• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cunard Struggling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cunard Struggling?

It seems that Cunard is unable to recruit the quantity and quality of crew members it requires for full operations and is "bumping off" booked passengers to reduce passenger numbers for the crew numbers available.

See Don from about 2 minutes (he does waffle on a bit) at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtgryfoWa6w

Other cruise lines also, see Don at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FemYpDBzaWo Still waffles on a bit

We did notice on our recent Britannia cruise the waiters etc. seemed younger and less experienced than in past years. Maybe this is why Arcadia is out of service for the time being.

Everywhere seems to be struggling at the moment for staff.

Comment

I've only been on one cruise so far this year, and that was in American waters. Princess didn't seem to have a shortage of crew, and they came from over the world.

I do keep reading about shortages on some cruise lines.
      2018-
      Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
      NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
      Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
      Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
      Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

4th covid cruise only Princess was slightly understaffed in some areas no significant impact easy to work round the super busy times.

Current NCL significant over staff we don't need 3 servers at breakfast.
        no shortage at the bars

Understaffed or
        over sold?

Comment

I've just returned from a 7 day cruise with Fred Olsen. For the first time ever, I noticed that the restaurants had female as well as male waiters. It's always been that Fred had male waiters in the restaurants and a mix of male/female in the bars.
          Jill

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
            It seems that Cunard is unable to recruit the quantity and quality of crew members it requires for full operations and is "bumping off" booked passengers to reduce passenger numbers for the crew numbers available.

See Don from about 2 minutes (he does waffle on a bit) at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtgryfoWa6w

Other cruise lines also, see Don at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FemYpDBzaWo Still waffles on a bit

We did notice on our recent Britannia cruise the waiters etc. seemed younger and less experienced than in past years. Maybe this is why Arcadia is out of service for the time being.
            The pandemic has made many re-evaluate their lives and it is happening across the world. Hospitality shortages are reported from France to Australia to USA so why should cruise lines be any different??

Some cruise lines are coping by closing extra-charge restaurants - 1st world problem.

The pandemic has triggered a social revolution - JMO- and possibly no bad thing.

We keep being told to live with Cov14 19 -well this is one of the consequences.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
              I've just returned from a 7 day cruise with Fred Olsen. For the first time ever, I noticed that the restaurants had female as well as male waiters. It's always been that Fred had male waiters in the restaurants and a mix of male/female in the bars.
              Wow we are in the 21st century and FO have finally caught up

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                Everywhere seems to be struggling at the moment for staff.
                Yea Carol. I believe the cruise lines are also having to pay more to secure their crew members, which goes against their business model.

Shoreside cafes and restaurants are having the same problem.

Where's all the labour gone? Surely people still need to work - life is getting MORE expensive!
                Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 23rd May 2022, 02:43 PM.
                See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

Yea Carol. I believe the cruise lines are also having to pay more to secure their crew members, which goes against their business model.

Landside cafes and restaurants are having the same problem.

Where's all the labour gone? Surely peopel still need to work - life is getting MORE expensive!
                  I went out with 5 friends last week, One of the pubs where your order at the till, they took 5 of our orders, then said they were to busy and shut the kitchen, so the 6th one had no food!! We had booked a table too!

I suppose because hospitality was shut for so long, people found other jobs, probably better paid, so haven't gone back

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

I went out with 5 friends last week, One of the pubs where your order at the till, they took 5 of our orders, then said they were to busy and shut the kitchen, so the 6th one had no food!! We had booked a table too!

I suppose because hospitality was shut for so long, people found other jobs, probably better paid, so haven't gone back
                    Hi Carol

In addition to all that, job insecurity is a factor. Many took early retirement to either look after aged parents or young grandchildren.

More and more baby boomers have reached retirement age and their replacements were never found and trained.

Certain sectors of the economy do miss the European workers.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Hi Carol

In addition to all that, job insecurity is a factor. Many took early retirement to either look after aged parents or young grandchildren.

More and more baby boomers have reached retirement age and their replacements were never found and trained.

Certain sectors of the economy do miss the European workers.

Annie
                      Yes that's true.

Comment

Viking retained 81% of their crews, probably because they kept many more than necessary on the books during the pandemic, no issues on this trip a mixture of new and experienced crew, clearly with the Chairman on board it will go well.

Comment

Part of the problem is a lot of people have gone home and won't be coming back.

Even if your operation did not use foreign workers you are now competing with those that did for the remaining locals.

Another thing I have noticed in the hospitality sector they are struggling to get the seasonal student workers.

Some sectors grew rapidly as there were plenty of people available
                          Delivery drivers is one example, impact wide spread and yet to cut back to pre pandemic level.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Wow we are in the 21st century and FO have finally caught up

Annie
                            I've sailed with several cruise lines and have never seen female waiters in the MDRs. I've always thought this was because waiters have to carry heavy trays laden with several meals at a time. I know that I couldn't do that! We were served in the speciality restaurant by females but they only served one table at a time.
                            Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

I've sailed with several cruise lines and have never seen female waiters in the MDRs. I've always thought this was because waiters have to carry heavy trays laden with several meals at a time. I know that I couldn't do that! We were served in the speciality restaurant by females but they only served one table at a time.
                              Hi Jill

Well I did it - I worked in UK hospitality during my student days in the '70s and it was only female serving staff in the dining rooms.

I have seen female waiters in MDRs most often in NCL.

I am trying to recall my days working in bars - what was heavier?? a full tray of pints of beer or a tray of plated meals??

Even in the traditional Italian family run hotels, female waiters although rarer are not uncommon as I witnessed in the 1990s

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X