• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise lines testing the waters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise lines testing the waters

It would appear that one or two cruise lines are ready to dip their bows into the briny and cautiously head out to sea with a relatively small band of tenacious passengers on board. I have no real wish to be a guinea pig at this moment. Not because I would worry about it nor because I do not want to be cruising without ports of call but mainly because I want to see how others manage for a change. Plus I am getting to that stage of being past my sail by date.

I live in a beautiful spot overlooking the needles and regularly walk the cliff tops with my binoculars at hand. All of this past year plus some we have watched the sad sight of up to eight passenger empty cruise liners sheltering from the prevailing seas and winds, tucked into the cliffs or hiding behind a large island/peninsular. They have conjured up wonderful memories, 77 cruises to date and many ships visits here and overseas; thanks cruisedot; but somehow the urge is not to take a trip up the gangway yet.

So am I alone with this cautious approach or are you all busting a gut to get back out there hoping against hope the airline hasn't lost your luggage again (or not), paying (or not) tips, queueing (or not) for food, sneaking that odd bottle, (or not) aboard? Or are you just busting a gut to be there whatever the consequences?

It takes all sorts dunnit......Neil

I am of the same opinion.

We have 3 transferred cruises to 2022 and 2023, when I hope things may have improved. We have booked balcony for all 3 cruises instead of our usual mixture depending on the destination. as we want the security of our own space if necessary.

I hope and believe in a year's time it may all be different. If it is not, the cruise companies will be closing operations. 2 -3 years without substantial sales would put an end to any business.

Comment

I’ve had three cruises cancelled since March 20. Last year is the first year since I was a wee girl I’ve not had a holiday. As I’m not as lucky as you Neil to live down south where your weather is 100% better than mine so I’ve booked a cruise to the sun this year. Every passenger has to have both vaccines, I’ve had my two jags and hubby has his second this Sunday, so I think this will be a safer holiday than going to hotels in the U.K. where you don’t know who’s been vaccinated and who’s not.

I’ve two cruises booked for next year which I’m so looking forward to.
      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

I am not in a hurry to board a cruise ship. We have had our first vaccines and the second ones come soon, but I would prefer that others are cruise guinea pigs. We will stick to land based holidays for the time being.

Comment

I'm one of those who can't wait to get back out to sea.

I've booked a 5 day to Scotland and back on one of Fred's 'new' ships in August, a trip down to Rouen on Balmoral in October and the Canaries for Christmas/New Year.
          No flights involved as I really don't want that for the foreseeable future.
          Jill

Comment

We had booked a cruise in 2019 prior to covid for June 2020, then Covid happened and we transferred the deposit to a similar cruise for June 2021 which PO cancelled, this time we requested refund of deposit, cancelled the insurance, car parking and pre cruise overnight stay in Southampton.

We have no interest testing the waters, a staycation cruise, being guinea pigs or any holiday where mask wearing is a requirement or where you cannot mix socially with other guests.

It’s been two years since we first booked our twice cancelled cruise and over that time due to the deterioration in my wife’s mobility, I think we have now got to the stage of being past our sail by date.

At this moment in time we have no enthusiasm for any holiday, even our land based holiday in Cornwall with our daughter/partner and family due in September, which originally should have been Easter.

Just thankful we live by the coast the seafront being only a five minute drive away. The one thing I am looking forward to though, is our daughters wedding in September 2022..
            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I’m not dipping my toe into the water until next year (March - April) By then we should have an idea of what to expect / or not to expect on board.

Comment

My cruise history is peppered with cruises longer than 14 days. It might be some time before those itineraries are available. Short RUK cruises serving cottage pie don't appeal.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                  My cruise history is peppered with cruises longer than 14 days. It might be some time before those itineraries are available. Short RUK cruises serving cottage pie don't appeal.

Annie
                  Hi Annie
                  Dont ships serve cottage pie on longer cruises?

I commented on another thread re mass market cruise line menus being much of a muchness.

You have done a few Celebrity longer cruises,,,does the menu differ on the 14+ day cruises to the 9-10 day cruises?
                  I bet they use the same template.

Would a menu on a Cunard or P&O world cruise really differ that much to a 10 day Med or Baltic cruise.
                  They May throw a regional speciality in now and then usually in the buffet restaurant,,but I wager the MDR menus don’t change one week from the next.
                  Having never been on a W/C of course I’m only guessing.

JC
                  C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                  "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                    Hi Annie

I commented on another thread re mass market cruise line menus being much of a muchness.

You have done a few Celebrity longer cruises,,,does the menu differ on the 14+ day cruises to the 9-10 day cruises?

Would a menu on a Cunard or P&O world cruise really differ that much to a 10 day Med or Baltic cruise.
                    They May throw a regional speciality in now and then usually in the buffet restaurant,,but I wager the MDR menus don’t change one week from the next.

JC
                    Hi JC

I don't know because generally I don't eat MDR dinner and opt for the Italian or Indian options in the buffet except for 1 occasion when I and an Aussie was served Indian food in MDR.

My reference to Cottage Pie was prompted by a vlog of MSC Virtuosa lunch offering - Cottage Pie - I smiled.

Annie

Comment

I cant work up any enthusiasm to get back cruising either.

We did several cruises a year, perhaps around 10 weeks total. 3 have been cancelled because of Covid, we have one in the pipleline for 2022 and a longer one in 2023. We considered the UK ones this year but nothing about them appealed.

We have both had 2 jabs, quickly and efficiently with short intervals between them. We are out and about, have used local public transport, have done a couple of holiday accmmodation staycations with more to come (including 2 close to the Needles Neil). Then last week for the first time as restrictions permitted we saw family in England, the last time being August 2020. In short, there is no logical reason not to cruise, although we would wish to avoid any flights for now.

My indifference to return to cruising stems from the fact that it is not going to be what we have been used to and come to like so much. The thought of e.g. constant mask wearing, booking everything, less mixing and meeting people, restricted dining, organised tours are, to us, not the same product and do not appeal. I feel that it will detract from the very happy experiences and memories we have of former cruises and itineraries. Additionally, we have come to enjoy travelling more locally and a different lifestyle generally since we were last on a cruise ship as UK lockdown began.

Comment

we have Walls of the Med booked for Nov, and our usual Christmas Balmoral cruise, No reason I wouldnt go on a cruise at the moment, just waiting for everything to sort itself out,, i.e will you still need covid cover even after vacs? And how much will the ins. try to sting you for..........Sad for us though as we always meet with a huge crowd for xmas cruise and at least 2 couples have emailed to say they are now uninsurable..............Also we have never done a med cruise!!! so I am really hoping it will be normalish by then

Comment

Hi Annie

JC
                          Cunard certainly does a great individual Shepherd/Cottage pie for lunch on long cruises, and shorter ones too.
                          My husband positively relishes a piping hot cottage pie for lunch especially on a chilly day at sea,.

Comment

Certainly not this year. Next year maybe. I'm playing a wait and see game.

Comment

Hi Annie

JC
                              We rarely cruise for less than fourteen days because since we have to fly to cruise it isn’t worth the air fare for a week. In our experience, Celebrity has a fourteen day menu rotation on two week cruises, with little repetition. Princess is similar. When we have done b2b cruises of seven or fourteen days each, the menu repeats, as does the entertainment.
                              The only time I have seen Shepherds' Pie on a cruise was at the pub lunch on Princess and there were better alternatives available then although I think the steak and mushroom 'pie' only met the pastry on the plate.

Sheila

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X