• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liverpool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mags, cardiff
    started a topic Liverpool

Liverpool

I have just read that Liverpool has lost its UNESCO listed status. I knew that its status was under discussion and the decision has now been made.

The waterfront is a special place with unique buildings, both individually and as a group. The 3 Graces, as they are sometimes known, includes the former HQ of Cunard shipping. Whether arriving by cruise ship or the Mersey ferry (I have done both) the waterfront made a stunning backdrop. Liverpool was a great setting to the Cunard 3 Queens event a few years ago when we were on QM2.
    The 2 cathedrals also add to the city.

I knew Liverpool well in former years.

Possibly the designation is 'just paper' and a 'title' but as with other localities awarded UNESCO status I feel that it does add something.

• Gill Nickson, Albox
    replied
    Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

Thats ok, thought you might have typed an H instead of an M. Was going to visit
    Another opportunity missed, Andyn!

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post

Thanks JC enjoy your stay in your hometown.If your are going to the Cavern will you be nipping into the White Star? 😀
    Hi phil
    My hometown is Widnes,,,I’m a wollyback…but now we are in the Liverpool City Region near enough.

Btw,,,the hotel is 30 James St…….not Castle St.

Good pint in the White Star,,,,a must for Cunarders on a visit to Liverpool with all the memorabilia.

JC

Leave a comment:

• philhar, wallasey
    replied
    Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi Phil
    Believe it or not,for the lack of a holiday,I have booked myself,wife,daughter and husband an two grandkids into the 30 Castle St hotel for one night next month.
    In 40 years of marriage my Brummie wife has never been to the Cavern,,it’s down for a late afternoon visit without the kids.

The hotel is a S&H venue at weekends,,I’m assured it’s quiet on a Tuesday night.

My 7 year old wants to go to the Watersports centre on the Albert Dock,,,Paddleboarding.

Enjoy the wedding.
    JC
    Thanks JC enjoy your stay in your hometown.If your are going to the Cavern will you be nipping into the White Star? 😀

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

HI JC

Keep me out of it - weekends and S&H too obvious even for me and I have never used that expression.

Annie

PS off topic is the Rugby League World Cup now toast??

Hi Annie.
    Looks like it,,meaningless without the two best countries.

JC
    Last edited by jc, liverpool; 23rd July 2021, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• andyn, Bucks
    replied
    Hi Andy
    Stag & Hen.
    Sorry,I was doing an Annie
    JC

Thats ok, thought you might have typed an H instead of an M. Was going to visit

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Hi Andy
    Stag & Hen.
    JC

HI JC

Keep me out of it - weekends and S&H too obvious even for me and I have never used that expression.

Annie

PS off topic is the Rugby League World Cup now toast??

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

Starsky & Hutch
    Hi Andy
    Stag & Hen.
    JC

Leave a comment:

• andyn, Bucks
    replied
    Hi Phil
    Believe it or not,for the lack of a holiday,I have booked myself,wife,daughter and husband an two grandkids into the 30 Castle St hotel for one night next month.
    In 40 years of marriage my Brummie wife has never been to the Cavern,,it’s down for a late afternoon visit without the kids.

The hotel is a S&H venue at weekends,,I’m assured it’s quiet on a Tuesday night.

My 7 year old wants to go to the Watersports centre on the Albert Dock,,,Paddleboarding.

Enjoy the wedding.
    JC
    Starsky & Hutch

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Hi Phil
    Believe it or not,for the lack of a holiday,I have booked myself,wife,daughter and husband an two grandkids into the 30 James St hotel for one night next month.

Enjoy the wedding.
    JC
    Last edited by jc, liverpool; 22nd July 2021, 10:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• philhar, wallasey
    replied
    Hi John
    Unfortunately they have Victorian drains to go with the Victorian tiles.
    JC
    Indeed they do,JC lovely to look at but not so nice to smell.
    Cracking pub though with 2 small rooms as well as a large room .I love the fact that one of the small rooms is called Brahms and the other is called Liszt.
    Will be in there in 2 weeks for a pre wedding drink for our son's wedding

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
    Hi JC,
    Amazing. Must be one of the poshest public toilets in the country. A sign of the great wealth in Liverpool's past.

I guess it is only basket ball players that can look over the top of the stalls to see what their neighbour is up to.
    Hi John
    Unfortunately they have Victorian drains to go with the Victorian tiles.
    JC

Leave a comment:

• JohnR, Chippenham
    replied
    Hi Helen
    The ‘Phil’ is a good old fashioned pub who’s main caim to fame is Victorian tiling in the gents toilets.
    Ladies can go in to have a look but adhere to the notice on the wall outside.

The ‘Phil’ is on Hope St,,,,it’s only in Liverpool that the then council would name the street that links the RC Cathedral (Paddy’s Wigwam) to the Anglican Cathedral at the other end Hope St.

Btw,there is a great restaurant opposite the ‘Phil.’ called The Refinery,,,highly recommended.

858D83CA-8A34-446C-B6BA-932567F25397.jpegE5FC281F-4F1E-43F6-9C82-F84D9328FCD5.jpeg
    JC
    Hi JC,
    Amazing. Must be one of the poshest public toilets in the country. A sign of the great wealth in Liverpool's past.

I guess it is only basket ball players that can look over the top of the stalls to see what their neighbour is up to.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear
    replied
    Have enjoyed a number of trips to Liverpool. Love those tiles JC.

Doubt if losing UNESCO status will make much difference to most people. In fact the publicity about this will probably attract more people to see what on earth they are on about.

Odd that developing derelict land should lose the status when it's a good distance away. Yes the football stadium is a modern building but so is the Museum of Liverpool really close to the Royal Liver Building.

It would be interesting to find out who the voters were in the secret ballot. "Nowt as queer as folks" they say but some organisations are definitely odd!

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Hi Helen
    The ‘Phil’ is a good old fashioned pub who’s main caim to fame is Victorian tiling in the gents toilets.
    Ladies can go in to have a look but adhere to the notice on the wall outside.

The ‘Phil’ is on Hope St,,,,it’s only in Liverpool that the then council would name the street that links the RC Cathedral (Paddy’s Wigwam) to the Anglican Cathedral at the other end Hope St.

Btw,there is a great restaurant opposite the ‘Phil.’ called The Refinery,,,highly recommended.

858D83CA-8A34-446C-B6BA-932567F25397.jpegE5FC281F-4F1E-43F6-9C82-F84D9328FCD5.jpeg
    JC

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X