• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Britons on Celebrity Eclipse robbed in St Lucia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britons on Celebrity Eclipse robbed in St Lucia

I have just heard on the news that people on a cruise tour were held up and robbed in St Lucia.

How terrifying for the passengers to go through something like that.

Could it be a sign of things to come?

Susan

Thats sad to hear this. St Lucia is a lovely island. I wonder if they were on a private tour. Do you have any more details.

Comment

It was a ships tour, they were held up at gun point and robbed of jewellery and money.

Thankfully no one was hurt.

I am sure they said it had happened on friday.

Susan

Comment

St. Lucia: Mass robbery of cruisers a 'rare incident'

Comment

I'm sure the local police will be pulling out all the stops to find the perpetrator as the island pretty well depends on tourism as it makes up 48% of its GDP. The islanders are very friendly and such an event will have been a great shock to them as well.

Comment

That is pretty scary! You think there is safety in numbers but obviously the gunmen were not fazed by that..Carol

Comment

It is nasty-it must have been really scary for the people involved. I can't imagine how they must be feeling.
              On the other hand it looks like the authorities in St lucia are taking it very seriously and it is very rare.

Comment

Certainly seems very frightening, not a nice memory to look back on. Hope they are all ok.

Gunmen Rob Britons On Caribbean Cruise

Comment

We had booked to sail on that particular cruise but switched to a Med Cruise to join our friends from Australia when they come over later this year.

It really brings it home when you realise that it could have been you.

Although we just take a small amount of currency out when on a ship's tour leaving our wallet/purse in the stateroom safe, the bxxxxxds took the passenger's jewellery at gunpoint as well apparently and the whole episode must have been very traumatic.

Comment

Cruisers should not be taken in by the sun and bright sea, the islands are poor and casual crime is endemic

Comment

Hi wavell,yours is a good point well,as they say.but where do you draw the line in the sand?

The folks on the eclipse,had booked a organised tour of the island,they were not running around willy nilly,like headless chickens in the back of some dodgy taxi drivers car.

I am confident these folks had booked the tour, with safety in mind.unfortunately it is a sad fact of life that follows the traveller where ever
                      He or she roams

This will not have been a spur of the moment thing,from the bandits in my opinion,it will have been a plan formulated well in advance.

It will of course be treat with the upmost sincerity by the authorities, as you may well know yourself wavell.

I have just listened to the islands minister for trades reaction,and swift action will follow I am sure.

After all it is the islands interest.regards Michael.

Comment

Michael As a very ex British consul in area, a group tour should be the safest and if I was in post now I would have recommended same, its the ones u quote that are the ones that normally have the problems.

Comment

OMG - it sounds truly frightening.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X