• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cunard Struggling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnR, Chippenham
    started a topic Cunard Struggling?

Cunard Struggling?

It seems that Cunard is unable to recruit the quantity and quality of crew members it requires for full operations and is "bumping off" booked passengers to reduce passenger numbers for the crew numbers available.

See Don from about 2 minutes (he does waffle on a bit) at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtgryfoWa6w

Other cruise lines also, see Don at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FemYpDBzaWo Still waffles on a bit

We did notice on our recent Britannia cruise the waiters etc. seemed younger and less experienced than in past years. Maybe this is why Arcadia is out of service for the time being.

• Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear
    replied
    Had female waiters on Celebrity cruises.

Staffing problems will be greater obviously for the huge ships now.

Leave a comment:

• mags, cardiff
    replied
    Cunards official explanation re staffing issues is that the staff they do have are having difficulties getting to the ships. There are quarantine hurdles etc.

Leave a comment:

• mags, cardiff
    replied
    We have had female waiters and also a Maitre D on Cunard ships.

Women work in all roles, including captain.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

Well I admire your physical strength Annie. I have not sailed with NCL.
    Oh I couldn't do it now .... 50 years later.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Garfield, Waterlooville
    replied
    Our first ever cruise was on Carnival and they definitely had female wait staff in the MDR as I remember remarking on the number of plated meals they were each carrying.

That cruise has a lot to answer for as it started our passion for all things cruising.

Garf

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Hi Jill

Well I did it - I worked in UK hospitality during my student days in the '70s and it was only female serving staff in the dining rooms.

I have seen female waiters in MDRs most often in NCL.

I am trying to recall my days working in bars - what was heavier?? a full tray of pints of beer or a tray of plated meals??

Even in the traditional Italian family run hotels, female waiters although rarer are not uncommon as I witnessed in the 1990s

Annie

Well I admire your physical strength Annie. I have not sailed with NCL.

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Carnival have employed female waiters for years.................Wilba

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied

I've sailed with several cruise lines and have never seen female waiters in the MDRs. I've always thought this was because waiters have to carry heavy trays laden with several meals at a time. I know that I couldn't do that! We were served in the speciality restaurant by females but they only served one table at a time.
    We frequently have [had] a lovely female waiter to do the waiting on table, She had an assistant to fetch and carry. She is Eastern European and such good fun. We also have had a female Head Waiter. Again, Eastern European and again, great fun.

Hopefully, they will have renewed their contracts and we'll meet them again.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied

I've sailed with several cruise lines and have never seen female waiters in the MDRs. I've always thought this was because waiters have to carry heavy trays laden with several meals at a time. I know that I couldn't do that! We were served in the speciality restaurant by females but they only served one table at a time.
    Hi Jill

Well I did it - I worked in UK hospitality during my student days in the '70s and it was only female serving staff in the dining rooms.

I have seen female waiters in MDRs most often in NCL.

I am trying to recall my days working in bars - what was heavier?? a full tray of pints of beer or a tray of plated meals??

Even in the traditional Italian family run hotels, female waiters although rarer are not uncommon as I witnessed in the 1990s

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied

Wow we are in the 21st century and FO have finally caught up

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    Part of the problem is a lot of people have gone home and won't be coming back.

Even if your operation did not use foreign workers you are now competing with those that did for the remaining locals.

Another thing I have noticed in the hospitality sector they are struggling to get the seasonal student workers.

Some sectors grew rapidly as there were plenty of people available
    Delivery drivers is one example, impact wide spread and yet to cut back to pre pandemic level.

Leave a comment:

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied
    Viking retained 81% of their crews, probably because they kept many more than necessary on the books during the pandemic, no issues on this trip a mixture of new and experienced crew, clearly with the Chairman on board it will go well.

Leave a comment:

• carol, welwyn garden city
    replied

Hi Carol

In addition to all that, job insecurity is a factor. Many took early retirement to either look after aged parents or young grandchildren.

More and more baby boomers have reached retirement age and their replacements were never found and trained.

Certain sectors of the economy do miss the European workers.

Annie
    Yes that's true.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

I went out with 5 friends last week, One of the pubs where your order at the till, they took 5 of our orders, then said they were to busy and shut the kitchen, so the 6th one had no food!! We had booked a table too!

I suppose because hospitality was shut for so long, people found other jobs, probably better paid, so haven't gone back
    Hi Carol

In addition to all that, job insecurity is a factor. Many took early retirement to either look after aged parents or young grandchildren.

More and more baby boomers have reached retirement age and their replacements were never found and trained.

Certain sectors of the economy do miss the European workers.

Annie

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X