gammon Ham, Mature Cheddar Cheese, Duck Mousse with Madeira, Pickled Onions, Vegetable Cruditiés, Branston Pickle and Artisan Bread

Portobello Wellington (v) Grilled Portobello Mushrooms Layered with Creamy Spinach, Sweet Potato Slices and Danish Blue Cheese, Baked in Flaky Puff Pastry with Balsamic Glazed Shallots

Sounds alright to me...

Garf
    Remember that the presentation need not even reflect the description ......Need I say more?

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

Scon but you need to say it with a Glasgow accent to understand how I pronounce it. 😂

neither jam nor cream. 🤢🤮

btw JC you can buy no added sugar jams and marmalade from the big supermarkets. they only have the natural sugar from the fruit and they taste nice.
    Hi Issy
    As a habitual reader of food labels and also a Carb counter you are right about natural sugars,,,that’s where the ‘no added sugars’ confuse people…..they add Fructose to make the product sweet,,,Fructose is not far off sugar.
    Most fruits are full of sugar.
    I can look at a jar of jam suitable for Diabetics and yet see Carb content between 30/50g per 100g of product.
    I look for Carb content of around 10/20g per 100g of product.

JC

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

In the Lido if you just want to sneak a piece to take back to the cabin without sitting down to Afternoon Tea.
    Oh goody. I’m so glad I’ve booked a balcony as no one will see how much carrot cake I’ll be eating as after all it’s has carrots so part on my 5 a day. 😂😂😂

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied

Oooo now where do they serve the carrot cake? 🤔😀🍰 . I don’t know if I’m more excited about my cruise to the sun or the yummy carrot cake.
    In the Lido if you just want to sneak a piece to take back to the cabin without sitting down to Afternoon Tea.

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied

Oh my. Carrot cake. Cunard does very tasty carrot cake.

OK
    the very occasional square of carrot cake might just pass my lips too.

However, all mitigated by the fact the only pudding I ever have is the very occasional Crepe Suzette.
    Oooo now where do they serve the carrot cake? 🤔😀🍰 . I don’t know if I’m more excited about my cruise to the sun or the yummy carrot cake.

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    Hi Issy
    Heres one to start WW3

Is it pronounced Scone or Scon?
    Cream on top of Jam or Jam on top of Cream?

I’m Scon and Jam first with Cream on top……..not that I ever eat Scones and Jam is full of White Death.

JC

Scon but you need to say it with a Glasgow accent to understand how I pronounce it. 😂

neither jam nor cream. 🤢🤮

btw JC you can buy no added sugar jams and marmalade from the big supermarkets. they only have the natural sugar from the fruit and they taste nice.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post

Not even a nice dollop of Cornish Clotted Cream?

PS There’s a rather grand building in Scotland called Scone Palace.....how is that pronounced?
    We passed it once en route north to Braemar.
    No - wasted on me

Scone Palace - Skoon

Annie

Leave a comment:

• All at sea, Yorks
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Hi JC

SCON of course

Now what type of Scone are we discussing?? Fruit, Treacle, Cheese etc

For myself, NEVER cream on a Scone.

Anniee
    Not even a nice dollop of Cornish Clotted Cream?

PS There’s a rather grand building in Scotland called Scone Palace.....how is that pronounced?
    We passed it once en route north to Braemar.
    Last edited by All at sea, Yorks; 24th May 2021, 07:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Hi Issy
    Heres one to start WW3

I’m Scon and Jam first with Cream on top……..not that I ever eat Scones and Jam is full of White Death.

JC
    Hi JC

SCON of course as Gone

Now what type of Scone are we discussing?? Fruit, Treacle, Cheese etc

For myself, NEVER cream on a Scone.

Anniee
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 24th May 2021, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied

We go to afternoon tea instead of lunch occasionally just to see the waiters faces when I ask for iced water instead of tea as I don’t like tea. Oh I also go for the cakes as I live in hope that there will be macaroons or meringue or carrot cake. I only like scones hot with butter so I don’t usually bother with them. As for cucumber sandwich 🤢🤮🤮🤮 but hubby loves cucumber.
    Hi Issy
    Heres one to start WW3

JC

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied

We go to afternoon tea instead of lunch occasionally just to see the waiters faces when I ask for iced water instead of tea as I don’t like tea. Oh I also go for the cakes as I live in hope that there will be macaroons or meringue or carrot cake. I only like scones hot with butter so I don’t usually bother with them. As for cucumber sandwich 🤢🤮🤮🤮 but hubby loves cucumber.
    Oh my. Carrot cake. Cunard does very tasty carrot cake.

OK
    the very occasional square of carrot cake might just pass my lips too.

However, all mitigated by the fact the only pudding I ever have is the very occasional Crepe Suzette.

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied

and dinner?

We go for afternoon tea occasionally but usually just for a cup of tea. The odd delicate cucumber finger sandwich might pass my lips and maybe an unbuttered scone, but that's it. Light breakfast, light lunch and then dinner. Can't cope with more than that. Well I can but don't want to cope with the dieting once home!

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied

Personally I wouldn’t eat in the buffet in the evening but hubby would, I will eat there for breakfast or lunch be never in the evening. I cruise to be pampered and to be served my food. However it’s great that cruise ships accommodate everyone who cruises with them.
    I rarely have breakfast in the buffet - too noisy. Over 90% time, room service breakfast

Dinner service in the MDR IME is too long, too noisy and too many courses. 1 or maybe 2 courses and I am done.

Just as well we are all different.

Annie

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X