• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cuba welcomes first British cruise ship in years...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cuba welcomes first British cruise ship in years...

The Thomson Dream sailed into Havana today (Wed 5 Jan) - it's the largest ship to dock there in almost six years.

The visit has been deemed a sign that more cruise companies are starting to return to the island.

Calls from European vessels diminished after the then-president Fidel Castro blasted the cruise industry for leaving "rubbish, but little income".

The decades-old US trade embargo prevents the abundance of cruise companies based in Miami, Florida to make the journey.

Spanish and Norwegian owned cruise ships were the first to return to Cuba in recent months, and it is believed that communications are now underway with Russian and Canadian cruiselines too.

Have you ever been to Cuba? If not, is it a place you'd like to visit on a cruise?

Robinson Cruisoe, Mrs
    Cruises.co.uk Community Manager

Please note: I am currently on maternity leave. Should you have any admin queries, please send a PM to Nisha at sea . Thanks

Robinson Cruisoe, Mrs
    Cruises.co.uk Community Manager

I'd love to go to Cuba before it gets totally spoiled by tourism. Well maybe it won't! Loved the scenery on Auf Wiedersehen Pet, part of it was filmed in Havana. Been thinking of a cruise to get a taste and if it's as good as it looks, go back for a holiday.

Comment

This is a country I'd love to visit, but as its only Thomsons Dream thats calling there I think I will wait.
      Hope some of the other cruise lines soon put Cuba on their itinerary

Comment

I've been to Havana, was there for a conference in November, it's a wonderful city, and really not expensive, I made this video of the old City:

Comment

I've been to Cuba and toured round from Havana to other areas. People there need the cruise ships to bring some money into the country and Im delighted to read this news. Please lets have more ships going to Havana.

Comment

I'm at gatwick now just about to board my plane to arrive in Cuba in ten hours to board the dream
            sigpic
            http://www.cruising4holidays.com

Comment

Voyages of Discovery appears to be spending three nights in Havana as part of her "Grand Voyage from the New World" in April. We're thinking about that one, especially because some parts of the itinerary would be new to us.

Comment

Could be interesting to go there... Be good to see the place

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Skinner, Ashford Kent View Post
                  I'm at gatwick now just about to board my plane to arrive in Cuba in ten hours to board the dream
                  Nice one Andy look forward to hearing your reports - we go two weeks today but board in Jamaica with 2 nights in Havana.

Have a good trip.

John.
                  One life - Live it!!!

Comment

Would seem a natural destination for Swan Hellenic

Comment

We too are due to join the Dream on 20th January are you as apprehensive as us? Eagerly awaiting review from passengers returning to UK tomorrow to see if things on board are improving- here's hoping!!

Comment

Originally posted by Barb, Wirral View Post
                        We too are due to join the Dream on 20th January are you as apprehensive as us? Eagerly awaiting review from passengers returning to UK tomorrow to see if things on board are improving- here's hoping!!
                        Hello Barb

I am due to join on the 20th January to and am also waiting for some of the feed back. My partner will having her 50th on the31st January
                        see you on the 20th if our paths cross.

Comment

Surely Thomson cannot ignore the amount of strocious reviews. At least we have another couple of weeks for the matters to be addressed. We have so looked forward to this cruise, I have never been to the caribbean before ( my husband has) and we have not had a 2 week holiday for several years and when we did the kids were with us. I so so hope it is going to be everything I hoped. At least the ports of call should be stunning and the reviews of the staff and entertainment seem to be consistent I will hold on to any positives to allow me to look forward to this holiday. All we can do is do as much as we can to enjoy ourselves cancellation is not an option at this stage. Sorry to say though I think it will have to be our last Thomson cruise if it does go pear shaped and that would be a shame. I have always felt some of the other cruises can be a bit stuffy and that is not us.

Comment

Us too, eagerly watching reviews hoping for significant improvement - surely there will be by 20th (here's hoping)

Comment

Originally posted by mollymop, royston View Post
                              This is a country I'd love to visit, but as its only Thomsons Dream thats calling there I think I will wait.
                              Hope some of the other cruise lines soon put Cuba on their itinerary
                              Fred Olsen's Braemar is cruising Cuba and the Caribbean this year.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X