• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costa using pricing and media to repair public image

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costa using pricing and media to repair public image

Costa Crociere intends to use attractive pricing and a marketing drive to repair its image and build up bookings, following the tragedy that beset the passengers of the Costa Concordia earlier this year.

According to Seatrade Insider, the company's chief executive Pier Luigi Foschi explained that Costa is now "planning a comeback" through the media, just a short time after doubts were expressed as to whether the brand could survive the aftermath of Concordia's sinking.

In an interview with the publication, he said that the Costa will launch a "multifaceted and rather complex" marketing strategy, with pricing key to recovery in the market.

Despite some passengers still having reservations about Costa, the company recently reported record volumes of Easter bookings.

Mr Foschi was quoted saying: "Now is the time we are planning a comeback for Costa through the media, hopefully in our own space and hopefully what we want to say."

Reports this week suggest that plans are afoot to refloat the Costa Concordia, which currently remains partially sunk off the coast of the island of Gigilo.

Would you be willing to embark on a Costa Cruise following the tragedy of the Concordia?

"he said that the Costa will launch a "multifaceted and rather complex" marketing strategy, with pricing key to recovery in the market".

Is that management speak for they are going to give their cruises away? Money talks!
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
      "he said that the Costa will launch a "multifaceted and rather complex" marketing strategy, with pricing key to recovery in the market".

Is that management speak for they are going to give their cruises away? Money talks!
      That is how I read it Malcolm - not sure if I would travel with them though!

Comment

Tomvet, I'm not worried about safety, it's an Italian product aimed at Italians.
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Just back from a cruise on the Costa Mediterranea, they have certainly upped their game, fabulous cruise service top rate. have a few reservations about the change in the menus and buffet times now being cut to the extreams, think they might just be cutting back too far. chould not even get a cup of tea after 9pm in the buffet.
          Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Not a cat in hells chance of ever considering a costa cruise, even if they gave it away with free drinks , excursions etc, still would not remotely consider it . Never did before the accidents and never will now, Now Celebrity Cruises and the ship Celebrity Eclipse - well now your talking !! a cruise on that ship complete with butler is worth every penny and exceeds all expectations...... forget Costa , mediocre old Carnival UK's P&O and the like.enjoy a real cruise with Celebrity Eclipse or Crystal Cruises Crystal Serenity - now you are talking ships that take cruising to the next level

Comment

I would like to say to you that your write up about Costa is really nasty. I have travelled with em before and found them excellent. In fact 6 of us are going in May on Atlantica as we like COSTA. For your information we are also doing a cruise with Celebrity on the end of May. Please everyone do not listen to this person as his judgement of Costa is way off especially that he has not EVEN been on one of their cruises.
              Phyllis OMalley Australia

Comment

Originally posted by teignrebel, teignmouth View Post
                Not a cat in hells chance of ever considering a costa cruise, even if they gave it away with free drinks , excursions etc, still would not remotely consider it . Never did before the accidents and never will now, Now Celebrity Cruises and the ship Celebrity Eclipse - well now your talking !! a cruise on that ship complete with butler is worth every penny and exceeds all expectations...... forget Costa , mediocre old Carnival UK's P&O and the like.enjoy a real cruise with Celebrity Eclipse or Crystal Cruises Crystal Serenity - now you are talking ships that take cruising to the next level
                And yet another non cruiser who can knock Costa even though he has NEVER been with them so knows nothing about the brand. I have also been with Celebrity many times and they are both excellent cruise lines, unlike your professional opinion, mine is based on fact.
                Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Costa or Celebrity

Costa is fine. Food is great, ships spotlessly clean. We did one Celebrity cruise, it was alright but nothing special, did we miss something? We thought just about the same standard as P & O.
                  Would we cruise Costa again, yes if the price was right and timing and destinations what we wanted, same criteria we'd use for any cruise holiday with any line.

Comment

We sailed on the Costa voyager out of Sharm just a few weeks after the tragic sinking of the Concordia. This was our third Costa cruise and our tenth overall. We had been berthed next to the Concordia September last in Palma Majorca whist aboard the HAL Ryndam.I took pictures of it and had a feeling of warmth when we looked over at it as we have sailed on the Serena which is a similar sized and designed ship and remembered the good time we had experienced on her as with the Mediteranea.Who would have thought such a tragedy would happen. But in reality what better time to go on a Costa ship than when everyone is feeling the reality of what can happen as the result of poor seaman ship. The world was watching them and that's why it took them nearly an hour to dock in Sharm with such gradual manouvering because of the high winds that can rush in at this port remembering the fatal crash of the Europa in 2010 3 crew members were killed when it was taken in by winds. This was also a small ship the Voyager being designed for military purposes then turned into a cruise ship when the contract was sqaushed.It could manage 28 knotts and was nicely attired with wood and chrome and not the usual razz ma taz of the other Costa ships. We paid a small amount for a lot of enjoyment and never worried a bit.

Comment

I also think that teignrebel's post is way over the top. There is no need to make comments in that tone, particularly in ignorance of what Costa cruises are like.

Having said that, to answer the question, I wouldn't take a Costa cruise simply because it's not the type of cruise I go on (and I have spent a pleasant weekend on board one of their ships, as a guest).
                      Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. ;)

Comment

Cruised on Concordia in June 2009,long before the tragedy,and said "Never again with Costa",which is a dangerous thing to say considering the itineraries that Costa have.However so far I have not booked Costa again.
                        The tragedy has not put me off cruising as I have cruised 6 times since and have another 3 booked.
                        My favourite cruiseline is RCI.

Comment

We have also cruised on the Mediterranea also on the Celebrity Equinox in the same year and Costa won hands down especially as the food and entertainment was much better and our trip was also cheaper.

Comment

just back from a weeks cruise to Dubai with Costa (favalosa) we had a fab time food,service and crew were all fantastic paid for drinks packages which was well worth it it, woukld cruise on this ship again

Comment

Always had a lovely time on Costa, ships excellent, Favalosa is my Costa favorite,even the chocolate bar was included on the J2 package , food is good, I had a tour of the kitchens and OH Boy were the standards excellent, and a good price to boot. We have cruised with a lot of other cruise lines as well, so have a lot of experience cruising. The Italian ships are noisier, and the Italians have no concept of queuing, they are not being rude,queuing is just not what they do. The suites on the Costa ships are slightly better than the ones on Celebrity ships I have been on, in my opinion more Butler for your money,more facilities in the cabin, although neither of them are as good as the suites on NCL. Celebrity do have the best salad bar in the buffet though.

Costa have always had a good itineraries, the Black sea is next on my list.

I would never knock anything I have not tried, I might say I do not fancy that and not go, but not put it down to the extent teignrebel has.

Yes I will cruise Costa again, loads of cruise lines have had accidents and incidents over the years, I am sure all cruise lines have good and bad captains, and good and bad ships. Just love my cruises and if Costa put the price down a little so much the better.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X