• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise lines testing the waters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm very happy to be sailing next week. My physical health has improved over this last year, but spending so much time alone indoors has worn me down. However, the short cruises wouldn't have been attractive if they hadn't been a short train ride away.
    2018-
    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

If I could cruise tomorrow, I would go and pack now!

Comment

I hadn't intended to book a cruise until next year even though we missed our postponed golden wedding cruise to Norway last year. I lived beside the sea for my first 25 years and didn't really go to the beach for the last few. My husband also lived beside the sea until we got married but he hates the beach & never wants to go there. A few years ago we were on a cruise & in Antigua I had to drag him off the ship & we ended up beside a beautiful beach, I did go for a paddle but I couldn't get him out of the cafe.

I thought this year we'd go up to Northumberland or Scotland and book a cottage or B&B for a few days. Well I was shocked to see it's cheaper to book a 6 day cruise with a balcony cabin to Scotland from Newcastle than rent a cottage or pay for a hotel for a week. Even Premier Inn at Berwick was £100 a night & didn't even include breakfast!

I like to get off the ship but I always have to drag my husband off wherever we are. He says he's not bothered whether he gets off the ship, he just likes being on a ship!

So we're trying Marella's Explorer 2 which is an ex Celebrity ship & it's the ship we were booked on to do the Land of the Midnight Sun last year. Not huge and there won't be as many people onboard as no inside cabins are being sold. That suits me as I'm not keen on crowds. The advantage for us is it's from Newcastle so no long drives or flights to anywhere, just 25 minutes drive up the road! We've both had our injections & testing will be done by Tui before we board so it will probably be safer than going to a pub or cafe at home.

Comment

We would love to go on a cruise but will probably hold off till next year. At least once I retire we will be able to take advantage of any deals on offer without having to consider holiday dates of other colleagues. This summer is definitely going to be the Costa Del Altrincham for us. Now we just need the weather.

Take care and stay well. Helen

Comment

I am going on saga in June sailing from Tilbury was too tempting

Comment

Originally posted by haggis, kent View Post
              I am going on saga in June sailing from Tilbury was too tempting
              There's something I thought I'd never see...Saga and too tempting mentioned in the same sentence

Regards

Garf

Comment

Masks are now a part of general life so it really doesn't bother me .Booked on Virtuosa from Liverpool in June and NCL Dawn from Venice in October. Bring it on!
                I will not be eating cottage pie. Other meals are available...
                Msc are trying to cater for Uk tastes. I hear of kettles in the room accompanied by Yorkshire tea teabags .Definitely a step up from Lipton.
                Last edited by philhar, wallasey; 22nd May 2021, 07:15 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

We are ready but stupid prices don't attract us.

Thought we would be gagging it's 17 months, longest gap ever, but just a mild itch to look for something.

started some price watching.

Would even consider ex Greenock and do a summer Glasgow extension.

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                    Masks are now a part of general life so it really doesn't bother me .Booked on Virtuosa from Liverpool in June and NCL Dawn from Venice in October. Bring it on!
                    I will not be eating cottage pie. Other meals are available...
                    They certainly are but after many weeks of fancy foods, on a cold Bay of Biscay day, comfort food is a real comfort.

I loved the dinner on one formal evening when a table companion who was on the world cruise requested hot dog, fried onions and fries for dinner.The smell was divine!!
                    Last edited by Mrs M; 22nd May 2021, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

They certainly are but after many weeks of fancy foods, on a cold Bay of Biscay day, comfort food is a real comfort.

I loved the dinner on one formal evening when a table companion who was on the world cruise requested hot dog, fried onions and fries for dinner. The smell was divine!!
                      I completely understand and I would at least consider such options for lunch but not dinner.
                      It's along time since I sampled Cunard but my late father loved testing the "you can order anything, sir" routine. Twice we had Salzburg Knockerl for dessert. Amazing!

Comment

Not this year. Like everyone else I have been inundated with Seacation emails but I'm not the slightest bit interested. A couple of weeks ago I had a hospital appointment where I had to wear a mask continuously for six hours. Yesterday we took our grandchildren to Adam Henson's farm park not far from here and it was masks on and off and social distancing all the time. Do I want that malarkey on my cruise? Certainly not. I have a Norway/North Cape cruise booked for August next year by which time I hope all or most restrictions will have gone. I can cancel that one and lose only £100 deposit if necessary. I'm also looking at a South Africa cruise/stay for early 2023 but I'll hold off booking that until things are clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

I loved the dinner on one formal evening when a table companion who was on the world cruise requested hot dog, fried onions and fries for dinner.The smell was divine!!
                          I can well understand. We loved everything about a 120 night World Cruise on QM2. Dining room and Club food and company was good but you dont want the menu and formality every night for that length of time. As well as the self service Kings Court buffet one area there was an evening pizzeria, small tables, red tablecloths and the rest of it. You wouldnt want that every evening either but when you did want a change, a lighter meal and not bothering to change it was a great alternative. The other diners were invariably full world cruisers ringing the changes when the small ^venue had a good social atmosphere.

Comment

[QUOTE=philhar, wallasey;n1428741]Masks are now a part of general life so it really doesn't bother me .

Apart from the discomfort of masks I find them extremely difficult. I am hard of hearing and find it difficult if not impossible to understand what wearers are saying. I wear and tolerate them as needs must but my husband is forever having to interpret and repeat what is said in shops, cafes etc or by anyone we come across. I have even given up going to church in person, continuing to rely on online output, as I became so fed up of sitting and not understanding.

The thought of coping with masks for the length of a cruise and missing out on so much is a no no.

Comment

Originally posted by mags, cardiff View Post

I can well understand. We loved everything about a 120 night World Cruise on QM2. Dining room and Club food and company was good but you dont want the menu and formality every night for that length of time. As well as the self service Kings Court buffet one area there was an evening pizzeria, small tables, red tablecloths and the rest of it. You wouldnt want that every evening either but when you did want a change, a lighter meal and not bothering to change it was a great alternative. The other diners were invariably full world cruisers ringing the changes when the small ^venue had a good social atmosphere.
                              Yes, 120 days of it would blow my mind [well stomach to be accurate].
                              I know it's difficult to comprehend for many who are traditional 7/10/14 and possibly 21 day cruisers but week after week after week of glorious food becomes a bit banal after a time. A visit to the Lido for dinner is a way of escape but formal Gala dinners, when seated at large tables are usually a whole table event in our experience and that is why I was so taken with the Hot Dog and Fries alternative. There's a certain cachet eating fried onions and fries whilst in black tie, sitting with fellow booted and suited guests!

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Hi JC

I don't know because generally I don't eat MDR dinner and opt for the Italian or Indian options in the buffet except for 1 occasion when I and an Aussie was served Indian food in MDR.

My reference to Cottage Pie was prompted by a vlog of MSC Virtuosa lunch offering - Cottage Pie - I smiled.

Annie
                                We packed up sailing with P & O some time ago because their menus seem to rotate around "traditional English fare" and rehashes like Cottage Pie and Shepherds Pie were so boringly usual fare. We mentioned it to passengers on our table and they said "We love the food on here, it's so good. None of that foreign muck for us". Others agreed and and said they thought P & O' s food was the best at sea.
                                I thought "In the sea" was a better place but left them to their own conclusions.
                                Cottage Pie on MSC seems so inappropriate to me though !

Sorry for the digression but I needed to get it off my chest...... Neil

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X