• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Slow cruising' may entice passengers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Slow cruising' may entice passengers

Costa's new concept could be something to talk about for those seeking a more immersive cruising experience

A new cruising experience from Costa will allow passengers to spend more time in the ports and cities of their favourite destinations, with longer itineraries and excursions that limit attendance to 25 guests at a time.

The 'slow cruise', set to debut on February 9th 2014, will see smaller vessels utilised that are capable of visiting ports that the megaships cannot, such as those of Sardinia, Olbia and the Isle of Elba.

Typical tours are expected to last between 12 and 15 days, in stark contrast to the usual seven-day Mediterranean cruise.

"Slow cruising and the neoCollection is a premium grade product aimed at a sophisticated, slightly older clientele," commented a Costa representative.

The company hopes to tempt passengers with a more immersive experience that may even include an overnight stay, as well as thorough shore tours and the chance to sample local foods and wines throughout the city of their choice.
    Ahoy There Holly
    Community Manager - Cruises.co.uk

People always seem to be complaining about time in ports getting cut so I can imagine this more premium product appealing to those for whom the itinerary is the most important part of the cruise.
    Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

As a fan of smaller ships and the itinerary being paramount, I like the idea. I wonder though if the cost would be prohibitive for us.
      It is certainly an interesting development.
      Jill

Comment

Yes, I think that I could become a fan of that type of cruising.

Comment

Azamara .....

The Azamara brand already offer this....small ships, destination immersive itineraries and it is very good. It is also ideal for those who like the idea of cruising without actually risking getting motion sickness!

Comment

'Slow cruising'

I saw this and thought 'yes'.

The ocean all around; sun shining; watching the wake of the ship; lazy days on deck; book and a glass of something chilled to hand as the ship slowly cuts through the calm sea...

In reality, more days in port.

No thanks.

Comment

The problem is I've just been to their website and there is no mention whatsoever of 'NeoCollection' and there isn't even a search box on the site which is pretty blooming dire. I've never really considered Costa but this idea appeals to me but then they fall down at the first hurdle which is darn stupid as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                'Slow cruising'

I saw this and thought 'yes'.

The ocean all around; sun shining; watching the wake of the ship; lazy days on deck; book and a glass of something chilled to hand as the ship slowly cuts through the calm sea...

In reality, more days in port.

No thanks.
                I thought the same thing Mrs M. For slow cruising I think I'll stick to the Atlantic crossings. More time in ports may appeal, depending on the ports, of course. Shame it's Costa. Judith

Comment

Link to press release as requested by Trevor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mytxzb2cslfth3/CostaSlow.pdf
                  Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Yes that sounds like a winner for us. Will definitely try it.

Comment

Thanks for doing that Duncan.

Bill the last email from Costa UK on the subject said these cruise were not open to UK passengers right now but they have promised to get back to me with a quote on the one I'm interested in and presumably an update on when the others can be taken up over here.

Comment

The Neo Romantica (extended Costa Romantica) had a few balcony cabins added last year now boasts of 789 cabins, this is a really lovely ship although IMO has been spoilt some what by these additions. The recent addition of the Neo Riviera having just 624 cabins is Costa's way of bringing these smaller ships into the market.
                        Having sailed on the Romantica in 2000 and again after the re-fit she is one of my favourite all time small ships, the other was the ill-fated Costa Europa which now has become the Thomson Dream.

I believe that they are planing a 62 day world tour to start, then bringing the idea to the 'Medditerraen' Unless it changes the is no evening buffet or other options for dining, other than the MDR or specialty Restaurant at an extra change.
                        Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

princess offered very long days in port for the Venice to Rome cruise and the beginning of the cruise was overnight in Venice. Most days were 8 to 9 hours which gives you a chance to explore. I look for as many port calls as possible and the least sea days, I want to see the world with my floating hotel.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X