• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise England!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise England!

Having read the post re Scotland posted by "Sticky", is England considered to be a worthwhile destination for cruise lines. Other than the "Round England" cruises from dover/Southamton etc. Do cruise ships visit England as part of itinerary at all. if not, why not! It would be possible for them to pick up more cruiser's too.

Just curious, John to cruiser's

The point to think of is any around Britain cruise that does not include a non E.U. Port of call into its itinerary will mean a automatic 20% V.A.T. charge added to any board purchases & who wants to give money to the tax-man when you don't need to.
    ]

Comment

A Fjord cruise from Southampton could include Liverpool as a port-of-call and a Baltic cruise could include Newcastle, picking up passengers as well. Just two examples and no VAT to pay.

Comment

We once did a Round British Isles cruise where there were 3 Irish and 3 Scottish ports- but only one in England (Falmouth- stunning, CG). We also visited Amsterdam, Zeebrugge and Le Havre. Granted, it was an American ship, so the passengers saw several countries, but it would have been good to include Liverpool, Newcastle or Hull.
        Emerald Princess once visited Barrow in Furness, and the local Mountain Goat buses were waiting to take passengers into the Lake District. We've had smaller ships into Whitehaven, but it's a tender port.
        Jo.

Comment

Well as I am a Scottish, the only thing you could want to see would be the road to Scotland ?!!!

Comment

Quite agree on this subject,there are some stunning places in Britain that never get a look in where cruise,s are concerned,Hull for the Yorkshire moors and Dales,Newcastle for Northumberland and Durham,etc etc,Of course these would be suited more in the summertime than winter! Alas i think we are flogging a dead horse here,i dont think it will ever happen. Jan.

Comment

Two Germany cruise ships have visited Whitby North Yorks this year, although tendering in its a great cruise destination. If the Germans can do it Im sure we can?

Comment

Originally posted by granddaddy, worksop View Post
                Having read the post re Scotland posted by "Sticky", is England considered to be a worthwhile destination for cruise lines. Other than the "Round England" cruises from dover/Southamton etc. Do cruise ships visit England as part of itinerary at all. if not, why not! It would be possible for them to pick up more cruiser's too.

Just curious, John to cruiser's
                I thought that would be a good idea like a Hop on, Hop off, cruise you could board at certain ports cruise round then get off at your departure port .
                But would it sell Possibly not enough people interested ,Celebrity are doing one next year staying over night in Liverpool to allow visitors to visit the Open Golf .
                But Tuggy has a point who wants to pay more tax than they need to ..Taffy
                ​Taffy

Comment

I know Artania has called at Portsmouth, and small cruise ships visit London quite often (berthing alongside HMS Belfast).

Comment

Hull has just been voted the city of culture, so it's time the ships visit the port.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                      I thought that would be a good idea like a Hop on, Hop off, cruise you could board at certain ports cruise round then get off at your departure port .
                      But would it sell Possibly not enough people interested ,Celebrity are doing one next year staying over night in Liverpool to allow visitors to visit the Open Golf .
                      But Tuggy has a point who wants to pay more tax than they need to ..Taffy
                      I'm assuming here you're not saying Celebrity has a HOHO Around Britain cruise!

Around Britain itinerary.
                      I'd love to do one. In fact it's on my bucket list to be actioned one day [luckily, Cunard seems to be interested in this route] and I can't for the life of me see what the rate of tax has to do with it.
                      I can just see it...

'There are very few itineraries of a particular cruise I'd like to do, on offer, but luckily, I love the ship and thus I like the look of that cruise ... oops, look for another which has a non EU port in the itinerary to avoid 20% tax on all on-board purchases'...?

It just ain't going to happen!

If I see a cruise which ticks all the boxes and is on my 'to do' list, the last thing I'm going to do is look at any purchase tax implications.

Comment

Same here Mrs M,if the itinerary is right,taxes would not bother me. In fact before we booked our first cruise we factored in tips(as we all should) Same as with any holiday,taxes tips,spending money and sundries should all be factored in! Jan.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X