• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad news for those seeking norovirus compensation!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad news for those seeking norovirus compensation!

Jane Archer has offered up some sound advice on norovirus claims

Leading cruise holiday critic Jane Archer has issued some stern advice for those considering a norovirus-related compensation claim.

The advice comes in the wake of an outbreak of the illness aboard the P&O Oriana last month, which prompted the Daily Mail to dub the vessel the ‘plague’ ship.

This particular instance led to widespread unrest among those aboard the liner, who claimed that more could have been done to improve their holiday experiences.

But while some may be considering contacting their insurance firm to enquire about potential cover, writing in the Daily Telegraph, Ms Archer has urged them to reconsider such plans.

"The bad news for those who don’t want to share their cruise with norovirus is that travel insurance does not cover fear of sickness and cruise lines do not consider it a valid reason to cancel a booking," she explains.

"Unfortunately, if you contract norovirus on a cruise and are quarantined in your cabin for a couple of days, you won’t get any compensation either."

The only occasion in which compensation is likely to be payable is if the voyage is either cancelled or curtailed as a result of the outbreak and even then there may be certain clauses related to it in the holiday contract.

Have you ever claimed following a norovirus outbreak?
    Robinson Cruisoe, Mrs
    Cruises.co.uk Community Manager

Please note: I am currently on maternity leave. Should you have any admin queries, please send a PM to Nisha at sea . Thanks

Robinson Cruisoe, Mrs
    Cruises.co.uk Community Manager

We did not claim from our insurance, but Celebrity compensated us by giving us an credit of the daily rate we had paid for the days we were isolated, against another cruise. We were also not charged for medical care and were reimbursed for a tour we were unable to take. We thought this was very fair and would not look for any further compensation. We have been on several cruises where Noro was on board, but this was the only time we were affected. Having a system in place for dealing with those who are sick encourages reporting and reduces transmission of the virus.

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
      We did not claim from our insurance, but Celebrity compensated us by giving us an credit of the daily rate we had paid for the days we were isolated, against another cruise. We were also not charged for medical care and were reimbursed for a tour we were unable to take. We thought this was very fair and would not look for any further compensation. We have been on several cruises where Noro was on board, but this was the only time we were affected. Having a system in place for dealing with those who are sick encourages reporting and reduces transmission of the virus.
      What a sensible reply - reasonable compensation in my opinion. If we are to caim for every little misfortune in life it can only drive prices up, as it all has to be paid for at the end of the day. I hate this 'Compensation Culture', it seems to intrude into almost all aspects of life - and never improves it.

Comment

Norovirus

Originally posted by geoffh, New Romney View Post
        What a sensible reply - reasonable compensation in my opinion. If we are to caim for every little misfortune in life it can only drive prices up, as it all has to be paid for at the end of the day. I hate this 'Compensation Culture', it seems to intrude into almost all aspects of life - and never improves it.
        The replies do indeed sound sensible however the route cause has yet to be addressed. The crew are trained in maintaining a hygienic environment but how many times have you observed passengers at the buffet handling bread rolls and then putting them back or using the toilets without washing afterwards. The crew can't be everywhere so it is up to individuals to point out the unacceptable standards of hygiene of ignorant passengers.

Comment

I have claimed after contracting Novovirus and got 6 days off the price of our next cruise for each of us, as before we boarded the ship, we checked to make sure the ship was clean, after being told it was we then boarded, only to find after we sailed, That the ship had up to 200 people per day getting ill, on the cruise before this one. The reason I was so insistent on knowing, was because my wife had contracted a very bad illness, And this cruise was so she could recuperate. We missed out on Finland, And part of our Russia stay, which was the main reason we booked this cruise. Chris (Norfolk Boy)

Comment

Four or five years ago, when Norovirus was "rare", one of our friends with us on a P&O cruise had severe stomach pains. The doctor suspected Norovirus and he was confined to his cabin, which was fumigated, for 2 days. He and his wife received compensation off another cruise equivalent to the value of his encarceration, a personally signed letter from the Captain thanking him for reporting the "outbreak", saying that there would be no medical charge, and a huge bouquet of flowers for his wife. Eventually when he got off the ship he was found to be suffering with gallstones! How times have changed!

Comment

Your can get specific cruise insurance to cover confinement to cabin (due to illness), missed pre-paid excursions, etc. I have just taken out an annual European holiday policy through A-Plan insurance brokers. The basic cost was £65.65 per person (plus additional costs to cover pre-existing medical conditions, but that is a different story). The specific cruise insurance was an additional £40. I would be tempted to take it if we were planning more than one cruise in a year, or arranging our own flights for a fly cruise. Decided not to take it this time.

RCI refunded the cost of a missed excursion last year when we cancelled 20 minutes before leaving. I went to guest relations to say that my husband was feeling a little unwell (not norovirus), and we would not be going, and they just credited out account with the cost for the two of us. Norovirus was onboard, so perhaps that was the reason for the refund. Full marks to them for that, whatever the reason.

Comment

So the ship was clean before you all boarded, but then had 200 pax/day falling ill. Seems obvious where the cause was and it's difficult to see how the cruise line can force pax to adopt safe hygiene practices.

Buffets are prime risk areas and at least one line does not allow self service at the buffet, with all items served by staff from behind the counter. This seems likely to be effective. The toilet problems are harder and it's difficult to believe how some people can use these without washing afterwards, but again at least one line has placed paper towel dispensers immediately inside the main door so that you can use one to open the handle on your way out; there is a bin just outside for disposal. This goes some way to fight the problem and at least you are able to protect yourself even if some lout has contaminated the handle. An alternative would be automatic doors taps and flushes, which could and should be retrofitted.

Two local hospitals have closed wards this winter, plus a number of care homes locally, including one for my mother-in-law, which was closed to visitors for two weeks. The closures have been effective and the virus has - temporarily - gone away, once more demonstrating where the cause was.

I think it would be more fruitful to insist somehow that the cruise lines put some more effective measures in place rather than trying to get compensation

Comment

On NCL Jade over Christmas - for the first few days all of the toilet doors were wedged open; no self-serve in the buffet and sanitizers everywhere (including the 'washy-washy' girl at the entrance to the buffet. This seems to be standard NCL practice and they seem to have less outbreaks of noro than some other lines.

Personally I wash and scrub my hands regularly and often and have never suffered noro yet. Iin the buffet I use the tongs to take things from the back of the tray (less chance of someone handling something and putting it back).
                  If you can read this - thank a teacher
                  If you are reading this in English - thank a soldier

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH2508, London View Post
                    On NCL Jade over Christmas - for the first few days all of the toilet doors were wedged open; no self-serve in the buffet and sanitizers everywhere (including the 'washy-washy' girl at the entrance to the buffet. This seems to be standard NCL practice and they seem to have less outbreaks of noro than some other lines.

Personally I wash and scrub my hands regularly and often and have never suffered noro yet. Iin the buffet I use the tongs to take things from the back of the tray (less chance of someone handling something and putting it back).
                    I do the same...back of the display, but use my own spoon and fork. I never use the implements provided, but there again, I rarely use the buffet these days. It seems 'safer' to use the MDR.

Comment

On Oriana in December - didn't use the public toilets, washed hands so many times we went through 2 bars of soap and also carried our own pen to sign for purchases in shop and bar. Seemed to work as myself, husband and 2 friends did not catch Norovirus

Comment

If they cruise line has ' taken all reasonable steps'' and are not negligent... then I really dont know how you can claim..

if people do claim in hoards just imagin the cost of holidays rocketing !!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH2508, London View Post
                          On NCL Jade over Christmas...I wash and scrub my hands regularly and often and have never suffered noro yet...in the buffet I use the tongs to take things from the back of the tray (less chance of someone handling something and putting it back).
                          Anyone that goes on ANY cruise that permits you to help yourself to your own food* deserves everything they get IMHO. On Oceania Cruises you simply CAN'T help yourself, but instead point to what you want and it it is served to you. My guess is that they have fewer instances of norovirus etc as a result.

*someone tried to help themselves on a cruise I have just returned from and they were promptly told by the lady behind the buffet counter that this was NOT allowed. My reaction was GOOD FOR YOU!

Re sanitisers, IMHO you should NOT be allowed to enter any dining venue without using these; the sooner this becomes an industry norm the better. But some people (ie. the kind of people who think lifeboat drills don't apply to them) will always complain.

Comment

If everybody followed basic hygiene rules, it would drastically reduce the novo and other viruses, But sadly I have seen crew members leave the toilets without washing their hands, and only then wash their hands when you pick them up on it. ships cat Chris

Comment

Must admit that even when using a public toilet in this country or abroad, I always take a spare sheet of loo paper out of the toilet with me and use this to open the exit door - after having washed my hands thoroughly of course. Nothing is 100% safe but you just have to minimise the risks as much as you can.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X