• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liverpool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liverpool

I have just read that Liverpool has lost its UNESCO listed status. I knew that its status was under discussion and the decision has now been made.

The waterfront is a special place with unique buildings, both individually and as a group. The 3 Graces, as they are sometimes known, includes the former HQ of Cunard shipping. Whether arriving by cruise ship or the Mersey ferry (I have done both) the waterfront made a stunning backdrop. Liverpool was a great setting to the Cunard 3 Queens event a few years ago when we were on QM2.
    The 2 cathedrals also add to the city.

I knew Liverpool well in former years.

Possibly the designation is 'just paper' and a 'title' but as with other localities awarded UNESCO status I feel that it does add something.

Interesting read

Liverpool stripped of Unesco World Heritage status https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-57879475
    Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We’ve travelled around the world a couple of times and Liverpool is ‘up there’ with Singapore and Vancouver as one of the cities we love visiting.
      In cruising terms, no city gives Cunard a more heartfelt sail away than Liverpool and UNESCO might not value the waterfront now, but I do and so will thousands of others who will visit every year.
      Great city, great heritage and great people.

UNESCO's loss.

Comment

I lived in Chester and worked for 12 years on Merseyside (Ellesmere Port, the other side of the river from Liverpool) and had family in the area for 25 years after that. I know Liverpool very well but was unaware that the waterfront had UNESCO status. I'm not sure it will make much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker, Royal Wootton Bassett View Post
          I lived in Chester and worked for 12 years on Merseyside (Ellesmere Port, the other side of the river from Liverpool) and had family in the area for 25 years after that. I know Liverpool very well but was unaware that the waterfront had UNESCO status. I'm not sure it will make much difference.
          I agree I don't think it will make slightest difference. Liverpool's pride may be hurt.

Annie

PS I have visited and liked Liverpool but no intention of rushing back.

Comment

From a locals' perspective it seems more than a little odd, that having built modern buildings near the Pier Head ,some of which are less than aesthetically pleasing,Liverpool is actually losing its status because of redevelopment 2 miles away from the main waterfront.
            This area has been derelict for decades.Presumably had they left it derelict they would have retained Heritage status.
            Honestly, you do wonder sometimes....

Comment

Seems the Toffees are to blame...I wonder whether it will still be allowed to go ahead.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ited-as-reason

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                From a locals' perspective it seems more than a little odd, that having built modern buildings near the Pier Head ,some of which are less than aesthetically pleasing,Liverpool is actually losing its status because of redevelopment 2 miles away from the main waterfront.
                This area has been derelict for decades.Presumably had they left it derelict they would have retained Heritage status.
                Honestly, you do wonder sometimes....
                As I understand it, one of those developments is the new Everton football ground. I don't say this because I'm a football fan but I don't see how making use of a derelict area whose original purpose has gone, never to return, detracts from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker, Royal Wootton Bassett View Post

As I understand it, one of those developments is the new Everton football ground. I don't say this because I'm a football fan but I don't see how making use of a derelict area whose original purpose has gone, never to return, detracts from it.
                  I’m with you on that one. About 12 years ago we went to pick up friends of ours from the Fred Olson cruise terminal in Liverpool. If I remember correctly it wasn’t much more than a shed/tent combination that was the absolute pits. We had to navigate through an incredibly derelict area to get to it as well and it really put us off ever thinking about cruising from there. We think the redeveloped dock area is amazing and had a fabulous time there with my sister a few years ago. In fact, once our Welsh friends can come up to visit we’d like to take them there to show them around, finishing with a trip to the Philharmonic...pub 😉.🍹🍻

Take care. Helen

Comment

Further to visiting Liverpool. Eleven years ago we went to visit our friend in hospital there and had to pass through the neighbourhoods that John Prescott had earmarked for demolition. It was tragic to see all that sturdy Victorian housing stock boarded up and whole areas left to rot instead of being properly refurbished. It broke my heart as the piecemeal policy now in place of selling a house here and there is not exactly getting the job done in a timely manner. Oh well.

Take care. Helen

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                      Seems the Toffees are to blame...I wonder whether it will still be allowed to go ahead.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ited-as-reason

Garf
                      Hi Garf
                      Why would it be stopped?
                      It will be a magnificent addition to the city,,,the days of having Hugh stadiums in city centres are long gone,,,,Goodison Park is run down built in the middle of an estate full of terrace houses (like Liverpool FC at Anfield),,,,parking a nightmare.

The new stadium at Bramley More Dock will have parking galore,no neighbours to upset,eating places and more importantly clean up a derelict area of the old dock system.

People of Liverpool won’t give a toss about UNESCO they are too busy enjoying themselves.

JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                      "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
                        Further to visiting Liverpool. Eleven years ago we went to visit our friend in hospital there and had to pass through the neighbourhoods that John Prescott had earmarked for demolition. It was tragic to see all that sturdy Victorian housing stock boarded up and whole areas left to rot instead of being properly refurbished. It broke my heart as the piecemeal policy now in place of selling a house here and there is not exactly getting the job done in a timely manner. Oh well.

Take care. Helen
                        Hi Helen
                        That Victorian sturdy housing stock was the Welsh Streets area in Toxteth,,,hundreds of rat infested terrace houses falling down.
                        In my opinion they should have been knocked down after the war,,,,it was the usual people with rose coloured glasses who thought everything old should be wrapped in aspic wanted them ‘done up’,people who mostly wouldn’t have lived in one for a gold clock.

JC

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                          Hi Helen
                          That Victorian sturdy housing stock was the Welsh Streets area in Toxteth,,,hundreds of rat infested terrace houses falling down.
                          In my opinion they should have been knocked down after the war,,,,it was the usual people with rose coloured glasses who thought everything old should be wrapped in aspic wanted them ‘done up’,people who mostly wouldn’t have lived in one for a gold clock.

JC
                          I’ll take your word for it.

Take care. Helen

Comment

To illustrate JC's point this is the Mechanics' Institute in Swindon, part of the former rail works. It was a cultural, educational and health centre for Swindon's rail workers. It had a library and theatre amongst other things. It has been closed for 35 years and is quite literally rotting away. The photo, if anything, is flattering. It looks a lot worse than that in real life and internally it is totally wrecked. Flaky owners have come and gone but nobody has come up with a viable plan for it and after this length of time they aren't going to. But the preservation groups keep blocking the inevitable. Sometimes we have to accept that we cannot preserve everything. In Swindon's case large parts of the former rail works have been successfully re purposed so the town's heritage is well evidenced. The snag? It's Grade 2 Listed.

IMG_9271.jpg

Comment

Hi Helen
                              The ‘Phil’ is a good old fashioned pub who’s main caim to fame is Victorian tiling in the gents toilets.
                              Ladies can go in to have a look but adhere to the notice on the wall outside.

The ‘Phil’ is on Hope St,,,,it’s only in Liverpool that the then council would name the street that links the RC Cathedral (Paddy’s Wigwam) to the Anglican Cathedral at the other end Hope St.

Btw,there is a great restaurant opposite the ‘Phil.’ called The Refinery,,,highly recommended.

858D83CA-8A34-446C-B6BA-932567F25397.jpegE5FC281F-4F1E-43F6-9C82-F84D9328FCD5.jpeg
                              JC

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X